Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbee introducing Old Rusty
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike075
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Hello
I am a newbee with previous air cooled experience. Thanking you all in advance for any problem solving advise I will need. I am starting a weekend driver resto. on Old Rusty. Wish me luck. She is about as rough as they come but I am all about bringing back the classics. Always been in love with the classic styling of the Ghia. You will be hearing from me soon, P.S. I started the rear deck lid repair already.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Looks like this is going to be fun!
Might you consider “Cammo”?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Welcome!
It looks like it will be monumental resurrection.
I will be following Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

My 69 has all the starting rust symptoms with the headlight mounts, nose grills, dash face, pans, etc. as your is. I will be watching this thread, show me what I'm in for. Cool
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Welcome Mike, many of us have been at the stage you are at, so lot's of experience here. You can use the search bar for any specific topics, or look at the threads at the very top of the Forum pages for "How To" topics and the other rebuilds to give you ideas how to approach. I'm sure you will find most topics have been covered. If you can't find something then just put a question to the group in your build page.

To start, get that bug bumper off the front of that Ghia it really doesn't do the camouflage look any good!! Joking. Good luck, we'll be watching!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Hi Mike, sounds like you've been around for a while so I extend a welcome to "Old Rusty". It's always good to see another Ghia getting a second chance, especially on the east coast. I have to say, you are courageous but someone has to do it. Is Old Rusty a 1970 or 1971? I'm putting a 71 back together. I will be watching your progress.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Mike075 wrote:

Patina is all the rage these days. Give 'er a squirt of clearcoat and call it good. Wink
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

So the first thing you're going to need is a Tig welder. Old washing machines and dryers have a lot of good sheet metal and are cheap to free and the porcelain is real rust resister, just cut out your pieces and weld them in.
Mike075
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

She is a 1971 Coupe. Rusty as all get out but interior was complete. Had to start by stabilizing the tunnel and bat wing. Cannot remove body yet. Welded 14 gauge steel to tunnel and bat wing on right side. I am going to post a blog. 1000 uses for rusty metal.J As for welding, mig with gas is my forte. Sorry. The beetle bumper is not staying , either nerf bars or OEM bumper from the classified.It does give the car that certain pathetic look though. The lovely paint scheme is a vw red, followed by a vw pistachio green, and followed up by white house paint. Has a nice chalk effect when you rub against it. I will pick out a color down the road,way down it.Replaced the right inner and outer rear fender with used ones I got from a nice fellow in Washington State. You guys and ladies are the best. Started to remove heater channel and associated rusted dog leg and round inner front fender since the bottoms were missing. Photos will follow as the fun begins. My wife is onboard with this project so I feel like i am in heaven. The bottom of the inner rear fender well was made from a lawn tractor exhaust grill cover. You can just make out the OT from the hot that was stamped on it. Much heavier and the O is right where the torsion bar hole will be cut out.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Nice to see another one getting saved.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Mike075
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Sorry there have been no posts recently. I just retired and have been very busy. So far We have installed 2x2" square tubing for support rails where the heater channels were. Cannot afford new ones. It is very strong. Can jack it up anywhere along the side which I like. I know the purest will not like that but I am on a fixed budget. Parts for heater channel and floor pans are crazy. Also fabricated my own floor pans from 18 gauge sheet metal with 14 gauge angle around the circumference of the outer area. I will post pictures this week. Keep in mind I am not looking into the value of this car just want it safe and fun to drive. It is very strong and now will be a unibody car for the rest of its life as I cannot remove the body at this point. We tried but it is too weak and we will loose the geometry of the car if we do. Also repaired the rusted out section of the front right rear fender . Original is like swiss cheese. I promise to post pictures this week. Sorry to all those that wanted an oem restore but at this point I just do not have the money. Just allot of time to fabricate and lots of metal. Hope you understand. Having built beetles and a 914 I do have a clue how to save this rust bucket. It just might not be to your way but the look will remain perfectly stock.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Mike075 wrote:
Sorry there have been no posts recently. I just retired and have been very busy. So far We have installed 2x2" square tubing for support rails where the heater channels were. Cannot afford new ones. It is very strong. Can jack it up anywhere along the side which I like. I know the purest will not like that but I am on a fixed budget. Parts for heater channel and floor pans are crazy. Also fabricated my own floor pans from 18 gauge sheet metal with 14 gauge angle around the circumference of the outer area. I will post pictures this week. Keep in mind I am not looking into the value of this car just want it safe and fun to drive. It is very strong and now will be a unibody car for the rest of its life as I cannot remove the body at this point. We tried but it is too weak and we will loose the geometry of the car if we do. Also repaired the rusted out section of the front right rear fender . Original is like swiss cheese. I promise to post pictures this week. Sorry to all those that wanted an oem restore but at this point I just do not have the money. Just allot of time to fabricate and lots of metal. Hope you understand. Having built beetles and a 914 I do have a clue how to save this rust bucket. It just might not be to your way but the look will remain perfectly stock.

There are a lot of us that get your way of thinkin'.
No doubt you will have a safe and attractive car when you are done----and "done" being the key word here. Too often we see projects get stalled while striving for perfection and the car ends up in the trash after the funeral.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Mike075 wrote:

There are a lot of us that get your way of thinkin'.
No doubt you will have a safe and attractive car when you are done----and "done" being the key word here. Too often we see projects get stalled while striving for perfection and the car ends up in the trash after the funeral.

Many would have never attempted to even try. I give you much respect for going for it!
A tip from a fellow retiree, take it easy and don't promise too much Smile

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Newbee introducing Old Rusty Reply with quote

Mike075 wrote:

I don’t blame you. Ghia replacement metal is not only pricey, but is of very low quality over all and very limited in choice. You can’t even get the correct lower rear fender sections for early cars let alone an entire rear fender which is the most difficult section to repair. It’s like we are still in the Stone Age of Ghia restoration with having to fabricate most parts. We need Autocraft or klassic Fab to step up and produce for the Ghia market.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: