Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Door Panel Air Vent?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72vwtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

Hello,

I just want to confirm that interior front door panel vent (the 12"x3" grill with sliding door that sits in bottom right area of the panel):

1. Started on the 1972 models
2. They were available on all models (Deluxes, Kombi, Panel etc...?)

Thanks, Phil.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

I can't answer that with 100% accuracy. The 1972 bus is more like a 1971 than the revised 1973 buses. The technical bulletin published August 1971 shows it in 1972. The arm rest style however is like a 1971.

see "Changes to the structure for model year 1972 ":
http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/tm_a/gross/TM_A_65-1.html

Make sure the door fits in all other ways. Lots of changes in 1973 and 1974 so there might be more than one style door with that air system.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

Yes, the lower vent started with the 72 model year, the structure by the hinge also changed from solid to full of holes. In 73 the lock moved to a button along the inner sill of the window so a 72 door is the only one that has the vent, but no button. Hinges changed in 76 (IIRC) so look at those carefully, there is a kit to use later hinges on early bodies available.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
72vwtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

The reason I am asking is because I have a 1972 Kombi and recently picked up a 1973 Deluxe (two tone paint Pastel White/Tan) door date stamped 10/72. I am working my way through this information:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650351&highlight=

Unfortunately, it doesn't provide to many specifics on the vent. Although I know the door is from a 73 I would like to make it look like a 72 door. From what I have read so far this won't require to many modifications.
72vwtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes, the lower vent started with the 72 model year, the structure by the hinge also changed from solid to full of holes. In 73 the lock moved to a button along the inner sill of the window so a 72 door is the only one that has the vent, but no button. Hinges changed in 76 (IIRC) so look at those carefully, there is a kit to use later hinges on early bodies available.

Sorry busdaddy, but what "button" are you referring too?

The locking mechanism for 72-73 buses seems the same in the attached article "Cab ID".

Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

Well now I've gotta go look at some doors, every 73 I've owned had the lock button on the window sill IIRC. Stay tuned.....

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

Correct from what I understand on point 1, clarification needed on point 2.

To clarify the door vents only came on Deluxe bus/kombi. There will also be a channel that passes air through the doors to vents on the the back walls behind the seats, both walkthrough and non-walkthrough.

If you need actual photos, I can go snap a few of mine, built 10/71.

If I understand correctly, you're trying to use '73 doors on a '72 and are wondering if they bolt up??

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
72vwtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:

If I understand correctly, you're trying to use '73 doors on a '72 and are wondering if they bolt up??

My priorities are that the 73 door:

1. fits properly and works well, and
2. looks like it is correct for a 72 Bus

Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

72vwtype2 wrote:
mikewire wrote:

Thanks.

The 73 door will fit perfectly and look right, it may have a hole on the inner window sill at the back, and you may have to modify the inner release handle holes slightly (never tried to interchange the 2 style handles).

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
72vwtype2 wrote:
mikewire wrote:

Thanks.

The 73 door will fit perfectly and look right, it may have a hole on the inner window sill at the back, and you may have to modify the inner release handle holes slightly (never tried to interchange the 2 style handles).

This thread may help https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6914211&highlight=#6914211

This is the earlier style door lock.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the later style latch assembly. The rod goes up to a pull knob on the top of the door instead of the early style that is on the inner pull lever. BusDaddy is trying to say there might be issues that require some modifications in this area.

You can see the hole for the rod and knob on the top of the door sill at the back. I put a link above for the thread on this door where the owner was working with some issues of a later door on an earlier bay.

Photos from gallery
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

I still don’t get what those vents are supposed to do.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

They suck air out of the bus to improve heater flow, it's like driving with the vent windows open, but you can do it in any weather.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

They suck air out of the bus to improve heater flow, it's like driving with the vent windows open, but you can do it in any weather.

there is a pocket of low pressure right where the air wraps around the front of the bus. The dash air vents and/or heater blow air into the bus. In an early bay you have to open a vent window to get max air flow into the bus. In a late bay if the slide on the door is open, air vents out it and leaves the front of the door into that low pressure area. I imagine that it improves the drag coefficient of the bus a little too.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

There was some kind of government mandate at around the time these vents appeared that required new vehicles to have some form of flow through ventilation. I suspect that these door vents were part of VW answer to this, but don't really know.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Air Vent? Reply with quote

Well they sure make the heat better when you open them, they appeared just before the heat tubes under the bus got bigger too.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: