Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Corwyn wrote:
I have a kill switch buried where you'd never find it - unless you buy the van. Not to the fuel pump, not the ignition . . .

I hope you've left instructions somewhere for your decedents!

Just found this thread. Decedent is the one who dies. I think you mean survivors.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Corwyn wrote:
I have a kill switch buried where you'd never find it - unless you buy the van. Not to the fuel pump, not the ignition . . .

I hope you've left instructions somewhere for your decedents!

Just found this thread. Decedent is the one who dies. I think you mean survivors.

Shocked Yes. Descendants. Embarassed
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Dave O is absolutely correct--a rock will defeat any locks--and any door alarms. Take out the hatch window and you can steal the Z bed, truck fridge and front seats and no one would know.

Kill switches are great for thrill ride seekers, but if you have an obviously gussied up Syncro Westy a flat bed tow truck doesn't care about kill switches.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In my opinion, curtains hiding possible goodies will increase the likely loss of the PS front window.

Duncan
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Dave O is absolutely correct--a rock will defeat any locks--and any door alarms.

In most theft cases, the thief does not have a flatbed. If they did, lets be real, they would probably steal a more valuable/sought after vehicle.

The question are you looking to prevent thefts from the "contents" in your van, or prevent your van from being stolen. Contents are stolen from every type of vehicle everyday.

The point of an alarm/kill switch - is to minimize the likely hood of theft of the vehicle. Alarms are meant to attract attention when a door is opened. Its something you would hear if your van is parked in your driveway. Some alarms page you letting you know a door has been opened. Glass break sensors let you know if glass has been broken even if the door isn't opened.
Kill switches will prevent some starting the vehicle even if they had a copy of the key....

This alone prevents MOST thefts.
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I have a ScorpionTrack/DataTrack s5+ installed. Unless I tell it otherwise, it will notify me and ScorpionTrack if my van is moved or if horizontal/vertical movement is noticed. At that point, ScorpionTrack will liaise with police here in the UK to continuously track the vehicle until police have found it.

That's a worst case scenario. If someone is intent on starting the van and they've smashed a window to get in, they need one of two fobs that I have to enable the ignition on the ScorpionTrack.

Hopefully they will have seen the big, orange, wheel lock that they'll have to get off first which is on the drivers front wheel. They literally have to step over it to get into the drivers seat.

Oh and there's also a steering wheel lock. You know, just in case.
zig553
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone tried one of Apples Airtags yet?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Schnippzle-- You must live in a really dangerous area in London. If you moved to the Lake District, maybe you could do with less anxiety about your beloved vehicle getting violated. Sounds like you have a chastity belt for your T3.

Luckily, I live in an area where I don't ever need to even remove the key form the ignition nor lock the car.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Cross referencing this other topic here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568723&highlight=gps

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

zig553 wrote:
Has anyone tried one of Apples Airtags yet?

It's been discussed before. I haven't tested it, but reading the fine print indicates that if an Iphone comes near an Airtag, the Airtag will send a notification to the phone (to avoid people being tracked without their knowledge). So in this case, my Iphone-owning thief will get a notification that there is an Apple Airtag somewhere in the vehicle.
Like I said, that's the theory, not sure how it plays in real life.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

It is pretty difficult to deter a skilled thief. Getting into any vehicle is a piece of cake using a spring-loaded center punch on the rear or side windows. So keep any valuables elsewhere. A kill switch can be useful to prevent an immediate drive off. Tracking devices with GPS may be useful, but many require a monthly/annual subscription.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

I’m not sure many of the GPS tracker folks have really thought through what to do when you see the track headed for Watts

Please don’t contaminate this thread with how many guns you have and other clubs with small members hip.
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Schnippzle-- You must live in a really dangerous area in London. If you moved to the Lake District, maybe you could do with less anxiety about your beloved vehicle getting violated. Sounds like you have a chastity belt for your T3.

Luckily, I live in an area where I don't ever need to even remove the key form the ignition nor lock the car.

I'd love to live in the Lakes, but work is what it is. My BMW M140i was stolen within six months of moving to London and within the same time period after I'd bought the E63S it had been broken into three times. Profile (Me) targeting and key cloning whilst I've been out and about (keys are kept in RFID pockets at all times as soon as I lock the car at home and away). Thankfully since those three incidents I now have multiple steel bollards which retract into the floor when I need to get her out.

It's not a dangerous part of London. It's just London.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

"I now have multiple steel bollards which retract into the floor when I need to get her out."

That is the most serious vehicular chastity belt known to man and or woman.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

It's way early here and I think my brain is not fully awake, could you please expand on the "multiple steel bollards which retract into the floor"? How does that work and how do they prevent thefts?

DuncanS wrote:
"I now have multiple steel bollards which retract into the floor when I need to get her out."

That is the most serious vehicular chastity belt known to man and or woman.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

It's these: https://bollardsecurity.co.uk/product/d4-telescopic-bollard/

There are four around the vehicle (2 x front, side & back, other side is not necessary). I lower the front two via a key that I have each time I want to take the car out. This has been the most effective deterrent yet.

I realise how mad this sounds, as a requirement to deter people from stealing our vehicles, but post installation of these I have not had any further attempts of theft of the E63S. When I get my van back from the syncro conversion, etc... it'll be going into a space with the same surrounding.

I am appreciative of the fact that I live in a flat with shared front door access. If it wasn't for this, I'm sure that our door would have been kicked down long ago for someone to take the keys from me.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

Dang, rough neighborhood…
Rolling Eyes

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

In Detroit, if you don’t take off quickly , you end up on cinderblocks on the runway.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Security and Theft Prevention Thread Reply with quote

In Detroit, if you don’t take off quickly , you end up on cinderblocks on the runway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: