Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

empi 36mm d series dual carbs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
5x205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

Thinking about trying these out on a healthy 1600dp in rail buggy.I have been looking at the 36 d series and also the 40 hpmx carbs but haven't ruled out a set of old school kads either.The d series are really calling to me but want to hear from some that have real world experience with these or the others I've mentioned.Currently running a single 34 -3 pict and 009 dizzy that behaves real well and pulls great even with 31-10.50's out back.Just got the itch for some dual carbs yall know how it is Very Happy !!!
5x205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

Forgot pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

For that car. Buy some eBay Chinese 40 IDF's. They are easy to jet in a rail.
CB intake, filters, and cross bar.

I have an early set of 45 D Series carbs. They are now door stops. But I have heard that the 36's have been sorted.
The D's just would not tune at all!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

I talked to Jack at the Empi open house and he told me that they are working on fixing the D-Series carbs.
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

Does that mean we can send our carbs in to be fixed, or future carbs will be okay?
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

Ellis' Bug wrote:
Does that mean we can send our carbs in to be fixed, or future carbs will be okay?

Not likely Ells'.
It sux. We bought the first gen carbs and are now stuck with them.
I tried to get Appletree to take mine back last year. Two emails, and radio silence.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
5x205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

Wow didn't realize there where so many different IDF Chinese knockoffs available.Ive seen them from $80 to $300 dollars,Got any suggestions for brand/vendor to look for or would I be safer to just go with the empi's?Is the linkage and air filters that come in the empi kits any count? Appreciate all the responses.....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

5x205 wrote:
Wow didn't realize there where so many different IDF Chinese knockoffs available.Ive seen them from $80 to $300 dollars,Got any suggestions for brand/vendor to look for or would I be safer to just go with the empi's?Is the linkage and air filters that come in the empi kits any count? Appreciate all the responses.....

Search for "SherryBerg"

You can order the carbs jetted to your liking.
You'll pay a little more than the cheapies. But not much more!

5x205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

Search for "SherryBerg"

Thanks for heads up will check them out...
5x205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

ok found a set of the "sherryberg" fajs"hpmx" carbs with---
1.52 idle
.115 main
f11 emulsion tubes
would this be a good place to start or should I change any of this before ordering.....
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

I got the ones that Rome posted. Really nice for the price.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738306

The rough casting carbs in the thread are the Sherryburg versions.

The empi stuff sucks. Get manifolds and air cleaners from CB and cross bar linkage from CSP. If you like the hex bar the CB kit uses a steel bar now so much better than old kits.

5x205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I got the ones that Rome posted. Really nice for the price.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738306

The rough casting carbs in the thread are the Sherryburg versions.

The empi stuff sucks. Get manifolds and air cleaners from CB and cross bar linkage from CSP. If you like the hex bar the CB kit uses a steel bar now so much better than old kits.

Those look nice for the money probably will go with them seeing as how there been a few here that have had good luck out of them plus a little cheaper than the ones I was looking at .Having trouble finding a manifold,linkage air cleaner kit that I want,cb is out of stock but havnt looked at csp yet.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

5x205 wrote:
ok found a set of the "sherryberg" fajs"hpmx" carbs with---
1.52 idle
.115 main
f11 emulsion tubes
would this be a good place to start or should I change any of this before ordering.....

52-55 idle
120-122-125 mains
F11 emulsion tubes
180 Air corrector jets

If it is a completely stock engine. Go with the smaller jets I posted above. That should get you in the ball park. Idle and main.
But be prepared to buy a selection of jets to get the carbs tuned well after purchase. Every engine has it's own special needs. My recommendation is a ball park guess.

Read at least the first 5-10 pages of this thread. Tat's where the Gold can be found! If you're bored read the thread all the way through. I have read it through at least twice. It takes day's to get through it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293837
Read it even if you don't have a wideband. It will help you understand what it takes to get the carbs jetted and adjusted properly.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

A couple of other things to remember.

Any new to you carb needs to be cleaned. That means disassembling them and cleaning all the fuel passages inside. Just pull all the jets/jet stacks, accelerator pump cover and clean.
Below is a link to a diagram of a Weber IDF car. You don't have to take them apart that far. Click the tab that says "IDF Carb Diagram."
https://www.dellorto.co.uk/product-category/weber-...idf-parts/

You will need to set the float levels also. The carbs have been roughly handles during shipping. So things need to be checked before installing them and expecting them to run correctly.

5x205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

Lot of god reading in those links you posted ,heck Im kinda getting excited about this little project....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: empi 36mm d series dual carbs Reply with quote

5x205 wrote:
Lot of god reading in those links you posted ,heck Im kinda getting excited about this little project....

Here's a few more links that have good information. Never mind the OP. He was completely clueless! Shocked Embarassed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667351&highlight=
Then got a little smarter. Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667351&highlight=
And then I learned dual carb tuning.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668086&highlight=
Pay attention to the responders. All those guy's are very sharp on getting duals installed, sync'd and tuned.

Happy reading!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: