Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

I know you are being friendly with that last post, but curious, do you mean you don't think it will be less restrictive than stock? If so, I guess it just comes down to your feelings about an oiled cloth filter vs oil bath. Until someone chimes in with some scientific data, I guess we'll never know!

Chris

PS: My definition of quick and dirty in this case is as simple and easy to do with as few tools and parts to be bought as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

I'm building a Megasquirt fuel injected 1776 for my bus, and I wanted to keep the look of an oil bath air filter, but wanted to have a paper element in it somehow. Thanks for posting this, exactly what I'm looking for.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

I think the key part is chopping the nose of the air cleaner, regardless of the contents.

I run an oil bath with a chopped off nose on a 1641. I see about 50mB or 1.5" pressure drop between ambient and the manifold below the carburettor at WOT.
(checked with a MAP sensor , engine stopped vs engine WOT)

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

I run oil bath on both my cars but one downside I’ve observed is that it is top heavy. On rough roads we have occasionally deal with - the top heavy filter puts a lot of stress on the mounting. In 2019, on my way back from Goa on a 1600 km round trip, the additional mounting bracket on the filter (in my 71) broke and the loosened filter was moving around and damaged the inside of the decklid (the backside of the vents).

I welded back the bracket and right now am back in Goa on another similar trip. The bracket has held up so far but I did see oil leak out along the nose as it got splashed around a lot.

The paper filter inside type mod may lighten the load while maintaining the look.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wing nut doesn't touch the bottom of the air cleaner, but it is fairly close. The filter is 4.5" base by 3.5" top and 3.5" tall, which is more than enough for anything you are likely to try with a single carb anyway.

I hope that helps!

Chris

I love that modification, a modern filter wrapped up in a stock look.

My question is, how large of a K&N (or paper element) air filter does an engine need? I am thinking in terms of a stock or stock-ish engine but a bigger picture might be helpful to others. I understand the oil bath costs a couple horsepower even on a stock engine so I was wondering what it takes to eliminate that.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

Part of the economy of the oil bath air cleaner was that you didn't need to buy oil for the air cleaner. You just used a bit of the used oil that came out of the engine.

I too would question the ability of the K&N element to clean the air properly. They are known for thier low restriction not their ability to clean the air. I would hesitate to use one myself as I do drive on dusty gravel roads. A good friend of mine was advised to go with a K&N conversion on his Dodge Cummins for the extra power. He had to replace the engine way before it should have been replaced. His mechanic told him the air filter was the cause. He is a veterinarian and drives the back roads every day.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
I don't have any myself, but Alstrup has done dyno testing with stock and gutted air cleaners. Here is a thread with some quoted dyno numbers on a couple of different engines.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742918&highlight=1968+early+bay

Here is a quote:

I had a dual port 1600 bus engine on the rolls once. Engine had a 2280 cam, detailed dual port heads (by me) 8,3 CR. 34 Solex with 28 mm venturi, 205 SVDA distributor. Stock VW bus exhaust, (because the customer insisted) and stock ´71 oil bath air cleaner.
The engine pulled 63 hp Din @ 4100 and 120 Nm torque. It took me quite a few tries to get the fuel elivery nice. The owner was basicly satisfiead as it did give hime just a little bit more torque and a little bit more rpm to work with over stock.
A couple of weeks later the weather turned to Scandinavian summer with 27-30 degree C. days. Soon after I got a call from said customer. He complained that the engine ran hot now, too hot for his liking. I told him I had the cure with a freer flowing muffler and a gutted air cleaner, but he refused as he did not believe that it would make any difference. About a week later he rang again, and this time he was pretty upset and wanted his money back since the engine clearly was not built correct. I was really fed up with him by then so I basicly told him to do as I said or F off, and that was my final word or we could meet in court. Finally he responded to reason. So I had a friend gut an aftermarket stock bus muffler and make "equal length" 2 & 4 and then we made a type 3 style glass pack silencer in the tail pipe, gutted the filter and installed a K&N unit inside it and shortened the intake nose about 1½".
I put it back on the dyno for a retune and also to show him what he got for his money. After the rejet the engine now pulls 73 hp Din @ 4400 rpm and 133 Nm torque. AND the overheating issue disappeared.
That guy twisted and turned so much that I was almost affraid he would tear off the upholstery on the seat, but he had to accept it. The engine now works as it should, pulls more power and does not overheat.
Another customer of mine recently had a thickwall 1835 on the rolls, also with a stock can air cleaner. It only pulled 72 hp. I told him to do the mod and he did. He said just from pulling out of the driveway he could feel the engine rev much more free and pull harder. It has not been back on the rolls though, but I´m sure it is now in the 80 - 84 hp. range.

Since you spent the time to put the thing on the dyno wouldn't it be real easy just to test with and without the air filter and on a fresh install it ain't that hard to flip out the exhaust. Then you can hit the customer with some cold hard facts
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
ccowx wrote:
I don't have any myself, but Alstrup has done dyno testing with stock and gutted air cleaners. Here is a thread with some quoted dyno numbers on a couple of different engines.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742918&highlight=1968+early+bay

Thank you for sending me back to that thread to look it over again. Alstrup did post a suggested K&N filter number, RB-0600. That is slightly smaller than the filter than CCOWX used on his conversion. The K&N filter I'm looking at is RG-1003RD-L. This is about 40% larger in area than the filter Alstrup suggested. It isn't in my hands yet to test the fit, but the plan is to install it directly onto a 40 horse VW Bus carb inlet elbow without using an oil bath filter box. I have been looking for something for my beach buggy with a basically stock 1600 single port engine (EMPI 30 PICT-1, Dansk '73 Thing reproduction exhaust, 019 distributor, new dual relief case and doghouse cooling.) I don't have any room above the 30 PICT-1 for a filter. I have done a little testing with a 2.4 inch tall velocity stack on the carb with an Outerwears mesh on top, but that isn't a good driver setup.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

Here is what I did. Cut the end off and added a K/N RA 510

https://www.knfilters.com/ra-0510-universal-clamp-on-air-filter

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

That looks nice! Did you just cut off the stock oil bath clamp/flange or is the pipe length shortened too? I have considered that just to tuck the filter a little closer to the shroud.

The big cap distributor thing is cool in its own right. I'm guessing a CB Black Box for advance? I have a 40 horse distributor clamp, to stay out of the way of the 019 condenser. Not as cool, but I'll have two 40 horse parts on my engine soon.

I do have one question, for you or anyone who visits. What is the best way to clean inside the 40 horse Bus air cleaner pipe? There is no rust but over the years a fine coating of oil and a carbon-y film (technical term) have coated the inside. Smile
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

The way Christff did it works well too, and is to an extend easier to do. The reason I/we typically chose to gut the stock cleaner is mostly because people kinda like the - almost - stock look and also because we do live in a slightly colder enviroment where hot air supply to the intake is a good thing on early spring, or late fall days.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you just cut off the stock oil bath clamp/flange or is the pipe length shortened too?

Just trimmed the end to get a smooth section to clamp on. Its also in the same location as stock, fits 30 or 34 mm carbs. This motor - a 1600, 1 3/8 headers, H30/31 Pict Carb , stock DP heards with solid shafts, swivel feet, 100 cam with a Bosch 010 and Winterburn CDI will surprise most people how well it runs. I believe the K/N helps alot too. Later I will add the CB center section a 34MMpict with 28 Venturi and some Brian E type heads on a new motor. Also gonna try the big cap with the BB and I have a rebuilt Bosch 034 dist for testing as well. No more oil baths for me !
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

Here is my approach to this. The K&N RG-1003RD-L filter has a 70mm inlet and comes with a couple of adapters for a smaller inlet. Since it has adapters the rubber base inside has a shoulder for them. The supplied adapters are not used (but are shown next to the filter.) That shoulder can rest on the bottom of the stock 40 horse Bus carburetor inlet air pipe. I just gently tighten the clamp and it pulls the filter tight so it cannot slip off or rotate. Nothing modified, though I am working on a custom coil bracket to support the filter elbow now. With an aftermarket 36 horse style fan shroud I cannot just borrow that stock part for my installation.

I'll get some pictures of it installed but for now my goal is to finish my support bracket and repaint that 40 horse Bus air filter elbow.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

These are available to support the ac from the coil bracket holes

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2495278

You can get them alot cheaper than that, one of the bus guys was making them for sale
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

[redundant so deleted]

Last edited by EVfun on Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

I thought I would provide a bit of follow up. This is the K&N filter RG-1003RD-L mounted on an unmodified 40 horse VW Bus air filter elbow. The filter is wrapped with an Outerwears 20-1570 filter cover, mostly for looks with my purple buggy. The support bracket off the coil mount is custom made from aluminum because the coil is not mounted in exactly the stock position on the aftermarket fan shroud. The rest of the engine is basically a stock 1600 single port, with PICT 30-1 carb, 019 distributor, Dansk reproduction 1973 Thing exhaust, and a sand seal on the rear of the crank. The buggy body is visible to the right of the chassis. The velocity stack with Outerwears bootie that was previously installed on the stock carb is visible on the right rear corner of the aluminum gas tank.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Easy method to upgrade early bay aircleaner Reply with quote

Looking great! You will be glad for that pre-filter as it will take the bulk of the abuse from your tire!

Let us know how your combo runs, the only thing I might change is a distributor with vacuum advance for better highway economy. Maybe you don't drive distances so it is irrelevant.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: