Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear axle bearing help needed....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Here’s a guy whose livelihood and reputation can be marred by one unsubstantiated claim of BS.............

I don’t know Roy but why should he have to share his intellectual property with anyone. But he has, so it just shows his integrity to try to keep his good name.

Good on you Roy. I’d buy off you anytime.

Well said.
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

skeptical at first but ive been converted. Ive actually been all thru the web page and interested in trying some heads from him in the future. these guys seem to do real decent stuff. i can dig it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Old post, I know. I was just doing some digging into making a bearing puller, so have been reading a few threads and I have a question.

Within this thread, it appears that German OE bearings came with plastic ball cages. Is that true? I would have figured on metal cages on anything from Der Fatherland.

Am I missing something, or can/did German bearings have plastic cages?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Old post, I know. I was just doing some digging into making a bearing puller, so have been reading a few threads and I have a question.

Within this thread, it appears that German OE bearings came with plastic ball cages. Is that true? I would have figured on metal cages on anything from Der Fatherland.

Yes, there are many OEM transaxle bearings that use plastic cages. The outer swing axle tube axle bearings did have versions with plastic cages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Yes, there are many OEM transaxle bearings that use plastic cages. The outer swing axle tube axle bearings did have versions with plastic cages.

OK thanks. I guess I didn't mention it specifically, but I was thinking about the outer rear axle bearings in a swingaxle trans.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Dennis, You can pick the plastic cover out of the bearing with an exacto knife.
Then you could use your newly made tool to remove the bearing from the axle.

I tried making the Idiot book bearing tool a few years ago. It kept slipping out of the bearing when the tension was applied.
As an alternative. I removed the trans side cover nuts. Then used a three jaw puller over the end of the axle and bearing housing. The housing pressed the bearing off the axle with little effort.
I did this after fighting the bearing for 2.5 days. Twisted Evil

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I tried making the Idiot book bearing tool a few years ago. It kept slipping out of the bearing when the tension was applied.
As an alternative. I removed the trans side cover nuts. Then used a three jaw puller over the end of the axle and bearing housing. The housing pressed the bearing off the axle with little effort.

I did the Muir tool many years ago, with limited success. I am a little better at fabrication these days, so I might try again with some improved hardware.

For many years I had access to one of the proper (expensive) pullers, but not anymore. So I figured I would make something for the random time I might need one.

If I'm in my shop, and don't mind destroying the bearing, I will weld things to it for removal.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

If I'm in my shop, and don't mind destroying the bearing, I will weld things to it for removal.

In my bearing battle, I tried welding something to the bearing. That didn't work out either!
Maybe a TIG torch can get hot enough to weld a puller to the hardened bearing shell.
But hey. If you are successful. Please let us know what you made/did.
Good Luck!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: