Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possibly dumb questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Possibly dumb questions Reply with quote

Ok, so I’m a split Bus and Beetle guy mostly. I’ve owned one bay years ago and it was a ‘74. I’ve done minor repairs and helped friends with their bays but never really dug into one like I have split Buses and Beetles.
So, my grandfather bought this ‘68 possibly VoA camper and me being the VW guy in the family, I’m tasked with getting it in order.
So my main question is the mustache bar. I don’t think the engine that came with the Bus has the holes for it. Ive heard you can tap and thread the holes if there’s enough material? How do I know that is or isn’t the case?
Ive included some pics of the Bus and engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Possibly dumb questions Reply with quote

Not enough meat on that case for tapping, some have the bosses, others don't, yours is in the don't category sadly. Those adaptors can be made to work, it's super important to use the spacer that looks like a pump cover on top of the existing cover, and grind down any parts of the existing covers lip that stick up higher than the spacer plate. Looks like it has 8mm studs in the cover already, if it's got 6mm you might want to drill and tap for 8's.

Nice looking bus, not too rotten or abused, could be a Riviera.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Possibly dumb questions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Not enough meat on that case for tapping, some have the bosses, others don't, yours is in the don't category sadly. Those adaptors can be made to work, it's super important to use the spacer that looks like a pump cover on top of the existing cover, and grind down any parts of the existing covers lip that stick up higher than the spacer plate. Looks like it has 8mm studs in the cover already, if it's got 6mm you might want to drill and tap for 8's.

Nice looking bus, not too rotten or abused, could be a Riviera.

Thanks for the info. This engine is likely temporary anyway.
It is a pretty solid Bus overall, especially for being in the southeast.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Possibly dumb questions Reply with quote

Here's a bit on the subject: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463315&highlight=moustache

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Possibly dumb questions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Here's a bit on the subject: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463315&highlight=moustache

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I think the adapter will be fine since it’s temporary. Basically he just wants to use the engine he has to drive around locally while he (well I) get the rest of the Bus sorted and road worthy.
Now that I know what to look for, I’ll try to find a case suitable for the mustache bar.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: