Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

I replaced batteries of an old tool set using Amazon sellers less than 2 years ago and now both replacements are useless. Does anyone have a suggestion of other battery replacement sites? The tool is a Makita the battery no longer available. I've done an extended search for the battery and would like to hear from the group for site suggestions or sites to avoid.

This group is amazing. Very Happy
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

I think they use Sony cells inside there and usually only one or two fail.

You can open them up and replace just the bad one. On the later ones there might be a control board to hack, though.

I’m still running all my Bosch batteries from way back to my first tool.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

I have several Makita tools that use the 7.2 volt 7000 series batteries. The original batteries lasted 20 yrs with weekly use. In 2015, I bought a replacement generic on Amazon and it's still going strong. It's branded "PWR+".

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

Makita WAS one of the firsts - really great, in it's hay-day, but now is so incredibly out-dated - Get yourself something yellow, made in America and 20 VOLT - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Makita WAS one of the firsts - really great, in it's hay-day, but now is so incredibly out-dated - Get yourself something yellow, made in America and 20 VOLT - z

Yellow? made in America? HUH? Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker. Not made in USA the last I checked. Pretty sure their headquarters are overseas, too, to avoid corporate taxes and all.

To the original point, most of the aftermarket batteries available online are knock-offs. Rebuilding your original pack isn't too difficult. I have not done it in awhile, but I did a few back in the day and they worked fine. I have moved on to 18V Makita tools. Most of which are now 16 years old and working jsut fine with regular, often heavy use. The OG batteries died long ago, but I keep going as long as my Makita tools keep going.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

I got an 18M Milwaukee lithium drill set in 2016, chose it as mt 40 year service award, love it except I accidentally push in the off/reverse switch sometimes. Weird was that the little $2 bit holder was not included, and not listed as existing in the owner's manual. I had to buy a pair of those online, attach with one screw, weird; even the local Milwaukee retailers like Home Depot and Ace didn't have those. Ace tried to order for me, later told me they couldn't....

Before that, I had 19.2 volt Ni-Cad Craftsman set including a stubby drill and a flashlight; the Craftsman drill had knock-off chucks which were terrible. But because I had the stubby and like 3 drills for their batteries - which were expensive - I bought a pair of no-name batteries from an Ebay retailer to keep those alive too, for times when the Milwaukee was at the other house.

So try Ebay retailers, Batteries Plus, etc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

This drill & vacuum kit I won at a tool show in 1988 worked until a few years ago. Unfortunately after taking the original battery case apart I disposed of it because I damaged the casing. I like the vac as the drill is useless and I now have a Milwaukee.

As for the USA tool companies selling out to other countries, please sell to a German company if you must sell. Wink
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
This drill & vacuum kit I won at a tool show in 1988 worked until a few years ago. Unfortunately after taking the original battery case apart I disposed of it because I damaged the casing. I like the vac as the drill is useless and I now have a Milwaukee.

As for the USA tool companies selling out to other countries, please sell to a German company if you must sell. Wink

Is yours the single stick pack, or does it have the hump with the extra cell?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Not made in USA the last I checked.

FWIW, I have a compact impact driver by DW, the plastic case and tool itself proudly display "Made in the USA" decals. In smaller print, they don't hide the fact that it's with (probably all) "global materials."

The tool itself does kick ass. It complements my matched set of Makita compact drill/driver and impact guns. I use the shit out of all those tools. The DW is this one: https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/impact...h/dcf887m2
It's great for automotive use for speedy removal of lengthy thread fasteners, stubborn galled or rusty fasteners, hammers the shit right off.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Not made in USA the last I checked.

FWIW, I have a compact impact driver by DW, the plastic case and tool itself proudly display "Made in the USA" decals. In smaller print, they don't hide the fact that it's with (probably all) "global materials."

The tool itself does kick ass. It complements my matched set of Makita compact drill/driver and impact guns. I use the shit out of all those tools. The DW is this one: https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/impact...h/dcf887m2
It's great for automotive use for speedy removal of lengthy thread fasteners, stubborn galled or rusty fasteners, hammers the shit right off.

Good to know. I didn't think any of their stuff, or any other cordless tools, were made here anymore. I do have a very nice Makita barrel handle jigsaw (corded) that was made in England. One the the nicest tools in my collection, and it runs smooth and perfect.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Yellow? made in America? HUH? Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker. Not made in USA the last I checked. Pretty sure their headquarters are overseas, too, to avoid corporate taxes and all..

try again

they are about 45 mins from me

https://www.commercialcafe.com/commercial-property...48%20Sqft.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Yellow? made in America? HUH? Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker. Not made in USA the last I checked. Pretty sure their headquarters are overseas, too, to avoid corporate taxes and all.

To the original point, most of the aftermarket batteries available online are knock-offs. Rebuilding your original pack isn't too difficult. I have not done it in awhile, but I did a few back in the day and they worked fine. I have moved on to 18V Makita tools. Most of which are now 16 years old and working jsut fine with regular, often heavy use. The OG batteries died long ago, but I keep going as long as my Makita tools keep going.

DeWalt is actually owned by Stanley Black and Decker. Headquarters is in New Britain, CT. Yes, some stuff is made overseas. Many of the DeWalt tools are built in the US with "global components". Show me one major company that doesn't use global components. SBD also owns many other major brands, including Mac, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Irwin, Bostitch and Proto, just to name a few. The DeWalt 20V system has more tools than any other one, I think.

FU#3
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

DeWalt is actually owned by Stanley Black and Decker. Headquarters is in New Britain, CT. Yes, some stuff is made overseas. Many of the DeWalt tools are built in the US with "global components". Show me one major company that doesn't use global components. SBD also owns many other major brands, including Mac, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Irwin, Bostitch and Proto, just to name a few. The DeWalt 20V system has more tools than any other one, I think.

Yep, I was wrong. I thought they had moved to overseas management in the early 2000's. Maybe it was just Stanley that had been set up that way, then when the were bought by B&D in 2010 that changed.

I do recall something about the head of Stanley being on some presidential advisory board back then, and it was pointed out that the company didn't pay corporate taxes here. Same thing with GE at some point.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I replaced batteries of an old tool set using Amazon sellers less than 2 years ago and now both replacements are useless. Does anyone have a suggestion of other battery replacement sites? The tool is a Makita the battery no longer available. I've done an extended search for the battery and would like to hear from the group for site suggestions or sites to avoid.

This group is amazing. :D

I had battery packs re-done and did also buy a new aftermarket pack. Waisted lots of money and they did last only a year. I even did rebuilt a pack, but it looks there are no good old battery style cells on the market anymore.

They make aftermarket adapters for Makita and other manufacture from old battery style to new battery style. However, you will need new style batteries and a new charger. Do a search for " battery adapter" and you will find them.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

I think this B7000 genuine battery on eBay will do the trick. Crazy that he want's $10.00 to ship. But I'd rather buy this than the replacements that only last a year or two.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194163627973?epid=12012032407&hash=item2d350dd7c5:g:D0oAAOSwt89gsGTM
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I think this B7000 genuine battery on eBay will do the trick. Crazy that he want's $10.00 to ship. But I'd rather buy this than the replacements that only last a year or two.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194163627973?epid=12012032407&hash=item2d350dd7c5:g:D0oAAOSwt89gsGTM

You are making the right choice. Even with the shipping cost it will be worth every penny.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

Thanks cdennisg, done, ordered.
I now feel better that I didn't add to the landfill Cool

cdennisg wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

You are making the right choice. Even with the shipping cost it will be worth every penny.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

Save that old one and I’ll give it a go for rework.

-Mister Sister
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Save that old one and I’ll give it a go for rework.

-Mister Sister

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Unfortunately after taking the original battery case apart I disposed of it because I damaged the casing.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool battery replacement site suggestions or to avoid Reply with quote

If flea markets around there are anything like the ones here a sketchy looking dude who looks like he's got an addiction will likely have a few potential battery case donors on their table of crap. Something that old may not even have been recently stolen and should sell cheap.
Now you know what not to do when dismantling them, the next time should go better.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: