Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi gtv-2 heads
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
GTVs were available before DRD was purchased. The Stage 3s are the same head as BugPack's old Shaun McCarthay signature head. I believe they're all rebranded BugPack heads.

Hmm. Maybe on another casting. This casting of Empi heads havent been around that long, maybe 5 years. I had a set of DRD L7´s in my hands back in summer´15 I think it was. Came off after putting this 200 hp engine, built as a kit from that vendor, to the test on the rolls and only revealing shy of 180 hp and way too little torque. I have forgotten exactly how the port looked like and I apparently did not take a picture. But my gutt felling says something close to what is sold as L7 through Empi now. I may be wrong though, it has been a while.
The L5 - 7 series are really not that good. If they would pick up the glove and redo the obvius flaws in the ports they could soon make a significantly better product.
A guy over here recently went from a set of L5s to a modified L5 by me. He says that the engine behaves almost like night and day difference. (He -did- change the exhaust to a better model at the same time, so the iumprovement is not just the heads) But untuned his simple Iphone pocket dyno shows a 13 hp improvement. It will be put to the test soon. Then we will see how much and where the real improvement is. My guess is + 20 hp and 20 NM across the board. Time will tell if I´m right.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doghouserepair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

I had to have my gtv-2 heads rebuilt at 500 miles in our 1915 engine with only 8:1 CR.
The #1 exh valve seat dropped.
I had Brothers Machine in Cali rebuild them.
Empi offered to repair them on warranty (I am an Empi dealer) - I said no thanks.
I no longer sell any Empi heads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

If its shit new..its shit rebuilt!! Like Lowes Kobalt tools..I have broken every Kobalt tool I purchased from them...They will replace it,,,but why?It cannot hold up to the job at hand.These heads seem to be the same deal...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
If its shit new..its shit rebuilt!! Like Lowes Kobalt tools..I have broken every Kobalt tool I purchased from them...They will replace it,,,but why?It cannot hold up to the job at hand.These heads seem to be the same deal...

I switched to Kobalts when the quality of the Craftsman went to crap. I got tired of mashing my knuckles when the Craftsman ratchets would break. The only Kobalt I've ever damaged was a 3/8 ratchet when I elected to use a HUGE breaker pipe on it. It still works though. The selector was a bit sticky after that. I've never outright broke a Kobalt ratchet or socket, ever. Hopefully the quality hasn't declined as well.. I haven't had to buy any new ones for years.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

Well get ready for this my friend they're discontinuing Cobalt if you like it go on in there it's half off and they're picking up guess what Craftsman that's right Lowe's is going to carry Craftsman
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
Well get ready for this my friend they're discontinuing Cobalt if you like it go on in there it's half off and they're picking up guess what Craftsman that's right Lowe's is going to carry Craftsman

Well crap. I'll stop in there and see what they have on clearance. Like I said, I've had good luck with Kobalt.. New Craftsman, not so much.

Edit: so after a 5 minute search, I see that Kobalt (like Craftsman) has been moved to overseas production. Maybe that's why I've had good luck with mine, as I think I bought mine when they were USA made still.

I wonder if Lowe's will bring production back to the USA when they relaunch Craftsman..

Anyway, sorry for the hijack
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

No hijack just usual Samba off-topic nonsense maybe like the heads people will start realizing that there is good stuff made in the United States you just got to pay more for it
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

doghouserepair wrote:
I had to have my gtv-2 heads rebuilt at 500 miles in our 1915 engine with only 8:1 CR.
Empi offered to repair them on warranty (I am an Empi dealer) - I said no thanks.

Yikes! Are you still running them?
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

doghouserepair wrote:

That sucks to hear.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

Anyone else tried these yet?
Looking for for Real World results, not just speculation.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
Anyone else tried these yet?
Looking for for Real World results, not just speculation.

Stage 1, w110, chromoly pushrods, solid rocker shafts for over a year and no issues. Around 8:1 compression.
Aphx02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

Still debating off the shelf, which is ran on CNC (equates to consistency) or finding Fred Simpson for a stage 3 port and polish. Rebuilding my little guy, 1641, but looking into possibly a stroker, 1906 Smile.
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

Anyone have any updates to this topic? Last post was from 2019, and I'm hoping there are more people with real life experiences with these heads.

Valves?
Seats?

Etc...
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

The CNC versions are still the same. The raw castings have improved a little and are actually not that bad. But they still need to be taken apart and at the very least have a proper valve job done to them.
pcjarv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

I had them in my 2110 with FK8 cam. Dropped a exhaust valve seat on #4 cylinder. pulled them both and when inspecting #1 exhaust seat was about to drop as well. They only had about 800 miles on them. so basically the same valve seat on both heads dropped. I have not had them fixed yet and not sure I want to invest any more money in them. I did pick up a used pair of Mofoco 42 and no problems at all with them. I would stay away from them myself.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Empi gtv-2 heads Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
I bought a pair of their cnc ported Heads and manifolds . They look nice. I wish the chambers weren’t quite so big. I’ll have to get them flycut to get the CR where I need it to be. I intend on running them on my Endurance Racecar. It’s been a true testing ground for parts that see continuous abuse .

How did those heads work out ??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: