Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Bus Gland Nut
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

I'm tired of searching with no hits. My 1.8l type 4 Bus needs the crank reshimmed and I'm trying to find a new glad nut. What size is it and where can I buy one? Assuming it's not the same nut used on type 1s.

Thanks!

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

The T4 doesn't use a gland nut. The flywheel attaches with 5 bolts.
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
The T4 doesn't use a gland nut. The flywheel attaches with 5 bolts.

That explains it! So is it okay to reuse the bolts or should they be replaced every time I pull the flywheel?

Thanks!

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

Reuse the bolts. 87 Ft*Lbs.

Make sure you use a new lock plate. In a pinch, the original one can be reused if it is flipped over, but they are generally a one and done deal. New ones are inexpensive. Good insurance.

While the flywheel is off, replace the pilot bearing. Also check to make sure the felt ring is in good shape as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

What he said ^^^
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

Be VERY careful trying to readjust endplay on a used engine. While not very common with a later Bus engine with an aluminum case, the magnesium cases of the Beetle engines gain endplay when the case wears, and the front flywheel bearing moves within the case. This makes the endplay some of the crank to bearing wear, but also the bearing movement within the case. Attempting to take up all the play by shimming the bearing will have the bearing seize on the crank, damaging the crank/case. When you remove your flywheel, check that the front bearing isn’t moving within the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:
I'm tired of searching with no hits. My 1.8l type 4 Bus needs the crank reshimmed and I'm trying to find a new glad nut. What size is it and where can I buy one? Assuming it's not the same nut used on type 1s.

Thanks!

Woah, woah, woah......why are you "reshimming" it? The type 4 case is aluminum is rarely needs a thrust cut and changing shims wouldn't fix it anyway. Was the engine just rebuilt? Are you measuring too much end play all of a sudden?

The only time you should be changing the end play shims is during a rebuild, or if you are changing the flywheel.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Woah, woah, woah......why are you "reshimming" it? The type 4 case is aluminum is rarely needs a thrust cut and changing shims wouldn't fix it anyway. Was the engine just rebuilt? Are you measuring too much end play all of a sudden?

The only time you should be changing the end play shims is during a rebuild, or if you are changing the flywheel.

It's an older rebuild. I'm doing the top end on it now due to a failed #3 exhaust seat. The crank endplay is measuring 0.010" so I want to reshim to bring it to spec. Honestly it could be improperly set from whoever rebuilt it last time but I will check to make sure the bearing isn't moving in the case when I pull the flywheel.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
sallittjob wrote:

Thanks!

^^^What he said^^^

If it's wrong, you would be wise to crack it open and see why it's wrong.

Sure, it could have been built wrong, but wouldn't you want to then know what else was built wrong?

IMHO, just throwing some more shims at it is likely to not end well.

To quote mark tucker:
"Easy there dust commander!"
Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

If the main thrust bearing is moving back & forth or rotates in the case at all reshimming is a waste of time.
If the bearing is nice & tight, shim it accordingly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bus Gland Nut Reply with quote

The common issues that one see's....with slightly excessive crank end play when the case is good and the flanged main bearing is not damaged or loose (which as Roy and Clatter are noting....is pretty rare)....are:

1. If someone has set the end play incorrect in the first place as you hope/suspect.

2. If a former owner either installed shims that have some rust specs or pitting...or if the engine got water in the oil and sat for a while not running and rust developed on the shims and was then driven for a while....those shims will be abrasive at the rust spots, can quickly wear to be "cupped" or wear thin against each other.....creating excessive end play.

3. If the shims were excessively warped or bent when they were put in. First...warped shims can give an endplay reading that is falsely tight. Once they get pounded a bit and flatten out or wear flat....they now have excessive end play.
Or...if its one of the thicker and stiffer shims...a bent shim will wear out the thinner ones its riding against leading to excessive end play.

So as the others have mentioned....time to pull off the flywheel and find out what you have. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: