Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

I have been working on my son's girlfriends 1998 Golf MK3 and we replaced the front struts. Something is just not right with this set up and I cannot figure it out. All of the pieces on the new assembly are the same as the old one. Yet when I put the upper nut on, I have a huge gap at the top of the strut:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a video showing how simple this should be:

Link

There is a 1/2 inch gap between the top strut mount and the body mount. It is supposed to tighten down completely. The parts match what I took out. I am stumped at a very simple process. It should be a 10 minute job and I have spent hours trying to figure out what the heack I am doing wrong.
Thanks
Kevin

Click to view image
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

You need better pictures. That picture looks odd.

The strut mount goes underneath the body and on top there shoulr be a metal dish with a rubber or plastic edge and the nut goes on top of that. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

That's common, it only gets worse as they age, It'll be twice that in 6 months. It's a crappy design.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

Isn't there a early and late metal rim for the top of the strut? Mine (95 cabrio) hase the same Gap after swap...Bill
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

Did you ever figure out what caused the problem in your strut mount? Mine still eats new tires at 1,000 miles..I have a 95 Jetta winter car and the tires are like new after 3,000 miles on terrible roads here in Puerto Rico.
I'd like the Golf Cabro, but buying tires is getting expensive...Bill P you gotta love old Vws , always fun to drive, always a challenge info,
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

With the car on the ground, take the top mount and nut off. Then see if you can tighten the nut that holds the upper spring hat in place. Then put the upper mount back on. If the rubber mount isn't worn out, you may remove some of the gap.

I just replaced my upper mounts and that's what I discovered. I went from 1/2"+ gap to less than 1/8" and no more clunks over bumps.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

I'll try that when I get back to Vt in the spring..thanks Bill in PR for winter
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

Well update on my 95 golf, Cabro.. I replaced the strut rubbers and bought a spring compressor and st
ill have a gap but the tires are holding up better. Still the jury s out...ALSO adjusted the toe in.. Bill Vt n PR
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Golf MK3 struts- stumped Reply with quote

Up date on Golf(cabro) changed strut mounts but I have a gap It still clunks but I use it mostly on short trips. Another summer another set of tires. Back tires have outlasted 4 or five fronts. I'm going back to REAL VWS ,AIR COOLED.. ANY body want to buy a 95 rust free Cabro?? Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: