Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

Robert,
Have you read through this thread on Mexi Beetles?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583972

Also, Hopkin seems to be the resident expert on these cars.
Antonio Trejo sells part for Mexi Beetles too. He may be able to lend a little knowledge to ya.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14183

Regarding the valve cover gasket. I am under the impression that they are not any different than a standard 1600cc engine valve cover. I could be wrong in this thought.
Any mainline auto parts store, should be able to order a gasket set for your engine.

Don't the Mexi Beetle engines, have hydraulic lifters?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

O'Reilly near me stocks cork gaskets in store, take a valve cover into store with you to check size
https://www.oreillyauto.com/search/v/a/17321/autom...ver+gasket
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
robertsfd2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the cover with the gasket I bought. At the widest point, the cover is 9 and 7/8 inches.

Thanks for the other thoughts/tips/links.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of the head that belongs to that valve cover?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

Gear and hub oil smells like onions it’s gross lol. Worst stuff ever to try to get the smell off your hands so don’t get it on your hands. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

robertsfd2002 wrote:
Here's a picture of the cover with the gasket I bought. At the widest point, the cover is 9 and 7/8 inches.

Thanks for the other thoughts/tips/links.

That looks like a super early gasket, like 25 hp, or 36 hp. Is there any chance you clicked and ordered the wrong ones? The lower corner radii are too tight on that gasket to boot. You need good ol' 1600 gaskets.
(Yes, I know I said all the gaskets were the same earlier...but 36hp?)
robertsfd2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

Here is the valve box:

volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

36 hp gasket...probably just sent you the wrong ones
robertsfd2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

How do I determine what I need? JBugs has these:

valve cover gaskets are used on 1200cc 40 Horse through 1600cc Type 1, 2 & 3 engines as well as Vanagon watercooled 1.9 & 2.1 Liter engines. The valve cover gaskets fit 1961 through 1977 Beetles

OR

valve cover gaskets are used on 25 and 36 Horse engines. The valve cover gaskets fits 1954 through 1960 Beetles

I was told the 84 Mexican bug was essentially the same as the 1969 bug, which would suggest the first item description, but then you're suggesting it is a 36hp so this suggest the second item description.

Any idea which I should try?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

No, no, we're saying you got 36 HP gaskets, you want the later 40-horse thru 1600 gaskets. Yes, order some for a 1969. (Or 70, or 71, or 65, or 62...you get the picture Smile )
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

as the others said, that's an early gasket you have. BTW a 1984 mexican bug's engine for the internal mexican market in its original spec has no fuel injection nor hydraulic lifters, and it is in most respects similar or the same as a late (pre-FI) german 1600.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
robertsfd2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking from inside tire area and tire angle Reply with quote

I got it. Thank you everyone. Very helpful for a slow guy like me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: