Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cracked alloy wheel
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeacoastRed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Quote:
I think a high value alternative would be to publish a list of known machine shops who know how to properly machine the centers of VAG alloy rims. You can easily drill out the lug holes on most MB rims. Christopher sells the proper lug nuts/bolts and spacers you'll need to fit these quality rims on a T3.

Chris will also sell you the correct drill bit as well to make drilling out your Mercedes wheels super easy...He helped me set up my CLK wheel set and I could not possibly be a more satisfied customer. He is an outstanding asset for our little VW community. It's worth it to pay for quality when it comes to wheels and tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
If those structural pieces start to break and slough off, then the clamping power of the lug nut/bolt is compromised and bad things happen. At the very least, it's not confidence inspiring, and if I was a vendor selling this junk I'd be lawyering up for the inevitable judgment day.

The guys at a respected shop here have very negative things to say about these wheels. Apparently they've seen this sort of damage before.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

in my experience that style mount pad is used on hub centric wheels. seeing vanagons are lug centric and there is no 'full circle' pad these are a recipe for disaster. that style pad would have cracked on anything lug centric.

i never would have run that style on anything but hub centric. to those who bought these i'd throw the fuckers thru the shop window if they didn't refund my money.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the TSW wheels that I bought 20 years ago. Same idea - inexpensive MB knock offs, probably from Tire Rack, but it looks like there's a lot more material on the pad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

This has me wondering if the 15" set I'm running came from the same overseas factory. I would assume, but unsure since they didn't come from GW. Purchased from VolksCafe/VanCafe in Santa Cruz 8-9 years ago. Time to pull some wheels and check...
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

This thread made me nervous too- I bought a set of 16” wheels from Van Cafe in 2016, before they moved the business to Colorado. I checked mine today and they seem to be fine, and they claim to have a max load of 1600 lbs, which should be more than sufficient, I would think.

They haven't seen a ton of use since installed, dealing with other mechanical issues, but have a few thousand miles on them since new. I moved during that time and loaded it up to the brim. So... maybe we’re managing them differently, maybe some are better than others, or maybe mine will crack tomorrow.

One shows the whole inside, with the various stampings.

khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
in my experience that style mount pad is used on hub centric wheels. seeing vanagons are lug centric and there is no 'full circle' pad these are a recipe for disaster. that style pad would have cracked on anything lug centric.

i never would have run that style on anything but hub centric. to those who bought these i'd throw the fuckers thru the shop window if they didn't refund my money.

I dunno, I have ~13 years on mine with zero issues. When I purchased from Van-Cafe in CA, they had lugnuts specifically for these wheels.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

do some searching...

this was from a site that explains the hub pad differences

you can see it's a hub centric wheel (green spacer)

many aftermarket wheels of any quality have a closed hub pad, no matter if its hub or lug centric.

the missing meat between the lugs tells me it's hub centric

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
do some searching...

this was from a site that explains the hub pad differences

you can see it's a hub centric wheel (green spacer)

many aftermarket wheels of any quality have a closed hub pad, no matter if its hub or lug centric.

the missing meat between the lugs tells me it's hub centric

Why would I need to search? I merely stated that with the supplied lugnuts I've used these for over 13 years without issue. What does it matter what Google says? Last I checked they don't live in my garage or routinely inspect my wheels (well, as far as I know anyway...but...)
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Very helpful discussion.
Thanks
In case you are confused like me, here's the link that explains Hub vs Lug Centric.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric --Bad link

Evidently the folks at discount tire re-route a link to their purchase tire page.
Sorry for confusion. Link below is better anyway.
If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?

Last edited by Dwighia on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

I see lots of these wheels on Vanagons out there. Think I will stick with my factory 14” alloys…😁👍

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Dwighia wrote:
Very helpful discussion.
Thanks
In case you are confused like me, here's the link that explains Hub vs Lug Centric.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric

That link has no info, here is a link that describes the differences:

http://www.nissantechnicianinfo.mobi/htmlversions/Winter_2012/Hub-Lug_Centric.html
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Very carefully look at the contact pattern differences between the cracked and non-cracked wheels. The non-cracked wheel has a contact pattern that extends to the outer edge of the chamfer. While the cracked wheel contact pattern only reaches roughly half way to the chamfer.
So the question is what front hubs/disc are on each vehicle?

EDIT: it wasn't wheels that were cracking for GoWesty it was rotors. My thinking is that they didn't fit correctly, not their conclusion.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:

EDIT: it wasn't wheels that were cracking for GoWesty it was rotors. My thinking is that they didn't fit correctly, not their conclusion.

I've seen several posts from people who have had their Chinese GoWesty wheels crack through the hub mating area.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

The more I review this post the more irritated I become with the continued sale of these wheels. Attached is a picture of the Ronal R9 wheel, current production version. Note how wide the contact pads are and that they splay outward. They are only offered, to my knowledge anyway, with m14 lug bores. The GoWesty supplied MB style is offered by the manufacture in both m12 and m14 lug bores in what appears to be the same castings. Thus
"overbuilt" for m12s or "underbuilt" for m14s. The GoWesty contact pads do not flare nor are they reinforced by a ring as were the originals.

jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

What are the torque specs for the lug nuts on factory 14 alloys?
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Wheel lug torque remains at 133lbs from 1985, 125lbs previously. These number are in agreement with other German vehicles with 14mm lugs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: