Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
The seller says he's not a VW expert. He's a 356 restorer!

I can only imagine what his 356 "restorations" must look like. With vintage Porsche prices being what they are these days, he'd never get away with with a half-assed job like this. The purists in the 356 community would instantly rip a car like this to shreds if it were put up on BaT Confused

He better hope none of his prospective customers see this thing. Maybe that’s why he came up with a one time moniker for BAT?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Blue '73 Coupe. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-13/

Looks like it'd be a fun driver, though I don't see any rear sway bar to balance the handling of the HD front one. I wonder if the front deep dish wheels would not fit in the rear due to tire sidewall to fender edge interference?
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Blue '73 Coupe. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-13/

Looks like it'd be a fun driver, though I don't see any rear sway bar to balance the handling of the HD front one. I wonder if the front deep dish wheels would not fit in the rear due to tire sidewall to fender edge interference?
Can't quite figure out what he was doing with the tail light lenses
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not hard to replace though... The car itself looks better than mine for sure...
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
Rome wrote:

Car looks dry but took a whack to the nose. You can see where they lap welded on a new nose.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
overboost wrote:
Rome wrote:

Car looks dry but took a whack to the nose. You can see where they lap welded on a new nose.
You guys see everything. I am always impressed at the level of knowledge here on this forum.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
impressed at the level of knowledge here on this forum.

Me too...I'm nowhere when it comes to detail and I've been on this forum for 16 years. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Photo 58 is mad. Never seen a battery moved to the front before. Why would you go to that trouble?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

jaket3 wrote:
Photo 58 is mad. Never seen a battery moved to the front before. Why would you go to that trouble?

I don't know what benefits would make it worth all that effort but being that far forward would certainly have an affect on weight distribution.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

jaket3 wrote:

Guess he has flat proof tires.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-8/
$26k final price.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
$26k final price.

About right I guess. Half the price of a really nice one.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
$26k final price.

To me this is likely a decent Ghia. It seems like a good platform to move forward and improve. The price seems fair but there's a lot of unknowns. After my experience with my purchase, I take exception when sellers are not open and don't disclose the true condition and history of a car, especially on BAT. This one seemed foolish on the sellers part. When asked for a picture of the back of the nose, he submits a picture of the horns and a picture of each inner fender. Later requests were ignored with no comment. I think that if the seller had been more forthcoming, the car might have gone higher. I hope the buyer will be happy with the car.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
This one seemed foolish on the sellers part.

This guy was only in it for a quick flip. He didn't know Ghias very well, and didn't know how to run an auction properly either. And it probably cost him a bit in the end too.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

This guy was only in it for a quick flip. He didn't know Ghias very well, and didn't know how to run an auction properly either. And it probably cost him a bit in the end too.

I'm just glad to see that the buyer didn’t get suckered into overpaying just because it was shiny.
If flippers get away with selling polished turds then the market will get flooded with such cars and guys doing quality work which is more expensive will get shorted.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
rcooled wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I'm just glad to see that the buyer didn’t get suckered into overpaying just because it was shiny.
If flippers get away with selling polished turds then the market will get flooded with such cars and guys doing quality work which is more expensive will get shorted.

I agree with all these comments. I have to say, too, that the supposed previous owner's post was smug and imperious and it rubbed me the wrong way. And why NOT chime in during the auction to add some levity about the car if it's so misunderstood? This whole auction and the players in it including the supposed PO are suspect and I'm glad to see it's over.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
rcooled wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I agree with all these comments. I have to say, too, that the supposed previous owner's post was smug and imperious and it rubbed me the wrong way. And why NOT chime in during the auction to add some levity about the car if it's so misunderstood? This whole auction and the players in it including the supposed PO are suspect and I'm glad to see it's over.

To me, when a seller on BAT doesn't chime in, it just makes me wonder what he or she is trying to hide. He did not address hardly any of the questions that were asked. Fortunately this kind of auction does not happen often on BAT.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

To me, when a seller on BAT doesn't chime in, it just makes me wonder what he or she is trying to hide. He did not address hardly any of the questions that were asked. Fortunately this kind of auction does not happen often on BAT.

This goes to Braukuche's point. Hopefully, auctions like this that call out the deficiencies and legitimate questions that went unanswered (or answered like a press secretary and bolstered by fuzzy additional photos strategically omitting or obscuring the questioned areas), flippers trying to win big on turdy cars will be dis-incentivized.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting a marginal car on BaT as long as the seller is honest about it and not trying pull a fast one or puff it to be more than it is. That's what I appreciate about BaT, being able to ask legitimate, substantive questions about the true integrity of the car. The seller's "integrity" will get fleshed out by how they handle the inquiries. It provides for better transparency than any other kind of auction format.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

You can always spot when a non-VW shop restores a VW, eh?

We do something different than the rest of the car world (even Porsche guys) and I'm not sure what it is.

We've been described as 'intelligent weirdos'.
Not sure that's entirely wrong.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

We do something different than the rest of the car world (even Porsche guys) and I'm not sure what it is.

I think the word you're looking for is "honest". Cool
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
Clatter wrote:

I think the word you're looking for is "honest". Cool

I revisited this auction
The seller seemed to answer most of the inquiries.
Probably his most “honest” answer was he wasn’t very familiar with Karmann Ghia’s. He’s a Porsche guy. The resulting restoration lead me to the conclusion he’s just not passionate enough to really concern himself with correctness. If he had it for the 8 years claimed doing his own work he likely made a tidy profit.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 112

Jump to: