Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU get pulled over for?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
first was a cop having a bad day....off duty...pissed off and decided to take it out on somebody else... he is dead now, shot due to being effing stupid.and probably having another bad day. the 2nd was another stupid police man... who said I didnt come to a full stop at the stop sign....well hers your sign. he said I rolled through it...I didnt.I stopped at the line. noy 10~ 15 feet past where the line should be and the guy in front of me stopped like most do. you can not fix stupid. he then asked if my 8 year old daughter would get out of the car so I could run over her foot Shocked .yup.I told him he could put his foot in front or behind the wheel and I would park in it if he wished me to.I thin tole him what a moron he was.and asked him to show me where I should stop....he said without looking at where the line was at the line of coarse... I told him to look at where the line was...he did and said you can go. like I said you cant fix stupid. they sit about 400 feet away watching that inter section almost every day...lots of fraudlent income from that line placement...well reallly from the crokkeedd stupid cops and people that are clueles. this town has a nation wide reputation for being a police trap. yup they even hide in the bushes. and was featured on 2020 or 60 min or one of those tv shows. it's not quite as bad in the past 5 years or so. but you still better be paying attn to the speed limit and stop signes&lights. 40 mph limit is not 42 mph.

Just don't break any laws and you'll save sooooo much money. Trust me, it's not that hard!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Growing up in L.A., I was 19 years old in my '68 bug with freshly installed dual Kadrons and was feeling like Mario Andretti. One night I driving on the Pomona freeway, when a CHP lit me up, but I kept driving for about 3 miles, then decided to pull over before I made the news as a "police pursuit". The police officer approached my bug saying "Give me one reason why I shouldn't haul your ass off for running from a police officer" and remembering I had heard this same scenario in a joke before, I replied "My ex wife ran off with a CHP officer and I thought you were bringing her back!" He then chuckled and said "Have a nice day" and gave me my driver's license back. Laughing Laughing
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tunacious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I owned a 69 Cal bug in high school, orange county, ca. It had a 1776, with Engle 125 cam, high lift rockers, big heads with 42 X 37.5 valves and 42 DCNF carbs and a close ratio gear box. It ran mid 14 at 92 mph at OCIR and bug in's. It was common to do a little street racing in the late 70's and I ran a Chevelle on Brookhurst street past the Do-nut shop where the police hung out. We got lit up and I pulled over right away. The Cop said, you were ahead of that guy, why did you pull over? I had no answer. After checking ID and insurance, the cop said, if you show me what you did to beat that Chevelle, I will let you go. This was 1/4 mile from where I lived. I agreed. He showed up a few days later, and I had a parts list for a 1776 like I ran and a list for a 200 hp 2 liter with prices and where to buy. About 3 months later a primered bug pulled up as my friends were playing pool in the garage. I told the guys who it was and we went out to see a nice 2006 CC with 48 IDA Webers. He had a few friends to race at the drag strip. I got lucky to avoid a night in jail, but this guy was cool.
tunacious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I will share my brother's story in Huntington Beach, on Edwards street. He had a 65 Cal Bug with a little 1641 and Kadrons and a 437 ring and pinion gearing.
It was a peppy little car. He is sitting in 2nd position on a 4 lane road. Light turns green and the cars separate nicely so he punches it and weaves around three cars. He is watching the tach and winds out each gear to red line until he hits 80 mph. This is a 40 zone. He looks up and a police lights him up. He pulls over and the cop ask, did you not see me behind you? Uh, no, I did not. The Cop says, I saw you go around those cars and I followed and you went, 20, 30 , 40 , 50 60, 70 and then 80 mph. I thought I had better light you up or you were heading to 100 mph. He got a big ticket for that one. It pays to look behind you from time to time.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Years ago i got pulled over for speeding. The cop said I was doing 85mph on the LIE. It was 6:30am on a Sunday and i was going to work. The cop said he used to have a Beetle but it didn't have a big exhaust like my car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He let me go and said he's there every Sunday. So the next Sunday I was doing 55mph and waved as I passed by.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

when my brothers and I were racing Go KARTS we used our 72 BUS (the family car for 6 kids ) to get to races The bus had a 1.7 that had headers and holley weber 5200 . One race we had a part break that no one at the race had a spare for so I hopped in the bus to go get a new part . was pulled over by a cop who said that he had me on radar at 85 mph but he said that could not be right as he never saw a BUs go faster than the speed limit and let me go with a warning.

same bus going to university got stopped for speeding going up a hill at 5 mph over the 50 limit . at the point he he saw me my momentum was losing to the hill and I would have been under 50 very soon . still gave me a ticket though for only 5 over
Bambergvr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Growing up in Florida, in high school, I had a 63 Bug with a 40 horse, then during my Senior year a 68 KG with a 1600 DP. I never was pulled over for speeding, it was always like tail light out, no bumper, or cracked windshield. Fairly harassing as I think about it now. I do remember getting pulled over one night in Cocoa Beach/ Brevard County Deputy Sheriff, I was in the Army on leave, drove my 70 Cal Look Bug from Kentucky to Florida, I had my girlfriend and another couple with me in the car, we had just left a convenience store, bought a case of beer, headed to the beach to party. We had just popped open a couple beers, when I was pulled over. My buddy hid the beer under his legs in the front passenger seat, covered with a jacket. Anyways, I was pulled over for no bumpers, I had nerf bars. It had Kentucky plates, but I had a Florida drivers license. The officer asked why, I told him I was a Soldier stationed in Kentucky, he then told me he was also in the Army, we chit chatted a bit, then let us go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Got pulled over by a county sheriff in the '66 Beetle Monday morning. Burned out headlight. Just got a warning. Those headlights were in the car when I bought it in 2010 and it had sat since 1990, so unless someone had replaced the headlights on a dead car, they were at least 30 years old. I replaced both of them.
AKdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

One night, I was racing along dirt Mulholland Drive above L.A. in my '70 bone-stock bug ,way too fast, and rolled it. No biggie, but the windshield popped out and broke, and I just couldn't justify spending thirty bucks on a new one...so I drove around without one. As long as I kept the windows up, the interior would pressurize, and, voila, no problem, even in the rain! Whenever I saw a cop coming my way I'd turn on the windshield wipers to make it look like I actually had glass- a mind trick, I guess. It worked great.

Well, a couple months later, fate had it one day that me and my buddies were coming back from surfing in Ventura and had our boards sticking out the front window, when a CHP approached from the opposite direction on PCH with a funny look on his face. I couldn't turn the wipers on 'cuz the surfboards were in the way, so he had me dead to rights, I was caught. He asked me all the dumb questions like, "what in the hell are you doing driving without a windshield for?!!!", and, "dont you know a rock could come through there and kill you?". Of course I acted remorseful so all he gave me was a fixit ticket. I let it go for another month until they threatened me with a bench warrant or some nonsense until finally, I forked out the $30 and replaced the dang thing.

Sold the bug and moved to Alaska. That was 40 years ago.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Just installed the big old 750 Demon carburetor on my turbo bug so had to 'test drive' so my buddy and I went uptown, darn thing would not idle down,, 2000+ rpms ,, I kept sabbin the throttle to try to get it down,, was sitting at the flashing light(we don't have a traffic signal in our county),, saw a car coming thinking,,,shoot, I can beat that across the intersection,,, took off smoking rubber,, looked it the rear view,,, local cop had his lights on before i got across the street,, told my buddy "I'm going to jail" ,, what? why? cop behind us Shocked well he said," I did notice ur have a problem and since u live a few miles down the road,,,, Have a nice day" Cool Cool Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daisy71 wrote:
drs1023 wrote:
In 1979, I was driving east on Fingerboard Road crossing over Interstate 278 on Staten Island in my '74 SB. On the west side of the bridge, the speed limit was 45 mph. I knew that the speed limit immediately dropped to 35 mph on the other side of the bridge, so I was in "gear down coast" mode. When I went past the 35 mph speed limit sign in a small curve, a New York City police officer was standing there with a hand held radar gun. He motioned for me to pull over, so I went around the curve to find a line of at least a half dozen drivers in their cars waiting on their speeding ticket.

When my turn came, I was ticketed for running 37 in a 35!!! End of month make-up tickets for sure.

I live on Staten Island, still a butt load of cops down there, I never had an issue though.

Half the family still lives on the Forgotten Borough

It used to be you never got cited because so many NYPD live there, so tickets were tinned out.

Now there are traffic cams everywhere and summons’ are automatic
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I haven't even been pulled over for over 20 years but if it does happen again, it will be because I'm going too slow.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
I haven't even been pulled over for over 20 years but if it does happen again, it will be because I'm going too slow.

im with you on that one. 15 years for me. living life at a mosey. life is too short to be in a rush.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

A curious thing happened to me several years ago. While on my way to work on a Saturday morning around 5 am I witnessed a fatal traffic accident, he didn’t die right away it took about 30 days, he left a wife and two small children.

The other driver a woman high on drugs up all night driving the wrong way going up a hill hit him head on, I saw this. I did report it. When the man died it made the papers and I came forward and gave a statement to police.

I also received a summons to appear at a preliminary hearing as witness. I testified but she and the hotshot lawyer manufactured a story about a deer causing her to be in wrong lane. The DA let her cop to a lesser charge and she got off having killed the man. Justice is blind isn’t it?

Anyway since that time I’ve been pulled over a few times for speeding and my name must be on the cops list because once they run the numbers I always get off with a warning. That bitch that caused the fatal accident was laughing in court, meanwhile a man is dead, a widow and two kids are left to wonder what happened.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:

im with you on that one. 15 years for me. living life at a mosey. life is too short to be in a rush.

Let's put it this way. When I'm in Amish country, I'm the slowest one on the road!
kingstrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

My 63 Bug is way too slow to get a ticket but plan to install a 1.8 from a 914 soon. My old 1.8T GTI though? Geez I prolly got pulled over a half dozen times in that thing.
buglover34465
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

when I first got my Vw on the road every cop in the town pulled me over just to look it over. The city of Seatack (between Bremerton and Seattle) makes its living harassing old car drivers as they can write the most tickets after their spontaneous safety inspections. Once the car was painted they left me alone. Until that point, they tried everything from dim headlights. tail lights to no mirrors on the doors. The car is right-hand drive so my favorite one happened when taking my girlfriend home (she lived in Seattle) the cop pulled me over and then proceeded to ask me for her drivers license and other papers. I asked him why he wanted her driver's license and why we were pulled over. The original 25 HP motor topped out at 56 MPG so IT was definitely not for speeding.
He said my 6 v headlights and tail lights were dim and the break lights were not working. After a bit of repeating of why her drivers liciense I finally asked him to shine his light on on my hands which were in front of me. When he did I said see the wheel in my hands its for steering which means I am driving not her. I then schooled him on the fact that my antique 1951 vw bug has a 6V electric system with incandesent bulbs not 55 amp halogens like his squad car. He was looking for drunks and I did not fit the bill, Plus it was obvous he had no clue who was driving so he waved us onward and we left.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Back in 2010 my wife and I were letting the Ghia stretch its legs up highway 9 near Peekskill when she yelled cop!, but it was too late. On the shoulder, after the formalities, the cop asked, "Why were you going so fast, sir?" and I, never noted for thinking fast, just blurted out, "It's a beautiful road!" The cop actually smiled, handed back my license and registration and simply said, "Be safe." Our cruise around Bear Mountain that day was the best ever. Cool
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I was singing along to "Come Sail Away" by Styx. A cop followed me for nearly 45 minutes, and finally pulled me over heading down a sketchy secondary road to get to my ex's cottage.

"It's probably not smart pulling you over in the middle of nowhere, but did you yell at me?"

"No, I was singing Styx."

"Oh that's a much larger fine!"
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: What did YOU get pulled over for ? Reply with quote

Loving all the great stories .

Things is : cops only have to deal with problems and you may know the old saying when your only tool is a hammer (pinchbook) everything looks like a nail .

In the late 60's well into the 80's driving an old VW and having long hair or simply being young was cause enough almost anywhere in The wider Los Angeles area .

Yes, I did plenty of silly and dangerous things and got my share of tickets, for a while there in the early 70's I was on a first name basis with a Pasadena Traffic Commissioner .

I'm old and white so these days I don't often get stopped in spite of my '59 being a junkyard reject .

I figure all the times I go away clean, I can handle a ticket now and then .

Those who like to make noise and burnouts, no complaints, it's what you wanted : ATTENTION .

I remembered some good old stories but forgot them by the time I finished reading all five pages here .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: