Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kdf door handles
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: kdf door handles Reply with quote

hello-

while sorting through parts the other day i found a door handle. i asked about it on the barndoor forum and was told it was likely an old bug handle.

number L-211.051. it has the kdf logo and shows an untreated surface.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a bit later i found some more. these are chromed. i have driver and passenger and a working key. the key has says something like Curtis Fastlake v-28 USA. i assume the key is a replacement.

are the two finishes from different time periods? standard v deluxe? reproductions? what time frame were such handles in use? im having a hard time finding definitive information about these. Thanks!

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: kdf door handles Reply with quote

That is the flying swastika and is not uncommon on door handles as late as 1950. I had a '50 split that had that on one of the handles. The cogwheel VW emblem was found on several parts for several years after the war. They got rid of it on anything that was visible but crankshaft seals had it as well as several other parts.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: kdf door handles Reply with quote

These handles were used on all Splits until March/April 1952 with Huf Y-lock cylinders. These have L-part numbers. Earlier 40īs KdF handles are not the same, they have 60-part number and not the swastika, only a cog. This mold is likely an earlier one, from maybe 1941 molds, reused by Huf after the war.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: kdf door handles Reply with quote

thank you for your responses!

these were stumping me because of the lack of date precision. most of the vw stuff i have encountered is like ...started with chassis # XXXXXXXX or added on date XXXX. for these ive been told: old, probably war, 48-49, up till 50, and march/april 52.

is there a primary source for this kind of stuff? ive tried googling and searching the forums here. do i need to learn german?

im curious about this reused mold. was that common? do other parts have similar production histories? where would i learn more about that?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: kdf door handles Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
That is the flying swastika and is not uncommon on door handles as late as 1950. I had a '50 split that had that on one of the handles. The cogwheel VW emblem was found on several parts for several years after the war. They got rid of it on anything that was visible but crankshaft seals had it as well as several other parts.

yes, my '50 standard, had one - the spare ice-pic, in the parts box - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: kdf door handles Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
thank you for your responses!

these were stumping me because of the lack of date precision. most of the vw stuff i have encountered is like ...started with chassis # XXXXXXXX or added on date XXXX. for these ive been told: old, probably war, 48-49, up till 50, and march/april 52.

is there a primary source for this kind of stuff? ive tried googling and searching the forums here. do i need to learn german?

im curious about this reused mold. was that common? do other parts have similar production histories? where would i learn more about that?

Yes, many molds/stamps were reused after the war. Earlier cars, 1946-48 are loaded with KdF logo cog wheel parts. As molds were redesigned the cog was dropped. I have a 3/1951 Kronprinz wheel with still the KdF cog.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: kdf door handles Reply with quote

You have to consider the shape Germany and the VW factory were in after the war. They reused anything they could until they got back on their feet. The factory had been heavily bombed so money had to go to repairs on the building and repairing or replacing any tooling that had been lost or damaged first. They removed the cogwheel from anything that was immediately visible such as the dash plate and hubcaps. They took care of the other less visible parts as time and capital allowed.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: