Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

B5 Passat front suspension frustrations
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

Have any of you had experience with the upper control arm pinch bolts seizing in place? I'm in the middle of swapping springs and spacers onto my '04 Variant TDI and both the upper pinch bolts are completely seized. I was able to get the LF off eventually, but only after breaking out the torch and pissing off the neighborhood by using my high decibel air hammer. The RF is stuck even worse. This is far and away the most annoying front suspension I've ever serviced

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

Common problem. Soak them daily with Kroil or PBlaster a week or so leading up to your intended day of service, remove nut & try working bolt head back & forth, then resort to heat, & then, ultimately, air hammer/chisel.

It’s a design flaw the allows water/salt into the void to sit & stew.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

I think if they'd of just turned the center of the bolt down it wouldn't seize as easily. Actually, just having a separate pinch bolt for each joint would probably be even better.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

I finally got the second pinch bolt off by dragging my real oxy/ace torch out of storage and getting the upright cherry red. Worked like a charm, but it definitely sacrifices the UCA joints and boots.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

I finally got the whole front suspension rebuilt and the lift spacers in place. This was absurdly difficult to accomplish, and probably took several years off my lifespan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

y u rune klassik?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

Looks good Casey.

I have to ask, is this B5 the replacement for the C4?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

Unfortunately the daughter finally killed the C4 when she plowed into a Prius. That tough old Audi took a lot of abuse from the kids.

I ended up pulling those wheels from the Passat, as the BFGs were downright dangerous in the rain.

y u rune klassik?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I finally got the whole front suspension rebuilt and the lift spacers in place. This was absurdly difficult to accomplish, and probably took several years off my lifespan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi. How is the ride after the spacers? Im thinking of getting a set for my b5.5. Im guessing it should work out ok since our TDI's have a heavier front bias.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

It was a little twitchy, which I assume was due to the ET30 rims. With the stock Passat ET49 rims the ride is very good.

y u rune klassik?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: B5 Passat front suspension frustrations Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It was a little twitchy, which I assume was due to the ET30 rims. With the stock Passat ET49 rims the ride is very good.

Awesome thanks! Ive got the 17in sport rims so we'll see how they handle with the lift.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: