Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition Switch Issues....T4 EUROVAN
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColdPorkSandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Ignition Switch Issues....T4 EUROVAN Reply with quote

Hello

My family were all packed and ready for a road trip. Turn the key, nothing. I'm glad, it didn't happen on the road, but in our parking spot.

I assumed I would replace the ignition switch, like in vanagons, but apparently MUCH harder to reach.

Nothing... I messed with alignment of the switch, Nothing. I put in some silicon lock key powder, the key turns much easier now. But issues still there.

I noticed, when you feal behind the lock where the switch goes, nothing is turning or moving... which makes me think the Lock Cylinder got damaged.

I've asked my guru's, people tell me I can go to a locksmith to get fixed (few I talked to had no idea what I was talking about), and others tell me to just put a toggle switch. I don't mind this if it was hidden and almost be a kill switch, but messing with auxiliary power would be a mess and it isn't very clear.

I can drive it, with a screwdriver and the key in it.

My question.

If i replace the cylinder. Will my key stop working, or how does the chip interplay with the cylinder. I only have one key, and after this is over, i'd like to have 2 for a backup.

If I did go to a locksmith, what do I ask? And how do I make sure it'll start with a properly chipped key in the ignition.

I'm generally stumped. The cylinder is $180 on ebay, and I don't' want to buy if if my key stops work or the chip isn't working.

How does that chip work?

Sigh.. thanks so much, i've been sitting on this a month trying to figure out how to proceed, any help would be VERY APPRECIATED.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1987 Westy 2.1 2wd (current)
2002 Euro MV (current)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Issues....T4 EUROVAN Reply with quote

There are two parts of the ignition switch; the mechanical and the electrical

The mechanical
Is very robust and needs locksmith technique

The electrical lasts about 100k
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Issues....T4 EUROVAN Reply with quote

Your problem is typical of the electrical part going bad. I can take a look at it if you want. I’ve got a spare electrical part of the ignition. I’m in north Seattle.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Issues....T4 EUROVAN Reply with quote

ColdPorkSandwich wrote:
Hello

I noticed, when you feal behind the lock where the switch goes, nothing is turning or moving... which makes me think the Lock Cylinder got damaged.

Yep, the cylinder is broken. If you take the new one to your locksmith they should be able to re-key it to match your existing key. Any immobilizer function is tied to some module under the dash that's connected to that black ring at the end of the lock cylinder. It doesn't care if you put in a new lock cylinder, the ring is just an antenna.

For that matter, re-keying vw lock cylinders isn't that hard, especially if you have the old one to rob wafers from. There are youtube videos on how to do it out there.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Issues....T4 EUROVAN Reply with quote

If it’s the metal part, see this write up I did.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743231&highlight=
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ColdPorkSandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Issues....T4 EUROVAN Reply with quote

SOOO MUCH HELP

Thank you all... I got to study and take this all in this weekend then fix it next week...

Thanks so much.. super super appreciated
1987 Westy 2.1 2wd (current)
2002 Euro MV (current)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SocalSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Issues....T4 EUROVAN Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
If it’s the metal part, see this write up I did.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743231&highlight=

Yes the tab broke on mine at the bottom of the cylinder and had nothing to do with the electrical ignition switch. It broke while motor was off but key was in "on" position leaving my dashlights illuminated. I used a screwdriver to drive around for a bit but had to keep key in cylinder for the chip and steering wheel lock.
I followed Joshwa's thread, and getting that tiny screw out is a pain and requires some patience. Good luck and you could probably do the road trip with a screwdriver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: