Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New MC. Hard Brake Peddle
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

I recently replaced a single circuit MC whit a dual circuit one. I replaced all the brake shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware and the rubber hoses. I bled the brakes using a power bleeder. Easy bleeding. But I push the brake peddle and it barely moves. Perhaps maybe an inch or so. I raise the car up on jacks and the wheel are very tight, maybe a half rotation. Has anyone run into this? And what might remedy this? I've done brakes before on VW"s.. never a problem, so I'm somewhat perplexed with this one.. Any help is very much appreciated. Oh ,.. almost forgot....I have no brake lights as well. I might have wired them wrong. Any diagram on how to wire dual circuit?.. Thanks again....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Did you try backing off brake shoe adjusters?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Switches for the brake lights is just power in and power out. You can just wire one switch and leave the other unwired as a spare for when the first one fails.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Make sure the pushrod has a small amount of clearance when the brake pedal is fully released and against the stop. Could also have the brakes adjusted too close to the drum.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

The brake shoes are all backed off. The wheels are hard to rotate. I did notice that I had a hard time putting back the drums, but they could still move. I will check the push rod, might have to readjust it. ?...... Thanks all..
7sam7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=...re-size%2F
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Quote:
The brake shoes are all backed off.

Are you very very very sure?

Two star wheels per wheel right? Tighten both shoes until they are firm against the drum. Then back off each little star wheel the same amount of clicks.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Well I had some time this evening. I got the wiring done , wala.. The brake lights work, But still brake peddle to hard . I lifted up the front of the buggy. and checked the driver side wheel. Wouldn't budge. ,passenger side turned one and a half revolutions. Guessing the back ones might be the same. Guess I know what I'm doing this week end.!....Hopefully...I'll readjust them, then check the peddle rod...Fun......
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Check whether shoes are oriented correctly. One end goes in wheel cylinder piston; other end is angled and goes in adjuster screw head slot, which also is angled. Be sure it's angled to urge shoe toward cylinder.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Did you set your pedal free play?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
I recently replaced a single circuit MC whit a dual circuit one. I replaced all the brake shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware and the rubber hoses. I bled the brakes using a power bleeder. Easy bleeding. But I push the brake peddle and it barely moves. Perhaps maybe an inch or so. I raise the car up on jacks and the wheel are very tight, maybe a half rotation. Has anyone run into this? And what might remedy this? I've done brakes before on VW"s.. never a problem, so I'm somewhat perplexed with this one.. Any help is very much appreciated. Oh ,.. almost forgot....I have no brake lights as well. I might have wired them wrong. Any diagram on how to wire dual circuit?.. Thanks again....

You'd do well to invest in a repair manual.

You always adjust the drums before bleeding.

And set pedal travel & pushrod clearance between MC & pedal...

B
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Didn't adjust the free play yet, but I was talking to VW vendor here by me, he's says sometimes when you introduce air into the lines after MC install you might get whats called hydrolic lock. He's sometimes you might have to just open one of the brake valves , if you will,...and let some of that pressure out. Might have to do it to all valves,to see if the might make a difference.. Then readjust the brakes, then if need be readjust the push rod. Can't today but this week end.. to be continued...
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

This can't happen if the pushrod is adjusted correctly.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&a...ajaxhist=0
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Didn't adjust the free play yet, but I was talking to VW vendor here by me, he's says sometimes when you introduce air into the lines after MC install you might get whats called hydrolic lock. He's sometimes you might have to just open one of the brake valves , if you will,...and let some of that pressure out. Might have to do it to all valves,to see if the might make a difference.. Then readjust the brakes, then if need be readjust the push rod. Can't today but this week end.. to be continued...

Umm... No.

Your VW vendor is incorrect.

B
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Will be working on the brakes next week, I'll post what I find. This Sunday is the VW show in Farmington NC. I'll be there. You all are welcome to come as well, if your near by...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

I know this is an older thread, but I'm having the same issue I had on my last post. A hard brake peddle when depressed but no brakes. And the brake peddle bounces back, or peddle to far forward towards the rear of the buggy. I purchased a new MC rod for some where on ebay, and I suspect it may be to long. Are there different lengths of these pushrods for different years of bugs? I thought I had this fixed, but the buggy has been sitting around for a few months while I took care of other issues with it. Got those done, now this again. Never ends. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

Hard pedal and no free play at drum's (drum's should rotate freely with only slight whisper of contact) usually indicate free play in pedal not set correctly and "lock up" of brakes and MC are because port(s) from MC to reservoir is blocked..

Would be ports 1 & 2 in bottom of sketch...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC. Hard Brake Peddle Reply with quote

If the drums were hard to get on, you have a problem. Pull the drums and check that the adjusters are installed correctly. With the adjusters backed off the drums should spin freely.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: