Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O Ghia's Restoration Journey
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Good score with the reference photos and parts, even though you did not buy the bumpers. The steering wheel could be a genuine VW "Formula Vee" accessory wheel, if you like that style.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From the 1969 VW accessories brochure:

I like those deep-dish wheels, though those are way wider than what came on Ghias originally. Look like 5.5" repro's.

Was John still up and getting around? Moogie32 and I have known him since at least the late 1980's, having been to that very same shop in that era also. He had an aluminum-bodied Lawrence-styled Rometsch at the time Cool Very Happy , really battered but fascinating to see.

I wondered if that steering wheel could be restored?
The wheels and tires are brand new. Who he bought the car from bought them in order to sell the car. Not a very wise choice!

John is doing great. He's still there every day. I have a ball every time I go there. I don't know how but he keeps finding these cars. A few months ago he picked up an early 60s coupe. It needed a full restoration but it was well worth restoring. His yard is full.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

obus wrote:
those lenses!!! Shocked

They looked terrible on the car. I think the layers of dirt must have protected them?? Hard to imagine how the car could be so bad and the lens were so nice.
I almost hate to put them on the car. Not easy to find in this condition.

I also bought the rear vert glass window with the hinges and drain tubes still attached along with all 4 reusable body grommets. Didn't have those either. The chrome latch was too pitted to be useful and it was frozen to the frame so I gave up on it.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Quote:
I wondered if that steering wheel could be restored?

Probably. I see a section of the driver-facing wood delaminating from the core section, and in the first shot one quadrant of the wheel appears to be slightly deformed/pushed rearward. I think the delaminating can be reattached with a few small wood screws drilled in from the other side, along with gluing. Maybe just clamping it back down and using a strong urethane-based glue such as Gorilla Glue... All wood would be sanded, then refinished and polyurethane'd for protection. Any corrosion on the spokes and the center horn hub very carefully sanded down with very fine sandpaper such as 600 wet.

I'm glad to hear John is doing well. I saw him at a distance just 2 months ago at the big VW meet Bug-a-Fair in Terryville, Connecticut but did not make my way over to say hi. I suppose being in the biz for so long, going out to assess and possibly buy old VWs from "barn finds" causes the family and children to remember him. Contacting him about an old VW to sell from remembering him dealing with the parents, provides an "in" that somebody will buy it who appreciates it, even if it is as rough as the red Ghia Cabrio.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
What a fun find Marc!
Great to see factory details— thanks for sharing.

I've been very fortunate that something like this comes along and it just happens to be the same year as I have. Very strange coincidences.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

For your Ghia: reference for the horn wire routing, on the 12,000 mile original '71 now on BaT:
[img]https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/1971_volkswagen_karmann-ghia_1626980690d20b88ca85326G-11-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1365[img]

Confused I can't get the image to post here, but if you click on the link within the "img" brackets it'll take you to it. Seller should've used the camera flash or an auxiliary light to illuminate that dark area to better see the details. Mad
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
For your Ghia: reference for the horn wire routing, on the 12,000 mile original '71 now on BaT:
[img]https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/1971_volkswagen_karmann-ghia_1626980690d20b88ca85326G-11-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1365[img]

Confused I can't get the image to post here, but if you click on the link within the "img" brackets it'll take you to it. Seller should've used the camera flash or an auxiliary light to illuminate that dark area to better see the details. Mad

Thank you for noticing. The PO installed a complete new wiring harness. I will correct this "splice" and return it to factory correct. This is what it looks like nowP

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

I ended up having to remove the back bumper. The bracket covers that the PO put on the car were obviously not fitting the rear apron of the car. I found that bracket covers changed over the years and these are for an earlier Ghia. The PO got me again!! Rolling Eyes I was able to buy some nice originals from another 71 parts car. The covers are very different. The correct cover for 1971 (also fits 70) is on the left.

I tried to install them last night and surprise!! The bumper brackets are also different! Rolling Eyes Actually, I'm hoping that the only difference is the location of the holes for the bracket covers. I hope I can get away with drilling/enlarging the holes for the bracket covers but I need some measurements. Does anyone have a back bumper bracket from a 1970 to 1971 that could please provide these measurements?

My drawings are not to scale.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Last edited by Marcdeb on Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Well, on the bright side, at least they are Karmann Ghia parts. Have you found anything from a Ford Bronco on your car yet?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Well, on the bright side, at least they are Karmann Ghia parts. Have you found anything from a Ford Bronco on your car yet?

Not yet, but I wouldn't rule it out!!

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:

You’ve got me wondering about my rear bracket covers as they don’t seem to fit well either— do not cozy up to the body. Maybe you’ve got mine?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:

You’ve got me wondering about my rear bracket covers as they don’t seem to fit well either— do not cozy up to the body. Maybe you’ve got mine?

I wouldn't doubt it at all. Let's swap!!

My fronts didn't fit either but I trimmed and filed them and got them to work. If I ever remove the front bumper, I'll check them to see if they are the wrong ones. Just another one of those "future projects".

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
I ended up having to remove the back bumper. The bracket covers that the PO put on the car were obviously not fitting the rear apron of the car. I found that bracket covers changed over the years and these are for an earlier Ghia. The PO got me again!! Rolling Eyes I was able to buy some nice originals from another 71 parts car. The covers are very different.

I tried to install them last night and surprise!! The bumper brackets are also different! Rolling Eyes Actually, I'm hoping that the only difference is the location of the holes for the bracket covers. I hope I can get away with drilling/enlarging the holes for the bracket covers but I need some measurements. Does anyone have a back bumper bracket from a 1970 to 1971 that could please provide these measurements?

My drawings are not to scale.

I am all set. I no longer need to get measurement. I have correct bumper brackets on the way. I'm pretty sure I could have made the older brackets work by drilling holes, or elongating the existing holes, but I much prefer to just have correct parts when available.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Fall seems to be an easier time to work on the car. Yesterday I pulled the fuel sender out to inspect the inside of the fuel tank and also to syphon out the 2+year old gas that was in it. While checking the fuel sender I noticed that it had an E clip holding the outer can on. It's obvious with the threads on the rod that it's not intended to be an E clip. fortunately, I have a spare unit. I used the nut and locking washer from the spare. Now how do you suppose an E clip found it's way onto the sending unit?? Might it be the PO?? Shocked

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Today was a great day. OGhia was taken off the road around 2008. It received a rebuilt speedometer along the way and it still had only 1 mile on the car when I bought it in May of 2019. This morning it still only had 5 miles on it. The last time I started the car was November 2020. After putting some fresh nonethanol gas in, I started her up. She started after about 10 seconds of pumping. I let her warm up. She was a bit rough at first but after several minutes got much smoother. I could tell the fresh gas along with Tim's magic with rebuilding the carb was agreeing with the engine. I drove around my neighborhood 3 times and then took her up on the main road and up the hill which is quite steep. I have very little experience driving an air cooled VW but I was actually very surprised at how much power she had. I've done so much reading about these cars and expected much less. I started up the hill in 4th gear doing 45. She was still doing over 40 when I got to the top and never had to down shift. I went back to the house and picked up the wife and we went for our first drive together in OGhia. By the time we got back I had more than doubled the odometer reading. She now has 11 miles on the odometer. The plan is to try and get as many short trips as I can before putting her up for winter. She's still not ready for state inspection so I'll have to stay close to home.

The transmission was smooth as silk. I was very impressed. And she never stalled once. There's still a lot of work to do but I feel like I'm so much further ahead today than I was yesterday.

One issue is a clunking sound only when I turned left at intersections?? I had an issue with the wheels hitting the fender when I first got the car, but that was due to the steering limit bolts being missing. They are now in place and the noise I hear is different than that.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Last edited by Marcdeb on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Congrats Marc, that’s gotta feel good driving that beauty after all that work and aggravation dealing with RT’s bull hockey.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Thank you Brauckuche,
Yes, it was a very exciting day. Very long overdue. After the ride, she got some fresh new oil. Later this week, I'm picking up the correct replacement brackets and then the back bumper will go back on very soon.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

That first drive with the wife is always special, Marc. Mine didn't go so well. The speedo cable snapped and we had a terrible gasoline smell in the car after every left turn.

Turns out that: (1) we had a too long speedo cable and (2) there was gas overflow into the wheel well. (I've since fixed both.)

By the way, what colour is your Ghia? Mine, Lotus white, slightly tweaked, looks very similar.
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

WHOHOOOOO!!! Congratulations Marc! Well worth the journey, right?
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
That first drive with the wife is always special, Marc. Mine didn't go so well. The speedo cable snapped and we had a terrible gasoline smell in the car after every left turn.

Turns out that: (1) we had a too long speedo cable and (2) there was gas overflow into the wheel well. (I've since fixed both.)

By the way, what colour is your Ghia? Mine, Lotus white, slightly tweaked, looks very similar.

Oh no! Well you at least have some memories that you hopefully can laugh about now Exclamation
What caused the gas overflow into the wheel well?

The color had been chosen long before I bought the car. I think it was intended to be Light Ivory. I liked it and decided to stay with it. The paint shop didn't do a very good job matching it up so it has a bit of a pale yellow look to it at times, but I like it. I think your car does look very similar in color.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
WHOHOOOOO!!! Congratulations Marc! Well worth the journey, right?

Thank you Diane,
Yes, well worth it for sure. The journey is far from over though. Lots more fun to come. Very Happy I really enjoyed the drive and can't wait for the next one. Maybe tomorrow! Dancing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 47

Jump to: