Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 vw beetle won't start
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deez 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: 1968 vw beetle won't start Reply with quote

I was driving my 68 home and it just died. I can not get it to start for nothing. I'm getting fuel but I feel like no spark. I put on a new cap, points and coil. Card is about 2 months old. Not sure where to go from here.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle won't start Reply with quote

Follow Speedy Jim’s troubleshooting steps. Follow all the steps to isolate where the problem is. Don’t assume anything, jut follow all the steps.

http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Deez 68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle won't start Reply with quote

Thank you I will definitely follow this and see what I come up with
joaniebo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle won't start Reply with quote

I had the same problem last year with my 68 Beetle. Couldn't figure out why the car was dead even though I had power and the battery was good.

Started looking at the wiper, headlight switches, etc. and saw that one of the connections (I forget which switch) had slipped off. Reconnected the wire and then car started immediately.

Bob
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle won't start Reply with quote

If you determine your problem is no power to the ignition coil, trace the power from source (battery) to coil and find where the break is.

Start from battery. Note voltage losses as you progress to each junction. Check for 12.6v at the positive battery table.
    Follow the red wire to the VR B+ terminal. Test for voltage here.
    Next stop is the #30 terminal on the headlight switch.
    Next is the thick red wire on the ignition switch. You can see it by lying on you back and looking up at the bottom of the steering column housing.
    With the ignition in the ON/RUN position test the #15 black wire at the ignition switch.
    Follow the black wire to the fuse box and test the voltage here.
    On the same side of the fuse box find the black #15 wire that runs from the fuse box in the main harness to the rear of the car.
    The final stop is the black wire connected to the ignition coil #15 (+) terminal.

Ideally, the voltage measured at the ignition coil should be within 0.5v of the battery terminal, but with 40yr old wiring, the built up resistance may results in greater voltage loss by the time the current make it to the coil. If the voltage that makes it to the ignition coil is below 11.0v you start to run into problems with insufficient current to fire the coil.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: