Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

I can remember back to my 1st time! Took forever and I did allow the clutch pedal to fall TWICE! I was 9! Dad was patient. Thanks Dad!

Nice progress!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

My accelerator spring was exactly like yours CC when I was cleaning up the pedals and that whole general area - unfortunately ,it was the only part I (thought) I needed at the time so couldn't order without ridiculous shipping charges ...

So in a pinch , I just "unravelled" the circle one rotation and hooked it up ... been working great since ... and have since ordered and received the new part when I had enough stuff to be shipped au gratis ...

Not installed yet , tho ... pretty tight quarters down there with the body on - -
take advantage of your situation to get all that stuff sorted out before the body gets in the way of YOUR body having to fit in that space under the steering wheel , ahead of the seat , A pillar digging in your ribs , etc etc etc - ask me how I know ...
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Continued efforts Reply with quote

Today was more of a clean up day, really. I am getting ready to put the body on, and do the front end.

But to do that, I will need to do a little more body work, and primer paint and seam sealer.
So, clean 'em up it is.

Kind of a before and after. Wish I could have spared the headliner. It looks OK in the back, but it needs replacing, trust me....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What's the best way to get that old tar off??

I do plan on using some sort of sound proofing substance all over the inside BTW.

Pulled out the windows, cleaned everything up, and bada bing. Fresh canvas, right? And oh, I located the hot lead wire (they sheath it in a black covering.. tricky devils-it's actually a white wire) AND the ground to my window heat.(Brown wire-you can actually see where it fastens/grounds on the chassis in the next picture, that back corner of the right rear passenger area. Bonus!

I will clean up the welds, clean up a few little other areas, then put some primer coats of Master Series and some seam sealer on it. But just the interior. Maybe some in the wheel wells too, and the engine compartment, and ok, what the heck, maybe under the hood too. I think MS can help me in those places.

Yeah, and about those front end parts? Well, they're coming too.
I got the old bushings out of the lower control arms, and wire wheeled them up. They cleaned up nice. A little black paint, some new bushings.
Another before and after..

I got the newer urethane bushings-don't want no super beetle shimmy here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

NICE!!!

Moving along nicely! Knew you could do it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: More work Reply with quote

Last weekend, I was able to do a bit of work, mostly body work, to get the body ready for mating with the chassis so I can get the front end going etc etc etc..

So, I started by opening up the fender issues again, and fixed some torn fender bolt holes, and some light metal work to bump out some dents etc. Next up for this fender (left side rear) will be dry fit with beading and see what body work needs to be done to get a good "match". Then maybe do the same with the other three...sigh.

These fenders are gonna be a good intro to more intensive body work and painting before I attempt to do the main body. whoa...

Also did lots and LOTS of sanding and wire-wheeling, some light "hole filling" with the welder, and temp'ed the areas with some light primer.

This will all be overcoated with Master Series Silver and seam sealer, then another coat of the MSU; the entire exterior and fender wells, engine compartment and front trunk (inside and outside portions) as well. Rust never sleeps right?

Before I paint with MSU I'll scuff with 220 grit, and go from there.

Progress is slow and occurs with jumps and starts. I also read somewhere that "experience is what you get when you screw up"..

So I'm sure I'll get lots of "experience" Laughing .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Bet it feels good to be spraying primer! Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Bet it feels good to be spraying primer! Very Happy

Hehehehe Funny, I JUST told my wife that yesterday.

Since the inside will be completely covered, with sound minimizing layers and/or carpet, headliner, etc, excepting that little area up front, under the dash, by the "A" pillars and back by the "B" pillars, I'm not trying to get too "Alpha - Romero" about it.

It will be the original "L 60 D "Ulmengrun" (Elm Green) color

Then, the fenders will be the next big test, working and painting, then matching them to the body.
Hopefully the fronts will not give me too much work, I did pickup a OEM front from a guy here in town who is REALLY into Beetles.
Body work!

Lesson one:

"Can you say sanding?"
"Good! Say it again.. again..again.. again..again..again...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Good to see primer!

Maybe you already know this, but just in case you do not......

Those weld beads will Telegraph their presence through the layers of interior. Now before you go all “Alfa Romero” on them, let me help you out. Just knock down the beads to around a 1/16th proud of the sheet metal. It can be done quickly with a grinding disc. Then wipe that hit it with primer. You will never feel, nor see the welds!

Glad you are moving along. It is looking really good!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: More fender and body work Reply with quote

Thanks VW_Jimbo, always appreciate the tips. On the aft edge of the fender, I had to fill some holes, one big, full thickness-all-the-way-thru one and then just some "pinholes".
I used a 1"x2" 18 gauge patch for the bigger one, then just applied a little "finesse" for the smaller ones. Red outlines show the big hole location.

Weld patch, grind as suggested, about a 1/16th of inch proud, sand surround to bare metal, a light coat of filler, then a skim coat, then sand and prime. Move on!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Under the VW beetle Reply with quote

For the last two days, my work on the Bug has been getting off that d@mnable stuff they call what, body undercoating? I guess it does a pretty good job, but it's a bugger to get off. Did VW do that, or was that done by an aftermarket shop somewhere?

(Worms eye view)- and mine for 4 hours argh....picture shows about 1/2 way complete.

I have been either lying flat on my back and reaching up, or trying to stoop and get on my knees to get at it.
I've been using a flat putty knife-tried several but a 1" seems to do best.
I have been heating the material up with a heat gun, then switched to a propane torch at the end.
The idea is to get a good base for the Master Series Primer to go over the metal. I am not gonna even try to go to "bare steel", the directions say it will go over "scuffed paint", so that is what I intend to do-scuff with 80 grit.

My abs and hip flexors are pretty much shot.

Today I got most of it, and was wondering if there was a better way to do this.

Maybe put the shell on its side and try that?
Can you do that?
Will it stress it unnaturally?
Can it take that stress?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Under the VW beetle Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
My abs and hip flexors are pretty much shot.

Maybe put the shell on its side and try that?
Can you do that?
Will it stress it unnaturally?
Can it take that stress?

Exactly why I have chosen to finally build a rolling carousel for the Bug. For years I have always tackled the tasks conforming as required. Getting older and having abused my body for 5 decades, it is time for the brain to start flexing its muscle! So a carousel it is!

Evil Fiz has a great thread on one that he built. I like most of the design but need a full 360 degrees of rotation. So I am modifying what he has proven to work.

All that to save my body from more wear, in an effort to allow me to keep working on these cars til I am older!

The body can take the stress of being rolled over, providing you have some padding and strategically placed lumber.

Good luck!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Beetle on it's side.. Beetle down! Beetle down! Reply with quote

So I had been loosing sleep on how I was gonna do this; Beetle on it's side. I was just getting beat up trying to get under and clean the undercoat off..
So, I borrowed a "crash matt", put it down, and used my 2 "cherry picker" thing.

Then just lowered the car down, and tipped 'er over.
About as easy as it is to type it...

Snug as a bug in a rug!

And now I an get all that iundercoating off-In the back engine compartment too!.
Getting ready to paint, and wouldn't ya know it-my air compressor is not cooperating!
It has full pressure in the tank, but the pressure at the end of the hose is like 30 PSI.. Argh.. Could the valve be clogged?
I'll research it and see if I can get it going...
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Spraying Master Series? Not!! Reply with quote

So I got the prep done, put on all my safety gear, the full body clothing, the ventilator, the face sock, prepped the sprayer, cleaned it, sprayed some naphtha for a test, and got it ready to spray the Master Series Silver ... and...
Nothing!
She just WOULD NOT spray/atomize the paint.

Weather was cloudy and 65°. I mixed the paint, and strained it thru the funnel strainer thing (took for-EVER!!) I tried the "10 % reduction with naphtha", I tried adjusting the air; (I started at 40 PSI at the gun regulator and went up) everything I knew about .. Just wouldn't do it.. too thick?

So, not wasting all the safety gear, I just painted the under parts by hand...
Kind of a let down, but the deed is done.

I'll do the seam sealer as needed, then cover the MS with a good anti-rust low /no gloss black paint.
No one sees the underparts, and I'm good with that.
But hey, what was I doing wrong?

I was using the Harbor Freight purple gun with a 1.8mm tip and jet, compressor is 30 gal, set at 90 psi at the compressor regulator. I did get the previously mentioned bugs in the compressor worked out-I replaced the air regulator, made sure everything was working with other air tools.

I know these sprayers aren't "professional grade", but I've seen lots of positive comments about 'em. Basically "Hey, they're cheap, they work, and you can just throw 'em away when done" comments.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

MS is thick so, you needed to be using a 2.0-2.2 tip with about 45-50 psi. At least with the HF purple gun. The HF gun is a little more restricted than most but it should do the job.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

I sprayed plain water through my HF gun just to make sure it worked before dumping paint into it. (and to roughly check the pattern)

Looking good 'Clipper! Been a while since I checked the Forums, and I'm happy to see progress. Can't wait to get back to my bug (one of these days!)

Best,

Jeremy
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Take off the cup and check for a little filter and remove it. Than try again. 25, 30, 35 psi, try all
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Thanks Everyone Reply with quote

Thanks folks. Will try a mod I found on YouTube for increasing the spraygun tip to 2mm.
Yeah, just like that-
5/64th" drill bit, a little twisty-twisty, and you're "golf-tango-golf", right?
Right...
We'll see I guess. I hope it works, 'cause I hated to have to spend 1/2 HOUR to get into my industrial safety gear complete with the Tyvak overalls, the hoodie, the gloves, the booties, the hat, the full on frikken' "Contagion" respirator-yeah you get the drill-only to have the sprayer (crap) the bed!!!
I DID get all the MS undercoating on-"no brush marks ever"-, and painted over. so, that's a good thing. Now to do the insides and -boom- resume more body work.

Well, maybe next week. Fall break coming up- That might work in my favor.....
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Fender fitting and Clean up welds Reply with quote

Today was a good day. (well, until I ran into the garage door and screwed THAT up).
In getting ready for priming the insides of the bug, I "cleaned up" a lot of the welds, and got all my ducks in a row. Nothing fancy, not perfect; no one sees it but me, yeah, I can live with that....

This is all gonna get sprayed with MS silver primer, seam sealer, then another coat of MS.
I saw a YT video for increasing the diameter of the HF spray gun from 1.4mm to 1.8mm using a 5/64ths drill bit.
So, got ail those things, and started up.
Air compressor-CHECK!- works like a champ now. (replaced the regulator valve-$6 at HF)
Ahh but now, first order of the day will be to fix that garage door. Hopefully it won't eat into my bug work.....I can hope, can't I?

I also worked on the left rear fender, and got a good "first time" fitting. Boom!
A little more body work and it will be close.

Also, I took a look at the steering box. I removed it AND the idler arm a few weeks ago, and haven't really been able to do much except a little reading on same. Still haven't got that old bushing out of the idler arm to replace it with the bronze one-I need a real shops press for that.

I noticed a "tool" required for centering the steering box (worm gear, not rack and pinion) The VW tool number is, as I recall "113 412 375". I didn't happen to have one, but I think I got the "gist" of it, and made my own.
I used a 1.5" M8 bolt, and ground off all the threads except maybe 4-5 threads at the top of the nut. then I ground a fine point into the tip, and bada bing! Works like a champ!

And "in situ".....I'm accepting orders- $5 a piece. Wink

Rock on!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: She's Alive! Reply with quote

My HF sprayer is now officially working.

I did the modification (drill nozzle with 5/64ths bit ) and it seemed to make a major difference. Good patterns, good coverage, CHECK!
So, into the "contagion" gear, and after a quick pattern/fluid check, we got 'er done.
First coat of MS silver officially SPRAYED on. I think it looks real good. That silver paint really sets it off.
First the engine compartment....

Then the rear luggage tray...

My can of Eastwood seam sealer looked like it "set" a little too much, so I'm gonna try and reconstitute it with some Toluene.
I have some tubes of seam sealer, so if that fails, well, I have a backup.
Then, another coat of MS, and then I'll tackle the front luggage compartment, same plan; MS, seam seal, second coat.
After I get the second coat, I'll put on a sandable primer and call it for now.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

She looks pretty in Silver! Girls like fine metals!

Impressive! Quite the transformation. Did you ever think you would get to this point? Awesome work!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 40

Jump to: