Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

Does anybody have any experience with this kit? Thinking about getting one, but was wondering how effective it is and/or if it is worth installing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The other "full-flow" style kits are pretty common, but I don't believe they fit with a stock exhaust? (which I enjoy having). I don't feel like drilling extra holes for a remoted filter system either.
I just use my car gently on the weekends. Nothing high performance.
Just want to provide any useful extra protection that I can to help of give my engine the longest life possible.
Thanks.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

This will restrict the inlet side of the oil pump, and is a poor choice. A better idea is to do one of the oil pumps that CB sells with the NPT holes, and then you can run an external filter off of oil lines, mounted up out of the way.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

Wasting your money...just change your oil every few months and don’t worry about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

I'd put my $$$ into a combination pump/filter unit like CB Maxi2. I have those on both my VWs, the first for 4 decades now.....

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I'd put my $$$ into a combination pump/filter unit like CB Maxi2. I have those on both my VWs, the first for 4 decades now.....

This won't work with a left side heat riser muffler.

It will with a right side heat riser muffler. Buy They're hard to find! And very expensive. Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

I installed that kit in my first buggy, back in the early '90's. It worked just fine. It has a relief valve in the bottom so I don't see why it would be any more risky than a filter after the pump. There is even a motorcycle paper filter element that you can get at your FLAPS instead of using a cleanable stainless filter (that's how it came back in the '90's.)

With the cleanable stainless filter they have now it seems mostly like an improved version of the stock strainer. I may consider it for my current buggy.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

You can definitely run it, but for his low use vehicle, the stock setup will work just fine for a long time
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I installed that kit in my first buggy, back in the early '90's. It worked just fine. It has a relief valve in the bottom so I don't see why it would be any more risky than a filter after the pump. There is even a motorcycle paper filter element that you can get at your FLAPS instead of using a cleanable stainless filter (that's how it came back in the '90's.)

With the cleanable stainless filter they have now it seems mostly like an improved version of the stock strainer. I may consider it for my current buggy.

I have never seen this before and was thinking the restriction on start up with cold oil could be a problem. Then I saw the the relief valve. I personally would try it on an engine I couldn't or didn't have tapped for full flow. The Bus and type 3 come to mind where the mustache bar is in the way. It has to be better than the stock screen and it does protect your oil pump where a conventional full flow filter does not do.

These comments are made assuming that a temperature appropriate oil weight is being used. All those stuck on using road tar for oil, this would not apply!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

I think if I was a pump, I would rather have a restriction on my discharge rather than on my suction side. It would keep me happier. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

The only place i think i would consider one would be on an autostick or something that was not driven often or hard.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

Thought bubble...

I would only use this with a late style pickup tube that is bolted to the bottom of the engine. The spring on the bottom that compresses and seals the stack isn't stiff but I think the pickup should be supported with any spring tension against it. My old buggy engine was a DP engine.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Mini Sump w/ filter kit 17-2872 Reply with quote

If you're just puttin around town and generally kind to your motor, use a good quality high zinc sae 30 oil and change it every 1k. That's it. You can easily get 125k+ out of the bottom end of the motor this way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: