Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
www.crownperformance.com can make any stainless brake hose you want with different end without having to use adapter fittings.
They have different types of banjo hose ends as well as others.
And you can get in different color hose coverings and they are DOT approved.
Crown Performance Products
2440 La Miranda Dr
Vista, CA 92081
760-599-0090

Thanks jtb. I got what I need from JEGS. Should be here later this week & out of state vendor = NO TAX! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Seats ordered from PRP. 5 Weeks! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is the prettiest installation of those rear disc brakes I've seen! Just watch the new flex hose length to insure it doesn't hit the shock as the suspension moves and you have a winner.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

That is the prettiest installation of those rear disc brakes I've seen! Just watch the new flex hose length to insure it doesn't hit the shock as the suspension moves and you have a winner.

Thank you, Sir! Very Happy
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

So as I attempt to keep my progress updated for posterity, Rolling Eyes my weekend was tied up with work on Saturday Evil or Very Mad and domestic chores on Sunday. Evil or Very Mad I had very little time to tinker in the garage.

As my buggy came to me, it was a "project" & not a complete car. I have sent the transaxle out for rebuild & mounted it using CB Rhino mounts. Cool. Cool
My Wife wanted a shifter she saw at Bugformance. Cool Cool
Also a CB Rhino box type shift coupling. Cool Cool
When the time comes to connect my HMI through the shifter, PO provided shift rod, CB shift coupling to newly rebuilt transaxle, I find my PO provided shift rod is too short. Not cool. Embarassed
No worries, CB is also happy to provide me with an adjustable coupling. Cool Cool
Cut to usable length, weld and reinstall... Easy peasey.

For the life of me, I can't find the happy spot where all forward gears AND reverse can be engaged. I have the reverse lock-out plate on with the tabs facing up & the small one on the driver's side. I also have options of shifters & lock-out plates from which to choose. One style has the ends curled up for "easy" alignment, and the other has flat plates, for more difficult alignment.

Does the CB box coupling need to be "shimmed" to remove the slop between the shift rod & the box?

I also purchased an "early" shift rod that has the slot cut in the front of the cup. I am tempted to start from scratch with this one and eliminate the adjuster on the end of my current set up. It's just one less moving part.

TLDR version:
Help me adjust my shifter please.

ETA: As I was typing this rant out, I got the notice that the balance of my rear brake parts were out for delivery today. Cool! Cool

Be safe everybody!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:

For the life of me, I can't find the happy spot where all forward gears AND reverse can be engaged. I have the reverse lock-out plate on with the tabs facing up & the small one on the driver's side. I also have options of shifters & lock-out plates from which to choose. One style has the ends curled up for "easy" alignment, and the other has flat plates, for more difficult alignment.

Does the CB box coupling need to be "shimmed" to remove the slop between the shift rod & the box?

I am tempted to start from scratch with this one and eliminate the adjuster on the end of my current set up. It's just one less moving part.

Adjuster on end of shift rod is your friend..... If you make a bit of mistake with length or angle when shortening a shift rod, the adjuster is only way to easily fix it....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Dale and I are of opposite mind on the shift rod adjuster. I am a fan of a scribed line to prevent a clocking error and then shortening the same length as the chassis.

I don't like the late model style shift rod coupler. I much prefer the early design, so I am a fan of the older shift rod. You won't need the slot in the shift rod cup unless you want to use a stock shifter, but I've had better luck with the old type couplers at the back. Just remember, VW moved the shifter on the floor so the amount you shorten an old shift rod will not be the same amount as the frame is shortened. I guess you just line up the cup centered in the length of the shifter opening in the frame. Shorten that amount and be sure to keep the scribed line carefully lined up before welding.

There is more than one successful way to do anything on a buggy! Confused
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

I am tempted to start from scratch with this one and eliminate the adjuster on the end of my current set up. It's just one less moving part.

Adjuster on end of shift rod is your friend..... If you make a bit of mistake with length or angle when shortening a shift rod, the adjuster is only way to easily fix it....

EVfun wrote:
Dale and I are of opposite mind on the shift rod adjuster. I am a fan of a scribed line to prevent a clocking error and then shortening the same length as the chassis.

I don't like the late model style shift rod coupler. I much prefer the early design, so I am a fan of the older shift rod. You won't need the slot in the shift rod cup unless you want to use a stock shifter, but I've had better luck with the old type couplers at the back. Just remember, VW moved the shifter on the floor so the amount you shorten an old shift rod will not be the same amount as the frame is shortened. I guess you just line up the cup centered in the length of the shifter opening in the frame. Shorten that amount and be sure to keep the scribed line carefully lined up before welding.

There is more than one successful way to do anything on a buggy! Confused

Well, there ya are Sambanistas! We have a 50/50 split on preference for doing up shifter shafts & such.

I like the idea of EVfun to accurately scribe the shaft & put the scribe lines back into alignment before welding to assure you get OEM orientation with a shortened shaft.

I also like Dale's idea of using the overall length from C/L of the shifter mounting hole to the grub screw on the hockey stick... so that's probably how I'll proceed this weekend... er... Sunday as LTC :2gunfire:
renewal training on Saturday
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

I have to agree with EV Fun though on using early model donut coupler...

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

What works for me is to put the shifter in the center of it's throw and the trans in neutral. Use the adjuster to get everything lined up.
Once that is done I put the trans in reverse and then put the shifter in reverse.
Hold the shifter in the reverse position and tighten the adjuster nut.

Once done with that check that the throw is even forward and back.

I have done it that way since 2004 and I have a great shifting trans and buggy.

I do have an Empi-Hurst copy but it works very good.

I use the CB Rhino coupler and I did press a hydraulic cap on the end of the coupler to give the cross bolt a little more meat.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

^^ Thanks clonebug. I will have to try that method this weekend before I R&R the shift rod again.

I did receive the last batch of brake line parts from Jegs yesterday allowing me to put the rear brakes to bed again. FYI the banjo bolts come in a couple of different lengths. Obviously choose a double or a single, but I found I needed a "short" single so that it didn't bottom on the flare portion of the caliper

I also had another look at the shifter & rod relative to the car...
If you look closely, you can see where the shifter rod has previously banged the tunnel leaving an impression. I'm in the right neighborhood relative to length.

But when I roll the coupling in the back, I might have the angle askew.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Shifter solved by cutting, indexing & welding another shift rod to the correct length. Seems getting the orientation correct is important... Confused

Notice from Fedex that my seats were to be delivered on Sunday? Rolling Eyes
Seems weird, but, whatever... I have to get the body down & make ready to offer the seats to the pan! Thanks again Christopher for helping get the body back down from the rafters. Much appreciated, son.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Fedex blew it and will, no doubt, continue to blow. No seats were delivered even after getting the On the truck for delivery notification!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Embarassed

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Fedex blew it and will, no doubt, continue to blow. No seats were delivered even after getting the On the truck for delivery notification!!!!!! :evil: :oops:

FEXEC is having problems, I have a few deliveries not happening like web site says....

Two issues maybe driver has to much and can not finish all deliveries on route and may come next day...OR... Computer and tracking system has not a clue where the physical package is....

Waiting for delivery today and there is no data on movement of package other than it was picked up on Wednesday last week and promised today.... We will see...

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

So it seems I might owe Fedex an apology Embarassed

Seats and sliders showed up yesterday afternoon.

So one more time again, we're waiting for the credit card to cool off before ordering steering column, wheel etc. Then off to the fabricator's for a cage.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Nice seats. I will have to look into those when my build is done and needing new seats.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Weekend update 10/25/21

Steering components arrived & mocked up

And it's gonna be a snug fit!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

My 1st buggy (early 1970s) steering position was like that. Arms would get tired on long trips, so I used to hold the wheel with my knees ! Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

On my buggy with the stock steering column, I cut 1 1/2" off both the column and the shaft, to give more room. It does bring the knuckles closer to the dash and windshield.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

I appreciate the input fellas, but I'm just a 3X kinda guy. 6'3" tall and short for my weight. The wheel is as close to the dash as I dare get it. I'm gonne go like this for now. If it becomes impossible, a smaller wheel is in my future.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: