Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘76 high idle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

The choke is powered from the + on the coil the tube for accelerator cable should go through the front sheet metal (behind the fan shroud) so the cable doesn't fray. Brain fart on barrel nut mount.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

Reverse lights
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The choke and idle cut off also originate from the 15 side of the coil. Track 52 is where the coil is. This is for a carbureted motor.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
76 Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

Thanks VW Jimbo, but can you tell me what size fuse the one for the lights is? Also can you dumb-down the second diagram for me, I am no good with schematics.
Thanks,
Andrew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

Here is a nice simplified wiring diagram from Speedy Jim site that shows how the single black #15 wire coming from the fuse box powers everything in the engine compartment.

The inline fuse for the reverse lights is an 8A (white) fuse.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
76 Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I’ll get this sorted out soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
76 Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

Okay, so I am trying to decide if I should rewire the car because a lot of the spade connectors at the fuse box have just pulled off the wire, and there are a bunch of disconnected wire that I don’t know where they go. Also a lot of the wires are not as flexible as they should be. So my question here is, because of the different engine, should I look at the ‘76 wiring harness or the ‘68 harness? What changed besides the fuel injection? I would also like to note that I have in no way made a final decision, this is just to see what makes the most sense. Thank you all for you input.
Andrew
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

‘76 Bug wrote:
Okay, so I am trying to decide if I should rewire the car because a lot of the spade connectors at the fuse box have just pulled off the wire,

Missing or loose terminals at the end of the wires are not enough reason to replace the entire harness. It is much easier to replace crimp on terminals than it is to rerun a harness.

‘76 Bug wrote:
...and there are a bunch of disconnected wire that I don’t know where they go.

Reconnecting disconnected wires are all you will be doing with a new harness so this too is not enough reason to replace the harness.

‘76 Bug wrote:
Also a lot of the wires are not as flexible as they should be.

Ok, stiff or brittle wire insulation is a good reason to run new wires. But often it is just the ends of the wire that have gone stiff. If you have enough excess length where you could snip off the ends leaving you clean new flexible wire that just needs a new ends terminal, this is a much less expensive solution. You will need to assess what percentage of the wiring can still be used.
Just a word of warning... while a new harness can fix issues caused by bad quality wires... it WILL create new issues rated to indirectly connected wires. If you are unwilling to take the time to troubleshoot electrical issues, consider adding the cost of professional installation along with the cost of the new harness.

‘76 Bug wrote:
So my question here is, because of the different engine, should I look at the ‘76 wiring harness or the ‘68 harness?

If your body is mostly '76 go with a '76 harness. From around '71- onward Beetles came with 12-fuse fuse boxes. Your '76 should have 12 fuses. If you use a pre-71 harness it will lack the wires for the two extra fuses.

The earlier harnesses will still provide the basic needs but will lack some of the extra circuits that came in the later model years. I would not go earlier than a '72 harness as a replacement for your '76 Beetle.
jhvw1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

‘76 Bug wrote:
The distributor that’s on it has a notch and bump that line up to get the timing, the little clips do not clip anywhere else unless the notch and bump are lined up, so adjustment is not an option.

I noticed your comment about your distributor not being adjustable. You're looking at the distributor cap. It only goes one way. There's a clamp a the base of the distributor you loosen then turn the entire thing to adjust timing.
76 Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

Those are some good points about the harness ashman, I’ll just get it going for now and later on down the ROAD hehe, see what I did there, I can redo that stuff. Thanks for the tip jhvw1976 I do remember seeing it there.
76 Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

So I got the choke all set up, and it works great, but it still idles at high throttle, if I push the gas pedal it starts to bog a little as if it’s at full throttle. Could this be a float adjustment? I did adjust the distributor, I moved it a little ccw and it bogged a little so moved it a little cw until it bogged down then back to the smoothest sound and that was just where it was before.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

‘76 Bug wrote:
So I got the choke all set up, and it works great,

Glad you got this working. Did you find out what was wrong? This helps the next person with a similar issue.

‘76 Bug wrote:
but it still idles at high throttle, if I push the gas pedal it starts to bog a little as if it’s at full throttle. Could this be a float adjustment?

Did you confirm the carb throttle arm moves to the fully open position (throttle plate vertical) when the accelerator pedal is pressed to the floor?
Does the throttle plate fully close (throttle arm screw resting on the cam) when the pedal is released?
Does the throttle arm/plate open smoothly as the pedal is pressed?

Earlier, you problem was the engine rpms didn't change until the pedal was pressed 3/4 the way down. Is this still an issue? If not, what did you do to fix this?

The engine rpms should increase as soon as the throttle plate opens from idle. Is this happening? When the throttle plate opens, the rush of air down the carb causes the mixture to go lean. To compensate for this, the accelerator pump squirts raw fuel down the carb. You can see the fuel coming out of the U-shaped brass tube that points down the carb throat. If the brass tube is not squirting fuel as soon as the throttle arm is moved there will be hesitation and the engine may actually bog as the throttle is opened.

‘76 Bug wrote:
I did adjust the distributor, I moved it a little ccw and it bogged a little so moved it a little cw until it bogged down then back to the smoothest sound and that was just where it was before.

You have not yet described your distributor. What make/model is the distributor. The 30Pict-1 carb was matched with an SVA vacuum-only distributor. If you are running a different carb this could cause issues.
Ignition timing adjustments are based on the installed distributor and not the model year of the engine (unless your engine still has the original distributor). Adjusting the ignition timing by ear as you have done may work at idle but you run the risk of over advancing the ignition timing at higher rpms. It is best to adjust the timing according to the distributor model installed in the engine.
76 Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘76 high idle Reply with quote

I believe I stated this before, but the electric choke was wired to the reverse lights, so neither worked.

Since then I have solved my problem, two words. Vacuum Leak. When I put in a new generator I pulled the intake manifold off. When I put it on, one of the studs on the right cylinder head (the one towards the front of the car where you can't really see) so when I put the manifold pipe one it moved off the gasket. Making a huge gap. Now, I was doing research the other day on general reasons and the vacuum leak came up. I do a lot of work with old Wheel Horse garden tractors and one thing I learned was if you suspect a vacuum leak spray some flammable carb or brake cleaner at any and all seems and if the pitch of the engine changes while it is running then you have a leak. So I was lead to the manifold - head gasket area. Now it idles normally.

I do not know what distributor I have. The base does not know what distributor I have. I also find it important to note, I put the old carb back on to see if that fixed anything about a week ago. I am going to put the new one again sometime this week to see if it changes, since this carb has a few issues.

Thanks,
Andrew
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: