Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O Ghia's Restoration Journey
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

I didn’t know you had a Karmann Ghia!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
I didn’t know you had a Karmann Ghia!

Well, long story!! Where should I start.
LOL

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

What a great feeling you must have Marc! Did you have the "Air Cooled Volkswagen driving smiley face" look going from ear to ear?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mxl556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Very happy to see you driving it, congratulations on getting it going!!! It looks fantastic!

Max
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

obus wrote:
What a great feeling you must have Marc! Did you have the "Air Cooled Volkswagen driving smiley face" look going from ear to ear?

Thanks you Obus. Yes, how did you Know! Wink

mxl556 wrote:
Very happy to see you driving it, congratulations on getting it going!!! It looks fantastic!

Max

Thanks Max. Even though we only stayed close to home, we actually caused a traffic slow down while waiting to turn onto the main road as several people did a double take while passing by. But I'm sure your used to that! It's so rare to see a Karmann Ghia in these areas.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
WHOHOOOOO!!! Congratulations Marc! Well worth the journey, right?

Thank you Diane,
Yes, well worth it for sure. The journey is far from over though. Lots more fun to come. Very Happy I really enjoyed the drive and can't wait for the next one. Maybe tomorrow! Dancing

That's okay - we are enjoying every bit of it. And to be honest (and I think everyone here will agree) when you own an old car the journey is never really over, lol. O is looking great - Can't wait to see her with her rear bumper back on. I hope you got out today - don't know what it's like in VT but it is spectacular down here in CT. Right, Trylon?
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
WHOHOOOOO!!! Congratulations Marc! Well worth the journey, right?

Thank you Diane,
Yes, well worth it for sure. The journey is far from over though. Lots more fun to come. Very Happy I really enjoyed the drive and can't wait for the next one. Maybe tomorrow! Dancing

That's okay - we are enjoying every bit of it. And to be honest (and I think everyone here will agree) when you own an old car the journey is never really over, lol. O is looking great - Can't wait to see her with her rear bumper back on. I hope you got out today - don't know what it's like in VT but it is spectacular down here in CT. Right, Trylon?

It's a beautiful day here as well. We had 42 degrees this morning but it's 73 now and hardly a cloud in the sky. I may take the car for a ride later, after work. Hope I don't run into any cops. LOL

At this point, I want to get the car useable by spring. Which means pass state inspection. That's not going to be too difficult. Biggest job will be get the windows, mirrors and door handles on. Then the interior can get done as time permits. That will be fun projects. No hurry.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Looking great Marc! Keep driving it around the neighborhood rebel! Trust me if the cops stop and ask why you don't have tags or inspection sticker, they will probably be too busy checking out the Ghia more than worried about the other stuff, especially if you tell them you've just rebuilt it and trying to get the engine tuned, hopefully they're friendly in your area.

Keep rolling and posting street shots!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Looking great Marc! Keep driving it around the neighborhood rebel! Trust me if the cops stop and ask why you don't have tags or inspection sticker, they will probably be too busy checking out the Ghia more than worried about the other stuff, especially if you tell them you've just rebuilt it and trying to get the engine tuned, hopefully they're friendly in your area.

Keep rolling and posting street shots!
Jeff

Thank you Jeff.
I have my plates. The car is registered. Thats the easy part. If you have the money, they'll take it. State inspection is another mater thought. I agree with you, I don't think the cops will give much trouble. I'm sure it would be a fun conversation.
I took it out for another ride tonight for what I thought would be a sunset shot but I was about 5 minutes too late. Still got some nice pictures though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
That first drive with the wife is always special, Marc... we had a terrible gasoline smell in the car after every left turn.

Turns out that... there was gas overflow into the wheel well.

What caused the gas overflow into the wheel well?

There is an overflow pipe in the fuel system in the R wheel arch. On every left turn either gas or fumes spilled from that pipe. I cured the problem by fitting the fuel-safe hose and running it down behind the splash guard to spill the gas/fumes UNDER the car behind the wheel.

Problem solved. By the way, you can't block that overflow pipe because it allows air to be sucked into the gas tank as the tank empties; otherwise the fuel pump creates a vacuum and eventually can't suck the gas out to feed the carbs.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
That first drive with the wife is always special, Marc... we had a terrible gasoline smell in the car after every left turn.

Turns out that... there was gas overflow into the wheel well.

What caused the gas overflow into the wheel well?

There is an overflow pipe in the fuel system in the R wheel arch. On every left turn either gas or fumes spilled from that pipe. I cured the problem by fitting the fuel-safe hose and running it down behind the splash guard to spill the gas/fumes UNDER the car behind the wheel.

Problem solved. By the way, you can't block that overflow pipe because it allows air to be sucked into the gas tank as the tank empties; otherwise the fuel pump creates a vacuum and eventually can't suck the gas out to feed the carbs.

Maybe I'm confused, but it looks to me like the tube you installed is attached to the drain for the recessed area under the fuel filler door. I thought that was to drain off water that comes in around the fuel door? There are other vents tubes connected to the large pipe that goes to the tank though. On my 71, there's a vent at the front left side of the tank that gets routed down under the car near the spare tire but I'm not sure what years that applies to.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Same thoughts here. Water drainage from the gas cap body recess. My guess is if you have fuel coming from there, fuel is making its way past the gas cap.

Maybe the missing hoses on the black filler pipe in your picture are causing the fuel spill/smell?

I sure wish mine was that clean under there. Holy cow.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
Same thoughts here. Water drainage from the gas cap body recess. My guess is if you have fuel coming from there, fuel is making its way past the gas cap.

Maybe the missing hoses on the black filler pipe in your picture are causing the fuel spill/smell?

I sure wish mine was that clean under there. Holy cow.

Marc, Overboost, I apologise for the confusion I've created. I think the confusion is due to the fact that there are differences in the design for different model-years and markets. My Ghia is ex-Japan. It has the 2" gas tube and a smaller, 1/2 inch overflow/vent tube. The vent tube is the one I extended as shown in the photo and thus cured my gas overflow smell problem. It spewed gas onto the splash guard and stained it, so the evidence was clear.

The small black tube is the water drain from the well under the gas filler cap.

Ian from Australia has already indicated that his Ghia has a different venting system, and I've seen here that California Ghias have a venting system with a canister in the engine compartment.

I'm really sorry for all this confusion.

Chris M
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Hey Chris,
No problem. It's good to learn different variations on these cars. No matter how much I read and see, there's constantly new stuff to learn. Very Happy

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Yes, please excuse my lack of knowledge. I have been out of the KG scene for over 30 years. I was just in my fuel system replacing the tank, fill hose, vent hoses and assumed the tanks all vented the same. Here is how 69 US market tank system vents.

Sorry again for my lack of knowledge and lack of pristine undercarriage like @kiwighia68. Man yours is so nice!

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

In early March I bought a correct Oil Bath Air Cleaner and spent hours cleaning and doing a bit of touch up on it and then stored it away. I had not done anything to the original rubber tube going to the carb yet. I spent several hours removing caked on grime and was left with a hazy layer of oily sediment that took several hours to remove. With lots of scrubbing it came out looking like new. The oily grime probably saved the rubber tube as there isn't a crack on it anywhere.

Before:

After:

I finally installed a tube from the underside of the throat to the engine tin as well as a tube going from the Oil filler to the air cleaner.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Oh yeah, now you are Ghia-ing!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Oh yeah, now you are Ghia-ing!

I think I'm procrastinating? I need to get door windows back in and adjusted and I think I'm unconsciously avoiding it!!
Seems like a big job with lots of opportunity for problems!! I need to be in the right frame of mind to tackle those!
Mostly wondering how I'm going to get them back in without scratching the paint on the inside top of the door?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Mostly wondering how I'm going to get them back in without scratching the paint on the inside top of the door?

Don't worry, every scratch adds character. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have learned that it all is just one big learning experience— gotta take the lumps of coal with the sugar.
The good news is after you done it a few times, you will get it right the next!

Or you can hire Dwayne.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 47

Jump to: