Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1500S Notch Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: My 1500S Notch Project- update Reply with quote

So, this is where I am at just before final sand down and the real undercoat. paint. I will do that after I finish the apron repair.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While obvious to most of the others who have been doing this for quite a while, I have learned a few details for those who may mix and match body parts.
The inner fender piece that Mike F. provided worked fine. But, the inner triangular cutout on the piece provided is slightly smaller than on a 64. And the curve for the bottom member is slightly different. This is not a big deal as it will be hidden behind carpet. This can be seen in the following photo. I made a cutting error as I did not compare closely the same areas of original and replacement. Note the Cut where the blue ends and the inch or so over where the replacement begins.

This was both a good thing and a bad thing in learning too. I am ready to attack the apron. I have a 66 front apron I got from Joel Mitchell. I was going to slice and dice right behind the headlight grommet and then underneath to the other side and repeat. But, I now realize this will be a bit more complex as you can see from just the inner fender view comparison

There are other obvious differences as well. The 66 removable spare tire well is part of the bottom and not separate like on a 64. Consequently, The slice and dice will be a bit less and more fiberglass build-up.
Am I upset, nope. It is just part of the experience. Onwards.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

I think Steve replaced that section on his Fastback, and I know Andy did repair parts of his on his Squareback. It might be worth having a look at both of their threads.
Another option might be to just use the front apron from Joel without most of the side sections. Then it becomes just drilling out the spot welds. Them you could rebuild the rusted sections first, then use nuts and bolts to help align the front sheet metal (how I'd fix it).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I think Steve replaced that section on his Fastback, and I know Andy did repair parts of his on his Squareback. It might be worth having a look at both of their threads.
Another option might be to just use the front apron from Joel without most of the side sections. Then it becomes just drilling out the spot welds. Them you could rebuild the rusted sections first, then use nuts and bolts to help align the front sheet metal (how I'd fix it).

I read Steve's thread with interest and have been amazed and impressed by Andy's Fabrication work. The primary reason I want to do my best in keeping the existing front apron is two fold. I want to keep the "Mickey Mouse" ears, and there is a real PITA attitude of any replacement/modification of where the registration badge is on a car in Kansas. There is a 59 Corvette which may be destroyed because the owner's did not know the requirements.
https://www.kctv5.com/news/investigations/classic-...ca4f9.html
Consequently, I am being really careful about that area. So, I am planning to mimic your suggestion and part of Andy's work. But, I use rivets where the spot welds were drilled out. It is a habit I got into back in the 70s when I was taught how to use lead for body filling (Different times indeed). I grind and bondo over them now. I use nuts and bolts on load bearing areas and rivets otherwise.
So, late yesterday smoothed out the black bondo and now will start on the other side and front apron work.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

So, I am in an evaluation mode right now. Evaluating what I really should have considered when buying and what I really need to replace. And after discussions plus "Show and Tell" with my better half, decided to replace the Drivers Pan as well. I could have potentially repaired the existing pan, but I ONLY want to do it once. Replacement is a much better option after replacing the other side.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Shipping has doubled from KlassicFab for FedEx Intl economy. So be prepared to pay almost the same for the pan in shipping depending upon where you live. Just so you know. Shocking, but decided to do it anyway as I think this is the lay of the land right now.
Water
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

You guys are too kind Embarassed ... is it just me or do i not see the differences (apart from the spare wheel jack mount) Anxious

Also, what is that upper square thingy under your windshield, never seen it?

Good luck with the other pan halve Cool ...those prices are ridiculously high
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
You guys are too kind Embarassed ... is it just me or do i not see the differences (apart from the spare wheel jack mount) Anxious

I'd probably only cut what I have to, and repair the outer edge of the front apron. That way you can keep as much of the OE metal as possible. I'd cut the rust out, and trim from there until I got to solid clean metal. Especially at the bumper bracket mount. Use the existing holes for alignment, as those are what the fenders bolt thru for attachment. It might be more work, but you'll keep the OE metal and shapes.

Andy, the hole in the cowl was for an antenna that someone mounted, not knowing that it'll leak straight into the car (on the new floor pan). Needless to say, that'll be another place to be plugged.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

That oval stamping you see on the donor is a pre-planed stamp from VW for an Eberspacher gas heater. That would be cut out for the recurculation and distribution hoses. That oval first appears in 1965 as far as I can tell. It was for a short lived early BN2 Gas Heater - both nose mounted and frunk mounted. It was fased out by 1968 with a better version. That stamp though carries onto 1969 till they changed the nose.

I made this vid for another member to show the 64/65 differences.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

andybla wrote:

Andy,
Your work is by far superior to mine. I am a journeyman compared to your workmanship.
The differences along the inner fender is in two primary locations, one is very visible. The other is less obvious.
1. Follow the crossed pressing of the sheet metal. On the 1964, the cross impression continues to the front and down The inner fender curve, it also bends outward instead of inward where the center crease is on the sheet metal, and is flat below to the bumper mount by the jack mount.
2. The base where the spare sits is different and much more angular. This becomes apparent when you compare the internal of the 1964 to your 1966.
I do not think you have the same center metal brace behind my "Mickey Mouse ears" front horn area. Shown below "sort of". If you look carefully, you can see the ground below the center brace, and easily on the removable spare indent.

As Bobnotch identified so well, it is the antenna hole and a bane to my car. I think it was one of the rot causes. I plan to plug and seal. But, I hate holes like this.
I thought of a cover plug as I plan a different location for the antenna. But that is not the solution. I will fix a permanent backing underneath and bondo over the surface. There is a small surface curve, so it should never have had an antenna hole created there.
I have been thinking of one of three solutions.
1. Install my Blaupunkt Derby Koffer radio instead of the Blaupunkt Essen that came with the car. I do happen to have an car-mount for the Derby.
2. Use a hidden internal antenna for the Essen or Derby. Poor reception, but I would not use the SW/MW/FM that much. I would hook up an MP3 unit through the DIN on either.
3. Mount an external antenna but use the location and seal such that it would not be a rust magnet.

Pan halve is ordered. The tipping point for the pan halve was the realization I should replace the heater channel on the driver side as well. Both are ordered and expect them in October. I will work on the front apron in the mean time.

Bob, Thanks for the advice. That was almost exactly my current plan of action
Cheers
Water
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
That oval stamping you see on the donor is a pre-planed stamp from VW for an Eberspacher gas heater. That would be cut out for the recurculation and distribution hoses. That oval first appears in 1965 as far as I can tell. It was for a short lived early BN2 Gas Heater - both nose mounted and frunk mounted. It was fased out by 1968 with a better version. That stamp though carries onto 1969 till they changed the nose.

Everett,
Thanks for this. It makes sense in so many ways. Sort of a wondering question. Was there an expectation for dual horn/non-fanfare setup with the Mickey Mouse design. Or was it for just design look?
Water
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Everett,
Thanks for this. It makes sense in so many ways. Sort of a wondering question. Was there an expectation for dual horn/non-fanfare setup with the Mickey Mouse design. Or was it for just design look?

Everett? Do I look like Ev? Im much better looking Rolling Eyes

So they made convrtible notchback prototypes. 30 of them at least. Some Cabriolets have dual horns stock. I assume that back in development they made the mickey mouse stamp for that - that then carried over to the sedans and never deleted it.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

DOH, Doh, doh
Indeed a Homer Simpson moment.
Water
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
notchboy wrote:

DOH, Doh, doh
Indeed a Homer Simpson moment.

Fixed it for ya.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

[quote="Ossipon"]
notchboy wrote:

Laughing Laughing Yeah right Jason.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
andybla wrote:

Andy,
Your work is by far superior to mine. I am a journeyman compared to your workmanship.
The differences along the inner fender is in two primary locations, one is very visible. The other is less obvious.
1. Follow the crossed pressing of the sheet metal. On the 1964, the cross impression continues to the front and down The inner fender curve, it also bends outward instead of inward where the center crease is on the sheet metal, and is flat below to the bumper mount by the jack mount.
2. The base where the spare sits is different and much more angular. This becomes apparent when you compare the internal of the 1964 to your 1966.
I do not think you have the same center metal brace behind my "Mickey Mouse ears" front horn area. Shown below "sort of". If you look carefully, you can see the ground below the center brace, and easily on the removable spare indent.

As Bobnotch identified so well, it is the antenna hole and a bane to my car. I think it was one of the rot causes. I plan to plug and seal. But, I hate holes like this.
I thought of a cover plug as I plan a different location for the antenna. But that is not the solution. I will fix a permanent backing underneath and bondo over the surface. There is a small surface curve, so it should never have had an antenna hole created there.
1. Install my Blaupunkt Derby Koffer radio instead of the Blaupunkt Essen that came with the car. I do happen to have an car-mount for the Derby.
2. Use a hidden internal antenna for the Essen or Derby. Poor reception, but I would not use the SW/MW/FM that much. I would hook up an MP3 unit through the DIN on either.
3. Mount an external antenna but use the location and seal such that it would not be a rust magnet.

Pan halve is ordered. The tipping point for the pan halve was the realization I should replace the heater channel on the driver side as well. Both are ordered and expect them in October. I will work on the front apron in the mean time.

Cheers

I'd probably get creative on trimming the donor metal for the lower part of your apron repair. Cut at the body line, and trim from there, as you should be able to get some good numbers for your measurements. That would allow you to keep the Mickey Mouse ears that you want to keep. Those things are kind of odd (as Jason knows) because some cars got a full Mickey, while some got a half Mickey (my son's car for example, and it's a 65). I've repaired the sides of the spare tire well before, but that was on my T-34.

I'd plug the hole in the cowl, and use a fender mounted antenna that retracts to a hidden chunk of chrome, like most of us have done (myself included), as Jason and others have shown us where it belongs (Jason likes the NOS version best). Someone on here probably has a template for it's location (the cut out), as that would allow you to use whatever radio you choose, and look period correct on the outside. It works very well with my Pioneer Super Tuner III CD player too. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Ossipon wrote:
andybla wrote:

Andy,

Cheers

I'd probably get creative on trimming the donor metal for the lower part of your apron repair. Cut at the body line, and trim from there, as you should be able to get some good numbers for your measurements. That would allow you to keep the Mickey Mouse ears that you want to keep. Those things are kind of odd (as Jason knows) because some cars got a full Mickey, while some got a half Mickey (my son's car for example, and it's a 65). I've repaired the sides of the spare tire well before, but that was on my T-34.

I'd plug the hole in the cowl, and use a fender mounted antenna that retracts to a hidden chunk of chrome, like most of us have done (myself included), as Jason and others have shown us where it belongs (Jason likes the NOS version best). Someone on here probably has a template for it's location (the cut out), as that would allow you to use whatever radio you choose, and look period correct on the outside. It works very well with my Pioneer Super Tuner III CD player too. Wink

Ok now i see the difference Smile ..never knew they were spacing for gas heaters ..yes my front is different in that way that i don't have the micky's and i have two supports instead of one center.

As for the radio hole, i would plug it also and move it to the fender like Bob says, i took some measurements for you as i have that piece laying around here, it's hammered flat now but you can start from the edges and follow the curves...

From the top it's 8,75cm (sorry i'm from over the pond Laughing ), the oval is 3cm high and 1,6cm wide, if you create a rectangular piece that is 10,25cm, lay it to your fender top, you could lay your ruler next to it and you should have 6cm from the edge of your fender (on the picture i create a 8,75 rectangular for viewing purpose, so i layed my ruler 1,5cm further)

Unless somebody can correct me or double measure, that should be the template i think ...

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Something like this.

Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Thanks for this, and Andy for your diagram photographs as well. Currently, I am seriously considering the hidden antenna option. Two reasons, one stated prior, I will not really listen to AM/FM/SW that much. The other, I dislike creating a potential rust entry point; both on the inner fender and then on the external fender. Yes, grommets and seals work, but I really want to stop any water entry points.
Something I noticed when comparing the replacement 66 passenger fender weight to the original 64 fender. The original weighs maybe as much as a lb or more of metal. I may get out my old spring scale and compare. I can definitely tell a difference in the mental handheld weighing. There is not a lb (.5 Kilo for you Andy Wink ) in dirt or old bondo. So, it must be a slightly different guage of metal. Has anyone else seen this?

Bobnotch wrote:
Something like this.

Water
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Ha! I see the crazy old coot. Cool Bobnotch the man the myth.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:

The center brace at the front apron was used until the end of the 1964 model year - The actual 'bowl' that holds the spare tire, however, should be (IIRC) the same until the body style changed in 1970.

The 1964 model year is an interesting one because a LOT of subtle things changed on the car and depending on how particular you want or need to be - it can be challenging to find the right parts/repair panels for a direct fit.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Ossipon wrote:

The center brace at the front apron was used until the end of the 1964 model year - The actual 'bowl' that holds the spare tire, however, should be (IIRC) the same until the body style changed in 1970.

The 1964 model year is an interesting one because a LOT of subtle things changed on the car and depending on how particular you want or need to be - it can be challenging to find the right parts/repair panels for a direct fit.

This.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: