Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Defroster ducts in ABS plastic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

I'm getting my Thing ready for painting. When I took off the defroster ducts they were in bad shape.

I'm going to make a new set out of ABS plastic. I'm thinking of making a mold so I can easily reproduce them. Would anyone be interested in purchasing a set? I don't have a price yet. I'm just testing the waters.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

If you plan to produce these for sale, keep in mind that the air inlet (on the left side duct) is different between '73 and '74 models.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
If you plan to produce these for sale, keep in mind that the air inlet (on the left side duct) is different between '73 and '74 models.

Good luck, Mondshine

I know there is a difference. I have a 73 with the oval connection. It looks like there is an insert on the left side duct that can either be the oval (73) or round (74).

I was planning on making the mold to take in account for the two different configurations.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

Well, good luck with it.

I will be curious to see how this turns out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lleach9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

Farther down on my list, I have a similar plan for my 73, except trying to re-create them using fiberglass. I am very interested in how yours comes out, and it wouldn’t take much convincing to give yours a try instead.

Keep the updates coming.
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

I had some of the same ideas, but fortunately mine were in decent shape and I was able to make minor repairs with epoxy and then strengthen them up with a few coats of resin before painting. I might be interested in a set of ABS molded ones though...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

I would want some!

My heater was missing and I am going to install a setup from Thingparts...but I don't have defroster boxes/vents. Mine's a 73.

I might suggest asking Michael Basso if he would be interested in re-selling them, I bet he would. Good boxes are near impossible to find.

Bill
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

I made some wooden molds. I heated up the ABS with my heat gun and did my best to form it around the mold. It didn't go as planned. I have to rethink my process.

The best way to do this would be to make half molds and do a vacuum mold process. If you look at the original duct they are made with two halves. I don't have the room to undertake that.

I'm going to make a mold out of steel sheet metal. I have a brake at work and can bend sheet metal easily.

ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
I made some wooden molds. I heated up the ABS with my heat gun and did my best to form it around the mold. It didn't go as planned. I have to rethink my process.

The best way to do this would be to make half molds and do a vacuum mold process. If you look at the original duct they are made with two halves. I don't have the room to undertake that.

I'm going to make a mold out of steel sheet metal. I have a brake at work and can bend sheet metal easily.

Those aren't too bad, I think you are getting close!

Its not too hard to build a vacuum table. You can use a flat piece of Ply on top and bottom with a wood frame between them. Drill holes in a grid pattern on the top Ply and attach a shop vac hose to a port/hole you make in the wood frame. Lay the form on top. Heat the plastic and turn on the Vac.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

I've toyed with the idea of making my own defrost ducts as well. I've been leaning towards either metal or a composite (fiberglass), but haven't actually started the project.

My concern with using ABS plastic is will the ducts deform or melt with hot defrost air running through them? My gas heater output gets warm enough that I'd be concerned about that.
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to make the ducts out of sheet aluminum. I mocked them up in Solidworks and had to make a couple of adjustments. I think I have the final design.

ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

Keep me posted...I still need a set
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

I’d love someone to make a splitter for the outlet on the gas heater.
The heat coming out on just your right foot makes for a fun drive. I’d tried to find a t made out of silicone to use but haven’t found the right shape.

The outlet temp there gets to about 300f.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

Hyatt181 wrote:
I’d love someone to make a splitter for the outlet on the gas heater.
The heat coming out on just your right foot makes for a fun drive. I’d tried to find a t made out of silicone to use but haven’t found the right shape.

The outlet temp there gets to about 300f.

That's a good idea. My experience in driving my new 181 in Wisconsin winters in the '70's was a defrosted spot on the windshield and a cooked right foot Shocked

BNMike
low-viz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

I'd be interested in a set. My '72 mil-spec (gas heater) doesn't have any ducts at all. (still looking for a timer module as well)
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

It's been a couple of years and I decided to 3D print the defroster ducts. Since I had to model them I said why not make them better. Here is what I came up with. I'm going to print the center section first to check the size and the location of the opening where the ducts connect.

BugBusGhiaThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

This looks really nice - definitely more thought out than the original. It appears this design might drive heat to the edges of the windshield more efficiently. And, if it isn’t made of cardboard, call it a bonus!!
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
It's been a couple of years and I decided to 3D print the defroster ducts. Since I had to model them I said why not make them better. Here is what I came up with. I'm going to print the center section first to check the size and the location of the opening where the ducts connect.

Let us know when you get them ready, Depending on price I'm interested.

Mike
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

The first piece is printed and I have to make some adjustments to the model so it will print easier. The oval duct will be printed separately and glued. I also eliminated the step on each end. These were are the joint for the next piece. I'm also going to print the joints separately and glue them. I removed the little tab too. I don't think I need it. The screws from the top should be enough to hold it.

frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster ducts in ABS plastic Reply with quote

I'm also thinking of making this so it doesn't blow hot air right on your foot.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: