Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

scammers... how they get you...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
petergariepy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

My Text Exchange in response to a WTB Ad:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2496864

+1 (208) 800-5644:
Hi, My name is Jeff and I'm Thesamba member, I saw your ad looking for Vanagon fronts seats to purchase, I text to let you know that I have Vanagon fronts seats available for sale and if you're still looking to purchase then text me so I can send you pics with details. Thanks

Peter:
Send Picts. Location ?

+1 (208) 800-5644:
I'm located in Idaho and should I text you pics or should I email you pics?

Peter:
Txt is fine. Price? And any clue on shipping?

+1 (208) 800-5644:
Let's me send pics before discussing price and how much do you want to spend buying from me?

Peter:
Lol. Not a clue what I need to pay.

+1 (208) 800-5644:
Okay, let me send you pics so we can go from there

INSERT PHOTOS TAKEN FROM THIS POST FROM 10 YEARS AGO:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401712

Let's me know your interest?
Sorry, my phone went off and just charged it so let's discuss if you receive the pics I just sent you?

(he tried to call me at 11pm here)
Peter:
Sorry. With people. Can't answer. Not marching? The gray is correct. The brown is a jump seat maybe?
Matching

+1 (208) 800-5644:
They are the same
Yes and the gray is matching and can we discuss now?
You can use the seats for your bus at the same time
I can do $200 shipped
For both of them

Peter:
no. they are very different. One is gray. One is brown. More important, one has the adjustable armrest, the other does not. And the brown one doesn't have the headrest. I'll pass.

Be well
oh... and you stole the images:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401712

Buyers beware out there!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

just had a local guy get his quad stolen. met the buyer at a local commuter lot

buyer went on a 'test drive' and never came back.

thought to myself well, there's a lesson on keeping the gas tank on fumes.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

I met the buyer of the car I sold recently at the local Police Station. I figure if they do not want to meet there forget about it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Yes, text scams are VERY common now.
Yes, they often use photos stolen from the internet - eBay, other sites, or even from other ads here.
Apparently Forum threads too, as you found out.

Info in the Scam thread here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253

The phone # you listed is already listed there.
I think I added it recently based on another report to me.
They get new phone #s all the time.
If you (or anyone) gets any numbers that are not listed there, please let me know.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Just use common sense and you'll be fine.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I met the buyer of the car I sold recently at the local Police Station. I figure if they do not want to meet there forget about it.

+1

I do this for nearly everything I buy/sell on FB marketplace, craigslist, etc. Unless it's a well vetted mutual friend or something very low value.

At my last house it was very convenient that the police station was a mile from my house, and next door to the local Black Bear Diner. I always told them to meet at black bear, and parked in the parking space directly in front of the door to the police station.

One time the guy came to meet me, and messaged me (through Facebook marketplace) as soon as he was in the parking lot to ask what car I was in and where I was parked, so that he could find me. I told him where I parked, and said it was because there were no open spaces next to the diner. He immediately said nevermind and left, then blocked me on Facebook. This was to sell some rather expensive aquarium lighting. I can't help but feel if we met somewhere different it may not have gone so well.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

I met the buyer of the 2005 Yukon I sold recently at the corner strip shopping center. She was fine with that as well, she had the cash and her husband sent her to buy it. She didn't even want to test drive it as I'd talked to her husband about it by phone, but finally decided to ride along as I drove it 3 miles to show her it ran well, AC worked, etc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I met the buyer of the 2005 Yukon I sold recently at the corner strip shopping center. She was fine with that as well, she had the cash and her husband sent her to buy it. She didn't even want to test drive it as I'd talked to her husband about it by phone, but finally decided to ride along as I drove it 3 miles to show her it ran well, AC worked, etc.

She needs to learn some life skills. She did a pretty dangerous thing, getting in a car with a stranger.

Obviously, you were legit, but it easily could have gone differently for her.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Maybe but what if she was armed, things aren’t always as they appear to be😀
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

So yer sayin' that maybe good ol' Cusser "dodged a bullet" that time?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Jennepher wrote:

That’s some pretty high praise for Cusser.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

+1

I do this for nearly everything I buy/sell on FB marketplace, craigslist, etc. Unless it's a well vetted mutual friend or something very low value.

At my last house it was very convenient that the police station was a mile from my house, and next door to the local Black Bear Diner. I always told them to meet at black bear, and parked in the parking space directly in front of the door to the police station.

One time the guy came to meet me, and messaged me (through Facebook marketplace) as soon as he was in the parking lot to ask what car I was in and where I was parked, so that he could find me. I told him where I parked, and said it was because there were no open spaces next to the diner. He immediately said nevermind and left, then blocked me on Facebook. This was to sell some rather expensive aquarium lighting. I can't help but feel if we met somewhere different it may not have gone so well.

Wow that's kinda spooky. Makes you wonder what this guy was gonna do or what his plan was.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Maybe but what if she was armed

She was armed. She had a left arm and a right arm.

CanStan wrote:
Jennepher wrote:

That’s some pretty high praise for Cusser.

I am "The Cusser" - she obviously had heard of my reputation and accomplishments !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

They get you to post on Fora, tell you if you buy a little yellow star you will get respect , then some guy who abuses the letter K comes along and ruins everything , and brings you cold coffee.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I had a friend that picked up a girl that was hitch-hiking in VT. When they got to the MA line he told her not to be alarmed, but he had to take the gun he had under the drivers seat unload it, and put it in a lock box since he wasn't licensed to carry in MA.

She told him that since he seemed ok she would put her gun away too. She had had her gun in her hand tucked under her bag the whole time she had been riding with him. Smart girl.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I had a friend that picked up a girl that was hitch-hiking in VT. When they got to the MA line he told her not to be alarmed, but he had to take the gun he had under the drivers seat unload it, and put it in a lock box since he wasn't licensed to carry in MA.

She told him that since he seemed ok she would put her gun away too. She had had her gun in her hand tucked under her bag the whole time she had been riding with him. Smart Vermont girl.

Fixed it for ya Laughing

My daughter meets people at a Park n Ride near our house for stuff she is giving away for free, anything else it's at the State Police barracks right up the road, we did meet a guy at the park n ride last week to sell a $250 antique sewing machine, I did have my .9 milly in my pocket.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Jennepher wrote:
Cusser wrote:

She needs to learn some life skills. She did a pretty dangerous thing, getting in a car with a stranger.

I agree 100%, had a friend in college who (although a civil engineering student) did the most bone headed things like get in a truck with a bunch of guys she didn't know because she was mad some guy at the bar wasn't paying attention to her Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ... I'm pretty sure things went badly once or twice. Shocked

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Caitlin never gets bothered at bars, but she walks in with a bent tire iron that looks like a pretzel.

Get your Volvo fixed, M? I’ve got everybody rolling Volvo this month!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Caitlin never gets bothered at bars, but she walks in with a bent tire iron that looks like a pretzel.

Get your Volvo fixed, M? I’ve got everybody rolling Volvo this month!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not yet - she goes in sometime in October. Both the bus a wagon are getting big fixes this next month.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: scammers... how they get you... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
just had a local guy get his quad stolen. met the buyer at a local commuter lot

buyer went on a 'test drive' and never came back.

thought to myself well, there's a lesson on keeping the gas tank on fumes.

I have never let a potential buyer test drive my vehicle without me going along for the ride.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: