Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with B6 engine code
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1967 vw sedan. The engine code is B6. It has a pict 2 carb and a 205t distributor. The engine code is from a 1970 engine I'm pretty sure. It's a single port. Runs hot and rough idle. Are these parts compatible?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

Do tell us what you have done to the engine since you just obtained the vehicle.
Alos how hot is the engine running. What method of heat detection are you using?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

1600cc engine in an older VW with a solid engine lid can have air flow issues. VW used vented engine lids starting with 1600cc engines for 1970 year.

Ya' gots all your tins and rubber seals there????

Try the tennis ball trick, lid standoffs, etc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

I have replaced the spark plugs, cleaned carburetor, and reset valve gaps. The engine runs super ruff at idle until warmed up, but still runs ruff. I rebuilt carburetor and still ran poor. I put brand new pic 3 on. Still runs bad. Like a huge misfire when cold. No carb adjustment on the pic 2 carb. Just keeps running poorly. I believe it is over heating because I can't grab the dipstick and the plugs are burning very white. Ordering new cap and components. Will see if is the cure. So I am ok with pict 2 and 205T distributor?
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

Have you checked points ( dwell ) and timing with a timing light . Also can you get a picture of the engine compartment.
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
grvwsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

Looks like that red and black wire from your distributor is going to the same connection at the coil. Are you running points or electronic ignition
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

You had me worried for a minute but here is a better picture.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

Get a shepherd's crook tube for the vacuum advance.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

If what you have tried has not made a difference, then try something even more basic. Do a compression test to at least see where you are at since it doesn't sound like you have any history on the engine. Or disconnect one plug wire at a time while running and see if you can locate the offending cylinder. If you find that disconnecting one wire and the engine has no change in idle, then I think you found the culprit. Speaking of wires, how are they? Any bad spots or chaffing?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Get a shepherd's crook tube for the vacuum advance.

Good to see that someone else knows what a crook is versus a hook.
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

I took a new photo of the motor. I did run the vacuum tube up in the back higher than the outlet on carb. Does it need a higher hook? I also unplugged spark plug wires to check cylinder. 1 and 3 have a large effect on Idle, 2 and 4 have a very small effect when unplugged. Yes I am going to move the gas filter this week yet. All wires are new, cap, rotor ,points, condenser, coil are all new. Point dwell is at 47, timing is at top dead center...valves were all set and checked 3x...not going there again! Lol I will run a compression test tomorrow and see whats up. Maybe rings are bad from sitting to long? Thanks
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

I also found this on my tin...I thought maybe it was oil leak from cooler or temperature sensor. But what are these little pieces? They are not steel they wont stick ro magnet. I can any assume its aluminum but where from?

grvwsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

My eyes are deceiving me . The new pic shows what looks like an H30/31 carburetor. I always clean the two jets on the right side -- sometimes it gets crud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
If what you have tried has not made a difference, then try something even more basic. Do a compression test to at least see where you are at since it doesn't sound like you have any history on the engine. Or disconnect one plug wire at a time while running and see if you can locate the offending cylinder. If you find that disconnecting one wire and the engine has no change in idle, then I think you found the culprit. Speaking of wires, how are they? Any bad spots or chaffing?

Cylinder 1 is 125lbs, 2 and 3 are at 110lbs and 4 is at 75lbs. Lot of oil on the jug of cylinder 4. Shocked
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

The PICT2s are hit or miss, sometimes they are worn beyond adjusting and also like to get dirty in places that are almost impossible to clean properly. The H30/31 on the other hand doesn't play great with the 205T in my experience, you would be better off with a (decent) centrifugal distributor

and of course the low compression on #4 has to be dealt with too Laughing
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

Bugeye54487 wrote:
raydog wrote:

Cylinder 1 is 125lbs, 2 and 3 are at 110lbs and 4 is at 75lbs. Lot of oil on the jug of cylinder 4. Shocked

There ya go! Now you've got a place to start looking. Stop messing with the other stuff and see what's going on with #4.
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with B6 engine code Reply with quote

Thank you for your guidance. I have to pull engine to diagnose exactly what is happening.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: