Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

Hi all-
Had some shifting issues around 40mph ever since we did the timing chain job. Hubby put in a new Sonnax Valve Body about 2 months ago. Shifted like butter! Absolutely amazing, has never shifted so well.

Then on a 10 min test drive to be sure all was well after a driveway run, CEL came on. Code is a Torque Converter Clutch lock up code. Baffled. I can't remember what all hubby did then I think he went through the tedious procedure of using the OBD to monitor trans fluid temp and then check it wasn't running too much or too little fluid. IIRC, he added maybe a TITCH more fluid during that process but not much. There are not a spec of metal shavings in the tranny filter when cut open. Very clean and no metal in the pan.

Decided to just keep driving it as we felt no actual symptoms and b/c summer busy-ness was upon us. As an aside and as you'll see possibly related, hubby suspects that another job we've been needing to do on this thing is to replace the lifters (camshaft? sorry I have a cold and heads a bit fuzzy) We mistakenly didn't do that when doing timing chains 2 years ago.

Anyway about a month after the light came on hubby said he felt like he could tell subtle change in shifting that he figured probably was the torque converter.

Possibly related to the lifters, during extreme heat here 2 weeks ago ferrying my visiting inlaws around van did NOT want to restart to the point that at the gas station I was hesitant to shut it off. Key had to be held forward maybe 10 seconds before engine would turn over. Same symptoms then that I've read from others on here- strong gas smell and van not wanting to idle without gas pedal applied a bit until thats burnt off.

Mileage JUST rolled over to 200k.

Hubby talked to gal at German Transaxle who said they have a wait time out til Dec of this year to replace AT tranny as they very sadly lost an electronics tech due to Covid this past spring. Also he related that they have no cores available either IIRC. She told hubby that the code # and descript he gave is what they call the "Code of death". I expected that since of course no decent tranny shop is going to advise you to keep driving with a code like that.

He also talked to the outfit who does have a 5 speed manual swap kit for these, can't remember the name right now is it Tygen or something? But he didn't have availability right now.

Looking here: http://kansascitytdi.com/eurovan-rialta-5-speed-conversion/
It doesn't look like this is possible anymore.

What to do? Any similar experiences out there or advice?
Its so odd that this code showed up SUDDENLY after a new valve body was put in and we had not CEL on previously. Had changed the VB out only because hubby sussed out that that maybe was the problem.

Last edited by kuops on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 EV Torque Converter Clutch lockup code Reply with quote

Update:

Sonnax asked us to send the valve body back as they suspect the one we bought and have installed is defective. Some delay there due to a backorder on their end. While waiting for that to resolve, the knocking noise in the van got increasingly louder on the way home one day last week. Tried to limp it home but had to slow at a light and she gave up then and there. Won't turn over and we towed home. Hubby thinks threw a connecting rod bearing or main bearing but we aren't sure. No engine oil everywhere or smokey exhaust etc at the time of failure.

Point: Depending on what inspection of the engine shows, my question is what would you all do? I've put an inquiry in to Hillside Imports here in Portland who come highly recommended, to see if they could or would rebuild or replace engine. I know its difficult to find a shop willing to do that with these anymore. The problem with this decision is that we really don't know about the tranny either since the Sonnax valve body replacement never did make it in time before all this went down, so we could rule out whether thats an additional problem or if the new valve body would have fixed that shifting issue. Tranny filter was cut open when we initially did the valve body replace and no debris in there, very clean and never any debris in the tranny pan either. So?????

Cons that we see:
Its harder and harder to find parts availability for these things, I'd say thats the main downside for us wanting to keep it even if the engine is rebuildable. With 3 kids and one on the way there's not a lot of time for chasing around for parts. At 201k miles at this time.

Pros: THERES NO VAN IN THE NORTH AMERICAN MARKET THAT COMPARES. HANDS DOWN.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

Used engine route. That excellent VR6 is used in several models so you can find a shortbblock and move the T4 stuff over. It’s stupid work so can be done at home. Carve out a block each week, keep it to 3-4+hours until it’s done
specialev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

These guys might have conversion kits for the 5 speed.

http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/
mstroob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

There is a gentleman who is also in Vancouver that does TDI/5 Spped swaps for Eurovans. As such, he might be have a V6 and/or automatic that might work for you. As he is local, it may be worth a try. His email is Eurovan35MPG at gmail dot com.

Mike
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

Backing off used engine advice. You don’t know how it failed yet.

Find out why it stopped , compression test. Get it running , oil pressure test.
kuops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

As always, thanks for all the tips here! Much appreciated. Will be chasing down those possibilities now that I found a trusty 03 Subaru forester to drive meantime (manual shift of course Cool Its going to be much more difficult in near future to do the work ourselves... so that's not really an option. Hillside Imports reco'd Halsey, so will see what Tom has to say if he's got any good used engines and if they'd be interested in doing the work. Will check with the local vancouver connection also. Thx again all, will update accordingly
kuops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

Hey all. So the Vancouver TDI swap guy did have an engine available as of three weeks ago it was still in its original hulk and running and he offered we could come listen to it. After talking to local Portland contacts however, hubby decided we just don't have the time to deal with any of it right now. And Hillside Imports wasn't interested in doing the work to rebuild, neither was Halsey with as many miles as its got. That being said, at the time I talked to both of them a month ago we hadn't had chance to do any diagnosing on engine so I couldn't say to either of them whether it was fully seized or what. As of last night 11/9 finally had chance to check that out and were successfully able to turn engine over by hand. Very Happy engine also partially cranked by key until it made a nasty noise like artillary fire, the sound of which confirmed to hubby that he still suspects a connecting rod. Engine has no holes in the block or other catastrophic damage/leaks. Sonnax requested valve body back as it was defective and they refunded core charge as well, as of Nov 4th. Vans been put up for sale as is, as much as I can't stand to sell it, life circumstances right now with expecting a baby have forced our hand.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

Six was my limit with kids. I could only fit eight of us in the Transporter so that was it. Good luck with the new little one,and another T4 will find it’s way to you when ready.
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan-on its way to the grave-advice? Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your troubles - I can relate: My '02 EVC tranny suddenly gave out in June and after 2 months and $16K later, my van is thankfully running well again. I had German transaxle do the tranny rebuild and at the same time I had Peak Euro (also in Bend) do the timing chain. My friends thought I was crazy putting this kind of money into a 20 year-old van - and I have seriously entertained putting that $16K towards a newer camper except like you said:

THERES NO VAN IN THE NORTH AMERICAN MARKET THAT COMPARES. HANDS DOWN.

I couldn't agree more! Meanwhile I can only watch YT videos on all of the amazingly cool campers they have in Europe - and even Japan, and drool over them....Sigh.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: