Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! What went wrong on my '81? - Solved!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? Reply with quote

I have owned my 1980 vanagon westfalia for near 41 years, and have never had any issues with that white cube filter, and dont change it anymore than I would any other filter. If you wanted to eliminate it, I beleive GoWesty sell what you need to just go with the round metal one.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? Reply with quote

Had a similar event early in the spring with our early '83 Westy (air cooled). Van was running just fine. Stopped at an intersection about 5 miles from home, made a left turn and the motor sputtered and quit. It would turn over but would not start. Strange thing was that the fuel pump would run constantly unless I unplugged the dual relay. Tried changing out many of the same parts you mentioned but nothing fixed the issue until we swapped out the AFM. I was just lucky that I had a spare AFM on hand that a local fellow Vanagon owner had given me when he went from FI to carburetor. On the advice of a local mechanic I also installed a new dual relay but it seemed to be the AFM that was the issue.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
Had a similar event early in the spring with our early '83 Westy (air cooled). Van was running just fine. Stopped at an intersection about 5 miles from home, made a left turn and the motor sputtered and quit. It would turn over but would not start. Strange thing was that the fuel pump would run constantly unless I unplugged the dual relay. Tried changing out many of the same parts you mentioned but nothing fixed the issue until we swapped out the AFM. I was just lucky that I had a spare AFM on hand that a local fellow Vanagon owner had given me when he went from FI to carburetor. On the advice of a local mechanic I also installed a new dual relay but it seemed to be the AFM that was the issue.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm still waiting for the fuel pump to arrive, but it wouldn't surprise me if the AFM was the culprit. The combination of squirrely symptoms that are not reduplicated in the same way each time had me thinking that I might have had a sensor or AFM issue.

It looks like there are a couple of air box + AFMs for sale on ebay that would fit a 1.9 early aircooled Vanagon. And that's definitely a good spare part to have, because unlike a fuel filter which any parts place can get within a couple of days, AFMs are near unobtanium. I guess that's the route I'll go next if the fuel filter and pump don't resolve my issues.

Anyone have any other leads on where to find an AFM or get mine rebuilt, potentially?
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? Reply with quote

Bus Depot sells rebuilt AFMs for the 80-83 air cooled motors for $199.99 but you have to return yours as a core or if they are out of cores they will rebuild yours. They are currently trying to recover from the aftermath of hurricane Ida so it may take awhile for them to ship you one or to rebuild yours.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? Reply with quote

Hi again guys,

I'm still troubleshooting. I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump and I still can't get the van started. It cranks but won't start. It was doing this intermittently for awhile, but now it just cranks without starting.

I rooted around in the engine bay for any obvious signs of distress and the only thing blatantly amiss was the "fuel exhaust relay module". I unplugged it and noted that there was something loose jiggling around in it. After I took it apart, I found that a capacitor had come off and was just floating around loosely in the relay box.

I went to the local electronics store, bought a replacement capacitor and soldered it in, but that didn't change anything.

The relay itself looks like it probably has been out of commission for a long time. Parts of the board had rusty corrosion from water that had got in there at some point or other. I cleaned things up as best as I could and sanded the terminals. I will attach pictures below.

So here's my question:

Is this thing possibly my culprit? I could find very little on this obscure part; Bus Depot and other major sellers don't appear to manufacture it. A search of the part number (P/N 071 906 069) turned up next to nothing except this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8600982

I'm inclined to believe that this isn't the source of my troubles, but I really have no idea. I'm just thinking about Occam's Razor and that there's probably something simpler that I have yet to see.

I'm not sure how to test this relay, nor where I'd find another if it is indeed what went wrong. What do you think? Does anyone know much about this relay and whether or not it could gradually fail and cause the problems I have described here?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The capacitor that broke off came from the "C5" slot on the board.

pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? Reply with quote

Looks like yours is a California' spec one. That's an other beast.

Sorry I cannot really help, my thoughts
basics : compression, fuel (ratio), spark
wild guess : maybe your cat is clogged (please do not throw money on it before checking it yourself)

And Congrats! on having a vehicule born same year you do.

English is a second language to me
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? Reply with quote

Wbailly... might be on to something. For many year I ran a L-jetronic or Motronic system on my baja. In Wisconsin winters, every once in a while water would get in the flapper box and freeze it in place. The symptoms where similar to the OP, little power, the flap said little air, so little fuel was injected.

Roland
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:

I rooted around in the engine bay for any obvious signs of distress and the only thing blatantly amiss was the "fuel exhaust relay module". I unplugged it and noted that there was something loose jiggling around in it. After I took it apart, I found that a capacitor had come off and was just floating around loosely in the relay box.

So here's my question:

Is this thing possibly my culprit? I could find very little on this obscure part; Bus Depot and other major sellers don't appear to manufacture it. A search of the part number (P/N 071 906 069) turned up next to nothing except this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8600982

I'm inclined to believe that this isn't the source of my troubles, but I really have no idea. I'm just thinking about Occam's Razor and that there's probably something simpler that I have yet to see.

The relay socket should have numbers for each relay pin. Are they 2 6 8 4 ?

The OXS relay under CA type engine management in this diagram from the AFC pro training manual (do you have that PDF ?):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1708002.png

shows those pin numbers for the OXS relay.

This thread seems to confirm that what you show is the OXS relay:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...y+3000+rpm

The Bay window forum can be a useful resource for your air cooled 2.0

All that said, I don't think that failed relay is the cause of your no start.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? - solved! Reply with quote

Just updating things here in case anyone runs into similar issues.

The new fuel pump involved crimping on new connectors. I got them backwards, and that allowed the fuel pump to turn on (which I got it to do by switching the double relays), but not to work.

Got the van to run once I figured our my mistake and corrected it. Never underestimate your own stupidity Rolling Eyes

We're running once again, and now it's onto looking for and remedying vacuum leaks.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? - Solved! Reply with quote

DC flows both ways without objections.

You were pulling (the nonexistent) fuel from your injectors and pushing it into the tank!

Glad you found it!

When I put my new pump in I took a black sharpie and made BIG + & - markings on the pump first, just to avoid such a thing. The factory markings are so very small.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! What went wrong on my '81? - Solved! Reply with quote

^^^What he said^^^ The + and - marks on the fuel pump are minuscular.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: