Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

J35a4 Honda swap guys!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: J35a4 Honda swap guys! Reply with quote

Hey I am needing some help from some people that have done the j35a4 or any 6cyl Honda swaps if this sounds like you please comment and lend a brother some help I have tried the old fb and shop talk ect even Honda forums I just need basic information to help on my install and pictures would be great! If you are out there please write so I can get this project going.. looking for vacuum delete what coolant lines are mando ect.. thank you!
project of pieces to be assemble to someday be a baja (inprogress)
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: J35a4 Honda swap guys! Reply with quote

I have a J30A1 that I put in my baja bug. Shoot me your questions in a PM
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: J35a4 Honda swap guys! Reply with quote

Leatherneck on Shoptalk forums has a build page for his buggy, we just swapped a 3.2 Acura motor. We did the harness and PCM mods. Runs great.
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: J35a4 Honda swap guys! Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
Leatherneck on Shoptalk forums has a build page for his buggy, we just swapped a 3.2 Acura motor. We did the harness and PCM mods. Runs great.

Yeah I just checked that out thank you it was a great read and will definitely help with some things! One issue I am having is I sent the harness I got with the motor off to NY to get modified but haven’t received anything back and it’s been about 5 months no contact so I ordered one from minitec when it arrived it appears to be for a different year j35 because mine has a knock sensor under the intake which the harness has no plug for and then around the throttle body there are two plugs which on the harness side are round but on my tb side they are rectangular oh and no plug for the egr. I’m not really familiar with the Honda engines but I have a bunch of experience in mitstsubishi 4g63t which I was able to block off all the smog stuff and what not where it wouldn’t go into a limp mode ect but I could get into dsm link and simulate signals ect. I would like to get this thing to minimum hoses and such but even getting my harness to work would be a step in the right direction. After reading leathernecks build I have a great idea for mounts and fuel system and cooling now with the exception of do I have to run the smaller lines which appear to go to the tb and such and help is greatly appreciated.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: J35a4 Honda swap guys! Reply with quote

Leatherneck seems like a stand up guy. I would not hesitate to ask him questions about his swap.
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: J35a4 Honda swap guys! Reply with quote

Shifty2006 wrote:
baja5 wrote:

Yeah I just checked that out thank you it was a great read and will definitely help with some things! One issue I am having is I sent the harness I got with the motor off to NY to get modified but haven’t received anything back and it’s been about 5 months no contact so I ordered one from minitec when it arrived it appears to be for a different year j35 because mine has a knock sensor under the intake which the harness has no plug for and then around the throttle body there are two plugs which on the harness side are round but on my tb side they are rectangular oh and no plug for the egr. I’m not really familiar with the Honda engines but I have a bunch of experience in mitstsubishi 4g63t which I was able to block off all the smog stuff and what not where it wouldn’t go into a limp mode ect but I could get into dsm link and simulate signals ect. I would like to get this thing to minimum hoses and such but even getting my harness to work would be a step in the right direction. After reading leathernecks build I have a great idea for mounts and fuel system and cooling now with the exception of do I have to run the smaller lines which appear to go to the tb and such and help is greatly appreciated.

The round plugs are for the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor. The earlier ones 1999-2001 had a round plug on the MAP.. That harness is an earlier year, but on the 2002-2004 ( I think) they went to a square on the MAP. The square plug MAP should be a bit larger of a throttle body so o would stick with that. You can just change the plug on the harness side.
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: J35a4 Honda swap guys! Reply with quote

I am hoping I can just swap plugs but I am praying for a definitive answer on that.. still not sure what to do about the lack of knock sensor though do you know if Honda’s can bypass a knock sensor or something because I thought the vtec depended on a signal from the knock sensor??
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: J35a4 Honda swap guys! Reply with quote

It should run fine without it. I have driven all plenty of V6 cars with a PO325 set and they seem to run fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: