Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

So a 56 case. Both sides match. Other case that came with it is also a 56.

Case and heads looks very nice. Has correct fuel pump and generator I need. Also a crank nut. The distributor is a vj4br2. Came with two vju4br8 and both look excellent,

Crank seems to be bigger where pulley goes on. Am I nuts or is this a thing? I guess more research. haha

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Got my birth certificate

So its an April 54 delivered to VW of Canada. Assume that was the early office on Yonge St

M010 -
M018 - Larger reflector in brake light (seems wrong?)
M020 - MPH speedometer
M083 - Warning triangle (haven't seen this anywhere)
M086 -
M090 - Laminated windscreen glass
M099 - Snow tiers, tubeless

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Cool.
I believe you are correct about the Yonge street location

Latest known information is here on the site:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest2.php

M18 is suspected to be sealed beam headlights
M83/86 are unknown but common to N. American Barndoors

I don't know why they put warning Triangle for M83 - That's a Bug M-code not sure of year/application
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I thought that the headlights were upgraded at dealers for north america. Maybe that was earlier ones. I read through all the BD posts twice and have retained at least 2.5% of it. I now have a vague recollection of lots of stuff and no idea were to check. haha
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Very exciting to see yet another Canadian barndoor emerge.

Equally exciting to see it will be brought back stock.

Best wishes and good luck!

Heinz Nordhoff
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I thought that the headlights were upgraded at dealers for north america. Maybe that was earlier ones. I read through all the BD posts twice and have retained at least 2.5% of it. I now have a vague recollection of lots of stuff and no idea were to check. haha

Hmmm, that is a valid point too.
I'm not sure where that guess on M18 came from but I know I added it to the list a long time ago.
It is listed with a ? mark so not proven.
It could be 53-55 or 54-55 only

18/83/86 are on a lot (maybe all?) N. American delivered Barndoors but I don't know if one or all of them were used for other locations
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Have you considered keeping the doors on the drivers side?
I think they're real cool and are a big part of its history, not many barndoors like that.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Most of the VW sealed-beam headlight assemblies with date codes from 1953 and 1954 end in "18." I seriously doubt they were only produced on the 18th day of each month, so the "18" representing the M018 option seems logical.

However, there are multiple varieties of the "M018" external lighting option, depending on export market. That may be where those unidentified "M08X" options come into play. For the U.S. and Canadian markets, "M018" represents the combination of M083 and M086, meaning sealed beams and red brake lights. For Sweden, there may be a different M08X option for the large rear reflectors that make up their market's M018 option and a different M08X code for Switzerland, with the chevron-shaped reflectors. Perhaps someone will find a date code inside a taillight housing ending in a number between 80 and 89.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Have you considered keeping the doors on the drivers side?
I think they're real cool and are a big part of its history, not many barndoors like that.

I suspect the bus was not modified when new but after some time. I don't have any history on the doors but suspect they were added to make transporting people and luggage easier. Also suspect it was used as a bus in Nova Scotia to transport from a small community to larger areas but have found no evidence.

I will see the previous, previous owner again and maybe he will remember a bit more of where it came from. If enough history is found and it was indeed a community bus then a very slim chance at a maybe. Smile
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Was looking at the BD a bit. Thought it had a bug tank and they just ran the filler through the body. Turns out it had the correct tank and someone added the new filler and chopped off the original. If i could find a filler pipe, or better yet a full top, I could rebuild this tank. The rest of the tank metal sounds good and solid.

Was looking at the shocks and figured they were frozen. Both move nice with resistance. Should be a easy rebuild. Smile

Took out the front mat. Mat is a little rotten but not going to throw it out. haha. Freed up the park brake. Expect I will need to cut the pin anyway but nice to have it moving.

Found a handle part under the mat. Was thinking I would make new handles and this will give me the correct shape to build the parts to.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Moving some stuff around today. Some old engines to one of the barns and new engine and transmission to the shop.

Pressure washed the transmission and got some of the crap off. Going to take some work to get it clean. Case looks perfect. It is a 55 (edit: actually a 56) so not sure it is correct but good enough for now. I will get it apart and see what it needs.

Put the engine on the stand so it would be easier to move around. An unknown engine on a stand was too much for the curiosity so it ended up stripped a couple hours latter Smile

The oil is the consistency of half dried molasses and smelled of rotten gas. And there was 1/4" layer of tar in the bottom.

Heads look great. They will get new valves and guides. I need to check the push rods once I find out how but will likely get a new set. First piston looked great, Second one to come apart was a mess so will get new piston/cylinder set.

Crank looks good but flywheel dowels are beat out. So if I use this crank they will need drilling. I have another 36 to tear down and see if the crank is better.

Connecting rods look good.

Case looks great but will need to clean it up a little more and do some measuring. The bearings were nice and tight and thrust looked good.

Maybe I will get the parts washer filled and running tomorrow...

Last edited by sgellis on Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Before I can check the transmission I need to get the drums off. Somehow I got to this point in life without needing a drum puller so made one from scrap in the shop. Used two grade 8 nuts and some threaded rod.

Put grease on the threads and it works great. Left the threaded rod full length as I plan to find a grade 8 bolt with 6" of thread to replace it.

Got fancy and painted it black and put it with the rest of my special VW tools.

So trans looks to be the correct for a 54 but a little new. Doing some research and it seems all the synchronized split case trans are the same except the 3rd and 4th gear sets. Was surprised to find the deluxe and convertible bugs have same ratios as the BD. This week I hope to get in it and see what shape things are in.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Dug into the trans tonight.

Overall it looks good. Case is excellent. All bearings feel perfect. even the reductions. I may not replace all the bearings as this will not see high millage anyway. Will need to spend some time inspecting them before deciding they are good.

First gear has had some rough times but may be usable. The main shaft may need changing anyway as the clutch splines look rusted. Hard to tell if that is just rust buildup or actual deterioration. Will be able to tell soon as I hit it with the wire wheel.

Shifting forks look good but didn't measure them yet. Hockey stick looks good also.

Third/forth gear sets look perfect. Engagement rings look good but will need to get them out and have a good look. Also need to find out if they have high teeth that can be removed and if they can be swapped between third and forth like the newer transmissions.

Now I need to read through my manuals and search for any helpful info on rebuilding these.

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Stan. are you aware of the fact that BD vs post March 55 buses use different reduction gear housings and torsion plates ? later buses have 4 bolts ansd squarish plates. Bd has 3 bolts with the axle tube running in a cutout, much like on a beetle. also the track width of the later plates are ca 80 mm wider in total. neither parts are interchangable between BD and 55up. BD has shorter torsion bars and axles.
everything could be made to fit with welding or custom parts. but generally speaking a BD is closer to a beetle in design.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Stan. are you aware of the fact that BD vs post March 55 buses use different reduction gear housings and torsion plates ? later buses have 4 bolts ansd squarish plates. Bd has 3 bolts with the axle tube running in a cutout, much like on a beetle. also the track width of the later plates are ca 80 mm wider in total. neither parts are interchangable between BD and 55up. BD has shorter torsion bars and axles.
everything could be made to fit with welding or custom parts. but generally speaking a BD is closer to a beetle in design.

Yes. I am hoping to get the original reductions form previous, previous owner. If I do not find a set I will use the later ones with adaptor plates to bolt the newer reduction to the BD spring plate. That will allow the dampers to connect up correctly. It will be an easy swap out when I eventually get correct reductions.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

not sure if this will work when you want a stock height bus.
bd spring plates connect to the upper RG box bolts (hence the cutout for the axle tubes. later spring plates bolt to the bottom of the RGB. that makes a lot of difference in wheel camber/srping plate angle/ride height.

sgellis wrote:
[ If I do not find a set I will use the later ones with adaptor plates to bolt the newer reduction to the BD spring plate.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
not sure if this will work when you want a stock height bus.
bd spring plates connect to the upper RG box bolts (hence the cutout for the axle tubes. later spring plates bolt to the bottom of the RGB. that makes a lot of difference in wheel camber/srping plate angle/ride height.

sgellis wrote:
[ If I do not find a set I will use the later ones with adaptor plates to bolt the newer reduction to the BD spring plate.

The plan is an adapter that basically changes the mounting of a newer reduction to the BD mounting. This is 1/4" steel and will have a backing plate to sandwich the spring plate. I haven't done a mock up yet so likely a few changes.

Edit: this will not work as DB spring plate cutout will not fit later reduction casting

Last edited by sgellis on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Interesting, this will keep the BD spring plates in position and looks to be working fine. I see you got the engineering part covered as usual, bravo ! all's well then ! Very Happy

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Looked at the trans a bit more

Went to pull reverse gear and found copper tube used as a pin. Pulled it with a drill bit. Reverse gear is usable.

Input shaft spline is usable. Had to drive a clutch on so just needs a good blasting. The tip is going to be ruff in the gland nut. I could build it up and turn it down... First gear is not great either. I believe it is usable though. It should really have a new input shaft and first gear ring.

I will pull the stack apart and inspect everything. From the outside it looks good. I can just throw the trans together and see how it works. I know where there are some old transmissions I can get cheap so might be worth grabbing them. Long shot that first will be any better but never know.

My phone does not like to focus on shiny gears.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

I was getting everything sorted for my engine and discovered I have two types of conduit. Some with open seam and some closed. I have not noticed this before.

So what conduit is correct for a 54? When did they change?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: