Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Judge
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: The Judge Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
here comes The Judge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

just picked this ‘77 westy up in Killington Vt from my new friends Jane and Jack. I consider it a good deal. $1700

130k original miles, obviosly needs alot of tin work, which I will do myself. i terioris all og and in great shape. OG 2000GD FI and 6 rib installed. didnt even try to start it. it will get a psuedo-CS build eventually.

just adding more to the collection.

So we picked up this bus a month or so ago, and it got pushed out back for now. The previous owners, Jane and Jack have had this since about 1990 i believe. They had bought it off the second owner, who happened to be a Judge, hence their name for it. Being an ole softy for those that care enough to name their rig, I told them when I bought it, that as long as I own it, it will always be known as “The Judge”.

I also told them while I was being considered as a buyer, that I plan to repair (not necessarily restore), rebuild, and put back on the road some day. I believe that I got this bus even as others were offering more for parts, due to the fact that I was sincere in my vision of where The Judge could be someday.

Well today I finally got a chance to pull out the interior and store in the basement. What a great relief to find absolutely pristine cabinets, seats, cushions, curtains, hardware, etc. they had taken the time about 20 years ago to completely remove the interior and store it indoors. Their plan back then was to repair the cancer and wanted access to the inside floors and walls. Things happened, and it got left outside for 20 years. BUT, the interior was high and dry, and man is it nice!

Original seats that look only a few years old. The sink cabinet still had the spare tire bump out box, and the icing on the cake, was finding these little treasures!

That’s right, the original ice cube trays! I know its not the yellow pail and all, but I’m thrilled either way. (It did have the buddy box, just no pail).

I also found coffee cans clearly labeled with every single screw or bit of hardware from when they took the interior apart. Right down to letters and numbers that correspond to locations on the cabinets and trim pieces. Very anal yes, but what a treat to not have to hunt for bits and pieces later. I have boxes and bins of loose hardware, and I’m sure I could find what i need…eventually.

So this is on the back burner for a few years, but already bringing me joy just emptying it. What great fun it was today. Cheers. Will update this thread in about 5 years.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

It’s getting close to where I need to come see you and the Judge , eat Pig, Bear, and drink Porter.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Nice. This is kinda like the Cape Cod bus I found last year. Looks like it’s got some typical VT crust, but otherwise a great foundation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Wow, the interior looks great and should clean up really well! The body looks a bit rough - how is it underneath?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

The late bay camper setup is beyond awesome.....
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Awesome, good score!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

I'm disappointed. I was expecting a GTO.... Cool . Nice interior!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s getting close to where I need to come see you and the Judge , eat Pig, Bear, and drink Porter.

We’re on for oct 9. Same deal, pig, bear, venison, wild turkey, and were about 95% sure we will have a band this year.

This years brews:

Scotch Ale
Saison
Belgian Golden Ale
Imperial Nut Brown Ale
Citizen Cider
PBR

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Wow, the interior looks great and should clean up really well! The body looks a bit rough - how is it underneath?

It’s crusty in a few spots but they are repairable/rebuildable areas like jack points and the rear frame where bumper mounts. The bumper mount area is pretty bad, but its just a box channel that I can cut back and weld in some steel to make a new box structure to the rear face of the corners, which will get cut off and replaced as well. Once the corner is off, it will give all the access needed to rebuild that box area.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

I also told them while I was being considered as a buyer, that I plan to repair (not necessarily restore), rebuild, and put back on the road some day. I believe that I got this bus even as others were offering more for parts, due to the fact that I was sincere in my vision of where The Judge could be someday.

This usually works. Worked for me when I bought, worked for me when I sold.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

We’re on for oct 9. Same deal, pig, bear, venison, wild turkey, and were about 95% sure we will have a band this year.

This years brews:

Scotch Ale
Saison
Belgian Golden Ale
Imperial Nut Brown Ale
Citizen Cider
PBR

Should be there about noon. I’ll bring my Navy Officer School recruiting material, too.

Looking forward to it, Jay
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

This years brews:

Scotch Ale
Saison
Belgian Golden Ale
Imperial Nut Brown Ale
Citizen Cider
PBR

Should be there about noon. I’ll bring my Navy Officer School recruiting material, too.

Looking forward to it, Jay

This years brews: What about the Wild Turkey?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Wild turkey?

I tried three shots , but all missed

That nut lager was delicious
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

Not to burst you bubble but i think the ice cube trays were aluminum Embarassed

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:

Damn you man! That’s it, I’m out. Can’t have anything nice.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

The wild turkey got left in the freezer ( actual turkey, not the booze), as the host got too wrapped up in other areas. But the beers were nice, as Abscate mentioned. I was partial to the Scottish Ale, but all four were well received. And appropriately drained by nights end. The PBR trash can barrel was still pouring however.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Judge Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:

1977 was a one year only mod fir plastic ice trays due to an Aluminum shortage in West Falia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: