Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windows are REALLY tough to roll up and/or down
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Windows are REALLY tough to roll up and/or down Reply with quote

I've a 1970 Vert and, while the windows DO roll up and down...it's a bit of a workout. Any good guides to troubleshooting and fixing? Can't seem to find anything good with the search tools for some reason. Thanks in advance.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows are REALLY tough to roll up and/or down Reply with quote

3 things to work on probably....
the window regulators wear or at the very least need lubricating.
the window runs on a track in the door and the track can get quite 'gummed up', clean and lubricate.
the guide buffs, felts and outside door rubber need to be there and in good nick.
hard to know without taking the door card off and seeing what is going on.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows are REALLY tough to roll up and/or down Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
3 things to work on probably....
the window regulators wear or at the very least need lubricating.
the window runs on a track in the door and the track can get quite 'gummed up', clean and lubricate.
the guide buffs, felts and outside door rubber need to be there and in good nick.
hard to know without taking the door card off and seeing what is going on.

I took everything apart. Cleaned up the gears, re-greased them, re-installed them and they are pretty smooth. After all that work, I figured out that the issues is the gap between the two felt pieces doesn't seem to be the correct width and is causing a high amount of friction, pinching the windows and keeping me from getting them back down through the slots to install. Does anybody know what the correct gap measurement should be? With the felt pieces out, I'm sliding my fingers from left to right and I can tell that they really get tight on the far left and right? I'm currently in search of a 1/2 in piece of scrap wood to try to widen the gap but don't know what I'm shooting for.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows are REALLY tough to roll up and/or down Reply with quote

Okay, after a LOT of work, problem solved. I removed everything, windows, window regulator, etc. I greased the regular and there was no noticeable difference. The issue, for me, is that the distance/gap in the metal opening at the top was .625 inches and, with the felts in, was pinching the glass and not letting it roll up OR down. Other people reported to me that their gap was .72 to .75 inches so I made it a goal to make my gap the same.

I went to Lowes and got a 3/4 inch scrap piece of wood and made myself 2 pieces. Then I pulled the metal apart at the center where it was easiest to bend. Next used a rubber mallet to move it a couple inches at a time all the way to the left, rocking it back and forth gently each time to widen the gap. I left that piece in overnight at the far left where it felt the tightest even after rocking. Then I put the second piece in and did the same all the way to the right, rocking back and forth gently. I also left that piece in overnight on the far right.

Came back the next day, removed the wood and snapped the felt pieces in and the window slide through it nicely. Hard to roll windows up/down problem solved!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: