Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wife says Too Stiff!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

Going to the N West next year in my camper. Doesn't bother me but wife thinks the clutch pedal is too stiff Gonna pull the motor to fix a leaky oil cooler anyway,is there a way to tell the pressure of a pressure plate to replace it? Or is there an adjustment I'm not aware off

THANKS!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

I had Robbie of Airschooled come by this summer and we greased the clutch pedal shaft and replaced the worn Clevis pin and for good measure installed a new clutch cable and Bowden tube. It made a huge difference in clutch ease.
If you haven’t done any of those I’d suggest it. Took maybe an hour to do it.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

compare it to another bay? Does it return properly? If so then the cable is not binding. Check the freeplay and make sure her seat is adjusted properly. You do all the driving etc..
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

Too many jokes here...starting with the title of the thread Very Happy

Adding to what the Gents above said...

I would start by replacing and lubing up the clutch cable and check the condition of the bowden tube.

You should also verify that the pedal end of the cable is installed correctly on the cable arm, there a right way and a wrong way (see the illustration below).

This isn't your issue, but there's one way to adjust the the length/throw of the cable by threading/moving the the wingnut on the end of the cable at the clutch linkage arm. No way to adjust the pressure plate.

If you dig into the clutch, you can clean up and put a light film of grease on the input shaft splines and make sure all the moving parts are moving as the should. Replace the throwout bearing too while you are in there.

(thanks to Robbie @ airschooled):

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

Do you know the mileage on the pressure plate and bowden tube? Our '75 type II and 411 took very little pressure compared to the bugs and ghia. Usually the bowden tube needs replacing before the pressure plate in my experience.

P.s., if you plan to surf the PNW, bring the wet suit; the cold water is painful even in the summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:

(thanks to Robbie @ airschooled):

Actually it is thanks to HazetGuy. He did the original.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Actually it is thanks to HazetGuy. He did the original.

Ah excellent! Appreciate the credit correction Sir.

I've referenced that illustration personally about two dozen times or so, and I'm sure it's helped numerous others over the years it's been out there.

This thread has helped reference clutch issues too - credit in that thread illustration went to Robbie, back then he went by asiab3, keep me honest on that please SGK...it's been a number of years we've been on here on TS:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7838272

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

A long release arm can also aid with stiffness problems Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559183&highlight=clutch+lever

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

Almost titled "I have a stiffie" Thanks for all the input I've owned plenty of buses over the years. I'll follow the cable from the pedal to the wing nut forgot the bowden tube could shot. All works fine no throw-out noise this ones just a bit on the firm side , release/engage point about 1/2 through the travel.No I will not be takin a board to the N/W I dont surf in water less than 65deg. I'm old and fat. me in a wetsuit is not a pretty sight anymore

vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wife says Too Stiff! Reply with quote

The cable type wire can make a huge difference too. On my wifes Cabriolet, I had to replace the cable so I ordered 2 . The first one that came in had coarse wire and it was very difficult to push. She was complaining since she travelled 100 miles a day on her teaching job. I put the second one in that had many small fine wires in it. Was night and day about the pressure required. The fine wire is so easy that it is like the weight of your leg takes it to the floor. It is still working that way and has been in there about 10 years. So just try another brand of cable.
86 Westy "Brown Betty"
87 Cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: