Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump/Fuel Pump Relay Electrical Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbennett67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump/Fuel Pump Relay Electrical Issue Reply with quote

Recently got in my 1977 Superbeetle Convertible and could not start it. Cranked fine and starts with starter spray. So not an issue with engine or sparks. After a bit of poking around, I have narrowed it down to a fuel delivery issue. Thought it was the fuel filter or fuel pump so I replaced them both. Did not drain my fuel tank...so a messy day for me today. But all looked great.

Still no start.

Moved back to the fuel pump relay and tested and replaced it as well.

Still no start

getting about only about 6 volts through to the pump...but not enough to hear any noise when key in and battery connected. Seems to be an electrical issue but cannot figure out my next step.

Ideas???
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump/Fuel Pump Relay Electrical Issue Reply with quote

Welcome!

First place to look is behind the back seat on the RH sidewall of the luggage area, under the bigger aluminum box is a smaller relay, are the connections all clean and tight in the plug?, no evidence of water damage?, are all the places where they screw down clean so they ground properly?, is the little brown wire attached to the negative terminal of the battery secure and clean?
If that all checks out (not just looks, actually removing and cleaning) then move on to the air flow meter, with the air cleaner lid and element removed, and the key on, do you hear a click when you shove something into that rectangular hole where the air sucks in?, does the fuel pump run?, how's the voltage at the red/blue wire coming out of that relay in the luggage compartment?, how about the body end of the ground wire up front for the fuel pump? (it's up in the front trunk somewhere).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump/Fuel Pump Relay Electrical Issue Reply with quote

please check the ground lead to the fuel pump as well. Its not grounded anywhere near the pump. Its grounded near the left headlight at the inner fender. A weak ground there stopped my bug from starting.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: