Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Event Details:

We're excited to officially announce the 2021 Type 3 Rally! ISP West is sponsoring and hosting this special event and we have some great drives and fun stuff planned to celebrate the Type 3 models we all know and love. 2021 marks the 60th anniversary of the Type 3 model so join us as we celebrate over the weekend of October 1-3, 2021. The Type 3 Rally will feature three days of driving on some of the most iconic roads in Los Angeles, covering roughly 250 miles. The routes and map are detailed below.

Friday

On Friday’s drive we’ll explore the mountain roads above Los Angeles. We’ll start at Dodger Stadium and then take the Arroyo Seco Parkway, the world’s first freeway, to Pasadena. Then we’ll head north past Rose Bowl Stadium to La Cañada where the legendary Angeles Crest Highway begins. We’ll climb 5000 ft. to Mount Wilson Observatory where we’ll stop for a break and the panoramic view of greater Los Angeles. From there we’ll head down Big Tujunga Canyon, one of LA’s best kept driving secrets, and then hop on a scenic part of Interstate 210 and State Route 2 through the Verdugo Range and back down into LA proper. We’ll end Friday’s drive at the LA Zoo in Griffith Park.

Saturday

Saturday’s route takes us from Hollywood glamour to the Malibu coast. We’ll meet at Friday’s end point, the northeast corner of the LA Zoo’s parking lot, and travel west along the Valley side of Griffith Park and past some of the big Hollywood studios. Then we’ll head over the Cahuenga Pass to Mullholland Drive, LA’s famous mountaintop road, where we’ll enjoy spectacular views of LA and the San Fernando Valley. We’ll head down through Laurel Canyon and the iconic Sunset Strip, center of the music scene in the 60s and 70s, and then cruise past the Beverly Hills Hotel and on through Bel Air, Brentwood and Pacific Palisades to the ocean. We’ll cruise the Pacific Coast Highway north through Malibu and then it’s up into the Malibu hills for some canyon carving. We’ll find our way back to the coast and then back down PCH through Santa Monica and Venice to our end point in Marina Del Rey. After the drive Rally drivers are invited to head over to ISP West for an open house Saturday evening.

Sunday

Sunday’s drive is a relaxed cruise along the South Bay coastline. We’ll start where we left off on Saturday in Marina Del Rey and then head south along the shoreline through coastal towns. In Redondo Beach we’ll drive under the King Harbor sign, the official finish line for the Cannonball Run. Then further south along the beautiful Palos Verdes coast and Portuguese Bend — a stretch where the earth is always on the move. We’ll stop in San Pedro to enjoy ocean views, then on to tour the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. From there we’ll head over two tall bridges and into Long Beach, where we’ll drive the Long Beach Grand Prix route. We’ll continue along the ocean and then north to El Dorado Park in Long Beach, where the weekend's events will conclude with a small Type 3 get together in the park. We'll have our very own Type 3 show, raffle with some great parts & prizes, and some other special things that we aren't officially announcing yet...

Rally Map:

This event is open to all Type 3s, Type 34s, SP2s and other Brazilian Type 3s, and whatever else falls into the "Type 3" category.

There is no cost to attend the Type 3 Rally, aside from gas, food, accommodations, and possible entry fees or parking fees associated with the planned routes. As of this posting, we are not planning to provide any food or other accommodations such as water due to ongoing Covid-19 precautions. We're also not suggesting any hotels, but the route details above and map below, should help with planning your weekend. Participant rules of engagement are available in the link below.

Join us from October 1-3 in beautiful Southern California as we celebrate 60 years of the Volkswagen Type 3!

https://vwispwest.com/2021-type-3-rally/

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Great news!

I am looking forward to being past COVID restrictions by then (fingers crossed) and enjoying those scenic drives!

Lots of Central Coast folks will be heading south, I presume. I live near the north-western edge of the routes, and perhaps might head north to join some southbound coastal folks (a day ahead maybe?), and join any caravan planned heading south to the event.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

that looks great , cant wait ! it will be great for my Car to come home for the first time in 17 years, might have to extend it by an extra day for some other fun canyons. totally worth the trip from the Reno area!

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

I just want to say lots of thanks to Scott Taylor and Lionel Mendoza for the great routes this year. The scenery will be a little different than Cayucos, but it should still be a pretty epic Type 3 weekend. I'll post more details as they come up.

There's a facebook event page here: https://fb.me/e/F5dDjSji

Follow ISP West on:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Sweeeeet. I'm there for Sat and Sun.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Friday's route is right in my back yard. I hope I can join you guys.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60DoubleTurd
Type 3 Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Hoping to be there too if the Square is finished.

SBS #17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Over the weekend we were able to do a test run of the first day and really nail down some of the details. Once they are finalized I'll post an update here and on our site. Here are some teaser shots. Cool

October is coming up quick!

Follow ISP West on:

reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Northern California / Central Coasters!

I'd like put together a cruise down! Strength in numbers...
Just throwing out ideas, but maybe meet in Big Sur or Monterey on Wednesday for a Coastal Cruise down Highway One, pay homage to the Borridorri Garage, spend the night in the wonderful Valley of the Bears (Los Osos), then drive to Los Angles on Thursday...

Just an idea after a couple of beers on a Friday.

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Just a quick update about some 2021 Type 3 Rally swag that's ready to go. Scott Taylor (t3kg) did another awesome job on the designs and artwork. Really stoked. Cool

LINK: https://vwispwest.com/apparel/2021-type-3-rally/

I should have final meeting spots, times, and routes within the week. We're just a month out now. Cool

Follow ISP West on:

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Swag looks great!
I am racing to get my engine out this weekend, and then rebuilt and installed in time for the Rally. It's gonna be close!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Oh man will not make the trip to this one as have plans to visit the Trinity Site open house. Only happens twice a year.
https://www.wsmr.army.mil/Trinity/Pages/Home.aspx#videowrapper

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Friday's route is right in my back yard. I hope I can join you guys.

Martin
allwagons

Same here ALLWAGONS . . . gonna be fun!!!
Pac51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

We'll just happen to be in Burbank and Long Beach that weekend.
If I weren't such a procrastinator, we'd have the Sqaureback with us, but it's still getting stuff worked out. Soon though!!
May not make the start, but will definitely be at El Dorado Park Sunday.

Looking forward to this!
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Pac51 wrote:

Looking forward to this!

Sounds good! Sunday might be a little touch and go as we have not been able to reserve any spots due to Covid restrictions. We'll see how it goes.

Follow ISP West on:

KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Pac51 wrote:

Looking forward to this!

Sounds good! Sunday might be a little touch and go as we have not been able to reserve any spots due to Covid restrictions. We'll see how it goes.

Micheal, I drive by there every Sunday and have seen a ton of the low rider guys cruisin in and taking up a bunch of spots along the road inside and a lot of the spots. I wouldn't think we'd have an issue with how many of the low riders were there.. and there was a lot! Hopefully they aren't having a cruise the same day we are.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Okay, engine is out.

I'll strip it to the long block tomorrow morning and the rebuilder will pick it up.

Then we will see what we will see...

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Over the weekend we were able to do a test run of the first day and really nail down some of the details. Once they are finalized I'll post an update here and on our site. Here are some teaser shots. Cool

October is coming up quick!

Very nice pictures Cool
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Well, it's pre-teardown, but the builder is not confident that all can be done in time for the Rally. It may need a line bore, and maybe a new cam, both of which can add a couple of weeks of lead time.

Day by day, but at worst, I plan to make at least one leg in an alternate vehicle (an Audi, so at least it's VW kin). Better to have it done right than done fast.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

More news for the Rally!

We're super stoked to announce that 100% of the money raised for the Type 3 Rally Raffle will be donated to Golden Years Dog Sanctuary. They rescue and foster older puppers and "give them a last loving home in which to thrive." They also rescue cats as well. Just a great organization overall and we hope we can raise some good money for a good cause. There are some great raffle prizes that have been donated by some great people. We'll be selling tickets all weekend and will be pulling winners on Sunday.

If you'd like to donate some items for the raffle, we'd love that! Send me an email and we'll get it on the list. Cool [email protected]

You can find out more about Golden Years Dog Sanctuary and donate directly here:

https://goldenyearsdogsanctuary.com/

Follow ISP West on:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: