Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 304, 305, 306 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyatt.bales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I broke the car. Lol! I've been restoring the bug for quite some time now. I've done everything except the paintwork, that's a Macco special! Not bad, just really offset with terrible service but the paint turned out as a B- maybe a C+ job. Anyways, I rebuilt the engine. It's knocking. Everything is new except the rods and I feel like that's my issue. Thoughts?

- https://youtu.be/toCWKV67bFc
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

wyatt.bales wrote:
Anyways, I rebuilt the engine. It's knocking. Everything is new except the rods and I feel like that's my issue. Thoughts?

-

Link

Did you have your bearings matched to your crankshaft? Was the crankshaft even machined? Why are you even trying to run without the generator/fan turning, and with tins missing?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

wyatt.bales wrote:
I broke the car. Lol! I've been restoring the bug for quite some time now. I've done everything except the paintwork, that's a Macco special! Not bad, just really offset with terrible service but the paint turned out as a B- maybe a C+ job. Anyways, I rebuilt the engine. It's knocking. Everything is new except the rods and I feel like that's my issue. Thoughts?

The noise seems to be coming from the crankshaft pulley -- makes me think either the pulley is loose on the crank, the pulley bolt washer is loose, or maybe the oil slinger is rattling on the crank.
wyatt.bales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
wyatt.bales wrote:
Anyways, I rebuilt the engine. It's knocking. Everything is new except the rods and I feel like that's my issue. Thoughts?

-

Link

Did you have your bearings matched to your crankshaft? Was the crankshaft even machined? Why are you even trying to run without the generator/fan turning, and with tins missing?

Did I have the bearings matched to my crank, as in a standard crank with a standard bearing? yes. My crankshaft is new and balanced. I'm running without the fan and gen to eliminate questions of "is the fan knocking?" Also, the tins missing don't make the engine run badly. I have the tins. Just getting it back together as it's being restored.
wyatt.bales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
wyatt.bales wrote:

The noise seems to be coming from the crankshaft pulley -- makes me think either the pulley is loose on the crank, the pulley bolt washer is loose, or maybe the oil slinger is rattling on the crank.

I'll recheck the tightness on the crank pulley, but remember the fan belt is off and the high pitch noise is from that rattleing. I'll get a better video tomorrow.
wyatt.bales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
wyatt.bales wrote:

-

Link

https://youtu.be/gRXcNQQxxf0, here with the fan/gen belt on. Yes, I will attach the vacuum line once my "T" comes in for it.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

wyatt.bales wrote:
... https://youtu.be/gRXcNQQxxf0 ...

Sounds alot like when I was a kid with a clothespin holding a baseball card slapping on bicycle spokes. Do you have a stethascope? A short piece of hose will due; put one end near your ear, other end can probe around to help locate where sound eminates from. (Be careful around moving parts!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wyatt.bales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

It's the clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nVc2FJFlhc
The Posh Mushroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well I started trying to replace a leaky wheel cylinder on my 66.

Turns out my rear axle seal was leaking too, so i replaced the rear axle seal, and both wheel cylinders. Adjusted and bled all the brakes too.

Then my handbrake cable snapped while readjusting it so i replaced the handbrake cables.

I had the car up on jack stands and the wheels off, so i put all new shocks on.

finally i drained and refilled the transaxle and I’ve been driving and enjoying it since

Next up is hooking up my windshield washer fluid reservoir and fixing my emergency flashers!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

So you're saying you're having trouble getting enough blinker fluid and need to upgrade the reservoir?????
Wink
Cool
Smile
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

wyatt.bales wrote:
It's the clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nVc2FJFlhc

Could be the thrust bearing as well. Did you check and dial in the endplay?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Now that school has started it was time to stop taking the bug on long drives and start making some improvements. Today I got rid of the ugly third brake light and replaced it with a led strip. Nice and bright even in sunlight. I also started swapping the fixed quarter glass for original pop outs. Now the kids won’t melt when we get stuck in beach traffic!

One question I have is on a 67 with the “off white” interior should I go with the black hinge cover and interior window trim or should it be the white? Thanks for the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:
One question I have is on a 67 with the “off white” interior should I go with the black hinge cover and interior window trim or should it be the white?

In my opinion, the hinge cover colour should match the pinch welt you use. If you have black pinch welt use black covers, and if you have off white pinch welt then use off white covers.

Black: Welt / Cover

Off White: Welt / Cover

There's also a chrome cover option if you want: Chrome Cover
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well……. I wasn’t sure which to use so I got both! I’m leaning towards black because it matches the rest of the window rubber in the car. It also hides dirt. Thanks for the info.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I changed the shift rod bushing, and job I wasn't looking forward to but it wasn't that bad. The old bushing was shot but the hanger was in good shape, I thought the car shifted good before now it is 10 times better. I made a helper out of PVC to re-install the shift rod it worked out great I got the idea from a U-Tube video. It was more work removing everything that is in the way than it actual job itself, the inside of the tunnel looked brand new.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well I have been busy this past week installing parts I have had on the shelve for a few months. I put on KYB Gas shocks about 6 months ago and never really liked them, so I replaced them with Sachs brand Oil Filled shocks amd a Sachs steering damper I like this ride better, I also replaced the fender beading that the PO just painted over when he shot the re-paint . Lucked out all the bolts came out pretty easy ( I have been shooting them with PB Blaster the past few weeks) and there is one broken bolt from the PO. I will removed that one when I pull the fenders this Winter.

Hector65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New to the site and just bought a 65 with aftermarket rag top.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Welcome! I wish you lots of good luck with all of the projects that come your way. Post a picture or two so everyone can see the progress you make.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I re -adjusted the Points and cleaned them up with a file, and also the terminals' inside the cap. Reset the timing with the light and checked the dwell and the RPM with a meter I got at a swap meet Sunday. Still need to check/adjust the valves, should they be adjusted before the Mini tuneup? This is the OG engine, it runs great for the mileage on it.
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Put in a new solenoid, starter, bushing, and cables. Starts like a champ again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 304, 305, 306 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 305 of 317

Jump to: