Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
actualsurfer wrote:

Thank You OPRN. That is what a Dodge 1T Dually was made for. I understand other peoples reservations but if you own that piece of equipment then chances are you are not afraid to use it.

Rolling Eyes You do realize that other than fender flares, the bed on a 1 ton dually is the same as a 1/2ton truck & that the tailgate wasn’t designed to carry a load right?

All correct.

My sand rail front end weights about what I do so if I can't put the weight of the front of the Buggy on it then it's not safe for me to walk or to sit on it either.

The other point is that in my part of the world as far as the authorities that regulate highway trucks are concerned the tire load rating determines how muck your truck can carry. That means his 1 ton 3500 dually Dodge has a higher load rating than my 1 ton 3500 Dodge even though the boxes are identical.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

actualsurfer wrote:
oprn wrote:
I have hauled our Sand rail in a pickup with a 6' box. Left the tail gate down and the tires rested on that. I also hauled a Daihatsu mini truck in the box of my Dodge 3500. The tail gate even closed!

There should be no issue hauling a Beetle in the box of a 1 ton dually. The problem would be getting it in and out and tying it down without marking it up. There are lots of trucks on the road here with two 4 X 4 quads in the back. That would weigh just as much as a Beetle.

Thank You OPRN. That is what a Dodge 1T Dually was made for. I understand other peoples reservations but if you own that piece of equipment then chances are you are not afraid to use it.

I am leaning towards a trailer but ultimately its my brothers decision. When I asked him about a trailer he said, "Yeah but you cant go 80mph with a trailer!"

It'd be tight but possible for width, I guess - from what I can see online a '63 is 60.5" wide, and the tailgate gap in a Ram 3500 is between 62 and 63" depending on year, so 3/4" to 1.25" clearance either side.

Probably need to raise the floor with blocks or something so that the running boards don't contact the wheelhousings of the truck.

Still have the issue of a '63 being 159" long, and a Ram 3500 longbed with the tailgate down having 120" of length. That's over 3 feet of Beetle sticking out beyond the tailgate....
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

WTF just haul it already..enough blabber...shsssh.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

TDI will be skeered my V8 Dakota 4X4 tailgate is too weak? Twisted Evil
https://i.imgur.com/iIBZhE8.jpg
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the operation Very Happy
actualsurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

Well I wanted to update everyone here with my transport drama. At the end of the day I decided to purchase a trailer in NY and my brother is going to tow the whole shebang out to California. When she arrives Ill sell the trailer for what I paid.

Its a cool racing trailer built by a racer to haul around his stock car to race on the weekends. has a built in storage area/workshop as well as flood lights all around for night loading etc.

Thanks for the advice. I am glad I can keep the $ in the family and pay my brother to do what he is already doing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

Cool traveling garage! Safe trip.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

A little late to the game and I'm glad to see you went the trailer route. I just wanted to throw in my two cents on flat towing as it seems no one mentioned the fact that when you flat tow with a tow dolly or tow bar, you can not back up with the car hooked up like you can with a trailer. You must remember with for thought about u- turns, parking and cul-da-sacs.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
A little late to the game and I'm glad to see you went the trailer route. I just wanted to throw in my two cents on flat towing as it seems no one mentioned the fact that when you flat tow with a tow dolly or tow bar, you can not back up with the car hooked up like you can with a trailer. You must remember with for thought about u- turns, parking and cul-da-sacs.

I'm late to this one, too, and I want to agree with what the OP did. As I read through this, I kept thinking, "why not buy a trailer out there, haul the car, then resell the trailer if you don't need it? Even if you lost a little cash, it would still be cheaper than shipping the car.

Also, to the point about not backing with a towbar, another thing to remember when flat towing is if the car does not have an engine installed, you need to stick a clutch disk on the trans input shaft and wire it up to keep it from spinning. That shaft will flail around in there if left alone, and beat the crap out of the trans.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

surprised nobody thought laterally... Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

A twofer. Shocked Laughing

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ElStiemo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting a VW Beetle on a pickup truck Reply with quote

finster wrote:
surprised nobody thought laterally... Laughing

AH! My hometown people at it again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: