Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Cam?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Which Cam? Reply with quote

I posted this on the Oval forum and the crickets kept me awake for 3 days! Very Happy
I have rebuilt many, many VW engines from 40hp, 1300, 1500, 1600 and I have even built a couple of larger ones from scratch. However, this 36hp cam thing has got me flummoxed: +1,+2, 0, -1, -2. What the heck? is there anyway to figure it out when I don't have the original cam that was in the engine to begin with? I really don't want to have to buy several cams just to see which one works. TIA Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: CAM? Reply with quote

Try this there's more helpfull information ..just remember 40hp/1600cc cam gears are not the same as 36hp if your looking for new cam gear for a 36hp the porsche 356 aluminum gear will work and 40hp/1600cc straight cut gears would work also ....try here
👇👇👇
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525264
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CAM? Reply with quote

I was able to determine that the one cam I have is a -4. I am going to see if I can get a couple of other cams and stick with the one that "fits" best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CAM? Reply with quote

Soooooo, what does it mean if a cam has NO markings? No 0, +1. -1 or nothing.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CAM? Reply with quote

It should be marked...but if not most likely its a 0
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CAM? Reply with quote

I have been over it multiple times after a rigorous cleaning, and inspection under a hand lens, no marking. There are production numbers which are present on the other cams but no other markings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: