Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

You'll look good in this car!

You may find that that's more engine than you need. Will you be upgrading the brakes to haul the thing down from speed?

Thanks!

I’m sure the engine will be a good puller, but don’t think it’s gonna be a screamer. Especially with the mild cam, Kadrons and the stock exhaust. Although I’m sure it’ll have a Vintage Speed exhaust before to long.

As far as the brakes are concerned, I’m not planning on upgrading to powered front discs, if that’s what your asking. I am going through the whole brake system though. New dual circuit master cylinder, new soft lines, new brake cylinders and new shoes. So they should work nicely.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Spent another couple of hours with the bug today. Don’t feel like I got much done, but I can’t do it all in one day. I was able to get 2 coats of primer and paint on the gas tank, I primered it early this morning and painted it this afternoon. Still hot and dry here, great for painting. Then I installed the master cylinder and bent the brake lines to fit, which was a total bitch and took a lot of my time. But I got it done.

Early today I was speaking with my builder about the transaxle. Since both boots were badly torn, we were concerned about that it might have been run out of oil. So I pulled the drain plugs and was happy to see a fair amount of oil come out. It didn’t even have a lot of metal swirls in it. While I was under there I scraped a bunch more of dirt off. That caked on stuff is like cement in some places. That took some time as well.

I also picked up my tires from the shop. If I don’t like the silver, I’ll just paint them again.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Varga dual circuit MC with the reservoir on top.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Great save 👍
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Dirty day with the bus. First I cut out the old and installed new swing axle boots. Then I started on the front brakes. I got both sides totally disassembled, races removed, everything cleaned, primed and painted. Seems like I didn’t do much, but it took hours.

I used FEBI boots

Check out that clutch cable…

Great ingenuity on that clutch cable! lol whatever works.

Keep an eye on those Febi boots. I installed new ones over a year ago and they both dry rotted/cracked and started leaking. I installed some Empi (yeah I know not my first choice, but my local VW garage swears by them) silicon boots and they fit/seal better and are a tougher material.

A few suggestions: 1) Replace the rear torsion bushings, they are always forgotten and they play a big part in the ride. 2) Use some universal door foam sealing 3/4 inch under the gas tank when you reinstall it. 3) Clearance the transmission (if it is still a 6v) for the 12v flywheel. 4) Check the clutch fork at the pedals and transmission for wear. 5) If your transmission flanges start leaking install some Weddle flange stiffeners. They will permanently fix the leak. 6) Replace transmission mounts while you have it disassembled. Only use rubber mounts, not the silicon ones. 7) Shifter bushings front and rear need to be replaced. Cool Replace your steering coupler while the tank is out. 9) Install a aftermarket front sway bar and a rear camber compensator if you want this thing to handle. 10) Replace body mount grommets while the tank is out and the rear wheels are off. If they are worn out the car will clunk when you hit bumps.

Have fun with this sweet ride!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=741359&highlight=
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Thanks, toxicavenger70. Many of the items you posted on you list I am going to do. I’m gonna leave the transaxle stuff for now to see if it even works. I’m also gonna leave the spring plate bushing for now as well. Although I do understand the importance of replacing them. I replaced them on both my old ‘68 Westy and my current ‘71 Westy. I appreciate your feedback, thanks again!

Didn’t have much time today, but I felt like I did something. Yay! I got the passenger front hub and drum all assembled. I installed a new ATE brake cylinder, got all the hardware cleaned up, cleaned the star washers, installed everything and installed new FAG roller bearings and a new seal in the drum. Then I hooked up the new soft line, screwed it to the hard line and got that all squared away. I got the drivers side cylinder and soft line installed and got the hard lines all squared away there too. All hard lines are now secured to the MC. I also installed new KYB Excel G shocks on both sides.

I was putting an order together at WW, so I decided to pull the pedal assembly to see how bad it was. It’s pretty crusty. So I add a bunch of items to my order to rebuild that as well. One more thing to the list…. I’m hoping to get everything I need to get done finished before the end of the month so I can have AAA tow it to the shop for the engine install. 🤞

MTNbus and I are headed back to the graveyard on Friday to look for some more stuff. I’m thinking some new seats I saw last time,maybe some running boards and some pop out windows.

It’s looking pretty clean, well better then it was anyway…

Super crusty!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

That's interesting how you packed the rear wheel bearing in moly. I've never done that, as it will be lubricated by and swimming in 90-weight very soon. Think I'm curious if your mechanic recommended that.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Although I’ve been working on the car everyday for a couple of weeks now, today I feel like I actually got something accomplished. I got the front drivers side drum finished and adjusted both sides. Front brakes done!

Now it was time to tackle the rear wheel bearings. I’ve read a bunch of threads in this forum and you all had me convinced this job was a PITA and the axle was going to fall out. We’ll, it turns out the axle doesn’t fall out and I had both bearings out in about 20 minutes. I put the axle nut on and tapped the axle out as far as it would go. Then used the pneumatic cutting wheel and cut a grove into the bearing. I put a chisel in the grove and sacked it with the 3 lbs hammer. This moved the bearing enough to get the chisel behind the bearing so I could tap the axle back in to push the bearing out. This job was way easier then you all described, which I was stoked on. I lightly packed the new bearings and got those installed. I understand they are lubed from the transaxle, but my builder told me to grease the so I did.

After that I disassembled the pedal cluster and cleaned that up, it was pretty crusty. It’s looking a lot better now, I got the pedals primed and they will be painted tomorrow.

Good day!

Tank looks ok, or at least better then it was anyway.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
That's interesting how you packed the rear wheel bearing in moly. I've never done that, as it will be lubricated by and swimming in 90-weight very soon. Think I'm curious if your mechanic recommended that.

Yes, he told me not to install them dry. I didn’t go crazy with the grease. I just smeared some in there.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

yeah im not sure thats too healthy for syncros
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

It’s been a productive 3 days. Friday we went to the graveyard and I got a nice set of front seats and a backseat. These are in good shape and I’ll use them until I do the full interior. I also got the tubes that go from the exchangers to the body and a star washer I needed.

Saturday I worked on the rear brakes since I got the new bearings installed. Both sides got new soft lines, new ATE brake cylinders and new shoes. I cleaned and used all the hardware that was in there.

Today I adjusted the rear brakes and got the axle nuts as tight as I could. While I was working on the back I installed the new rear shocks. Then I pulled apart the shifter and pulled the shift rod. I cleaned and painted the shifter and the base. While that stuff was drying I cleaned the shift rod with the wire wheel, installed a new bushing and reinstalled a new rod. I didn’t have a new shift coupler, I’ll have to get one and install it at a later date. Then I greased the steering box and all the zerks in the front end. Then I installed a new clutch cable, Bowden tube and throttle cable. As the day was winding down, I pulled the gas pedal and rebuilt the brake and clutch assembly. I ordered a new gas pedal and linkage, I’ll install them after I get the assembly installed.

Not sure what I’m gonna do next. I gotta got through my list, cross some stuff off and add new stuff. I have a buddy coming over on Tuesday to help me do a few things. I’ll probably work on the brakes some more so we can bleed them before I reinstall the gas tank. Its gonna be tough to put fluid in reservoir on top of the MC, so I’m thinking I’ll set all that up before I install the tank.

We loaded up the ‘59

Rear is done

Shift rod after I cleaned it up

Cleaned, painted and installed shifter

Rebuilt pedal assembly

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Yes, he told me not to install them dry. I didn’t go crazy with the grease. I just smeared some in there.

I have done the same the last 30 years, no issues.
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Great progress Richie ! Keep the momentum

also, nice avatar photo "upgrade" !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

mtnbus wrote:
Great progress Richie ! Keep the momentum

also, nice avatar photo "upgrade" !

Thanks Mtnbus, our weekly trips have been giving me motivation.

That’s the best pic you ever took of me!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I didn’t have much time to wrench the past 2 days, but I did manage to get some stuff done. I flipped my axle boot clamps so the screw head is on the bottom now. I cleaned the transaxle ground strap. I installed a new steering coupler. I wire wheeled, primed and painted the floor pans. The gaping hole will be repaired when it goes in the shop for the engine. I loosened all the fenders and pulled the old bead, after I clean up the paint I’ll install new bead. I also finally got the brakes all buttoned up and I’m hoping to have the time to bleed them tomorrow.

I ordered a few more small things from Jbugs, hoping to have it by the weekend. But, I’m not holding my breath.

Got the MC install finally finished

Painted pans and a hole…

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I also found out that my car was built in November of ‘64 and my plate numbers match the numbers on the tunnel. I wish these cars had M Plates like the buses have. Those plates tell you everything about the vehicle.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I had a buddy with a hole in the floor pan of his beater he had in high school. He called it the "contraband hole" Shocked Laughing
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I switched the brake master reservoir to where the cap faced the front of the car. It made filling it up with the gas tank in a little easier.

I am not sure if you are wanting to use the heater on this car or not, but if you are this is a great time to replace the heater cables and make sure the flaps are all working.

Keep up the killer work.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
I switched the brake master reservoir to where the cap faced the front of the car. It made filling it up with the gas tank in a little easier.

I am not sure if you are wanting to use the heater on this car or not, but if you are this is a great time to replace the heater cables and make sure the flaps are all working.

Keep up the killer work.

Thanks for the tip on the reservoir. I did set the tank in place and was thinking this is the way. But I’ll switch it around before I bleed the brakes, which I’d like to do that before I reinstall the tank.

This car will have heat, I scored a set of cherry OG DP heat exchangers when I bought the car. I have checked the operation of the heater cables and they seem to be working properly. Even the ones that dump heat into the back are working good.

Thanks for the props, I’m headed out now for wrench for a few hours. I’m sure I’ll post my progress. ✌🏻
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

So I’ve been poking around the forum, looking for info and I found this post about a US Spec European Delivery cars. This car has the steering lock and I don’t believe it has a flasher switch. Do you guys think this car a US Spec European Delivery?

My next question is about the birth certificates. What will they tell me about the car? Do they offer as much information as an M-Plate on a bus?

matthew henricks wrote:
Nice. US Spec European Delivery. Usually this had the steering lock and red/amber tail lights.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I have checked the operation of the heater cables and they seem to be working properly. Even the ones that dump heat into the back are working good.

Mine worked pretty decent but the tubes were full of old grease. I filled up the tubes with some brake clean and shot some compressed air thru them. You wouldn't believe all the junk that came out. After it dried out I put in some new white lithium grease.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: