Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Holy mackeral Aiden I just looked thru your beetle thread. WOW! you are one impressive kid! I'd gladly pay you $25+ an hour to work on my cars!!
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I'd like my lowback Type 3 1966 seats to look like this pic.
Is that leather perhaps? Custom or ??
It reminds me of Porsche seats with the perforations, or our headliners!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Holy mackeral Aiden I just looked thru your beetle thread. WOW! you are one impressive kid! I'd gladly pay you $25+ an hour to work on my cars!!

Thank you! I would be up for that! If you have enough work, I’d be happy to come down for a week and help you out if I have one off from school or during the summer!

Good work on finding the wheel, it will be perfect for it
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

I have to agree with Dan, the bug came out looking great. Nice job on it. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I have to agree with Dan, the bug came out looking great. Nice job on it. Cool

Thank you!

Dan, I was just thinking. Was that computer you gave me out of your 69 Squareback? If it was, that computer was bad and I almost wonder if that’s why it had a “blown” engine because that computer caused the engine and car to run on 3 cylinders violently shaking it and I could how someone could take that as engine issues or if the computer caused the engine to blow Think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Hi Aiden.. It would be hard to say about the computer failure, but it is interesting to think about the mechanics, before they were technicians, trying to figure out the new stuff when all they've ever seen is carbs. Sorry if it was bad, I had no way to test it!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Hi Aiden.. It would be hard to say about the computer failure, but it is interesting to think about the mechanics, before they were technicians, trying to figure out the new stuff when all they've ever seen is carbs. Sorry if it was bad, I had no way to test it!

I was thinking something along those lines and it just suddenly happened they may have though it was mechanical. They may of not been able to diagnose it was the FI issue. It would be interesting to know. That’s fine! I was able to get some electronic components out of the computer so it worked out!
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Hi guys, update time. I've got an engine I'm tearing down, it has been sitting and I have been soaking it, I finally went medieval on it and cut the head studs. I made a lot of progress until I got to the torque converter. I got the engine rotating, removed the 3 bolts from the flex plate but yet the converter stays in place. I've heard these are kind of rare so I don't want to beat it too bad, but why won't it come off? Am I missing something?

rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

There is an alignment stub on the back of the torque converter that fits into the gland nut. If this engine was outside that is probably rusted together. Spray a bunch of penetrating oil & let it drain down. I think the only way is to use 2 screwdrivers opposite of each other to pry between the flex plate & torque converter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
There is an alignment stub on the back of the torque converter that fits into the gland nut. If this engine was outside that is probably rusted together. Spray a bunch of penetrating oil & let it drain down. I think the only way is to use 2 screwdrivers opposite of each other to pry between the flex plate & torque converter.

Most of those "nubs" fit into the gland nut pretty tight (very snug). Just keep that in mind when you try to separate them. Also, the gland nut doesn't have any bearings in it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: