Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

How difficult is entry into and exit out of a Manx buggy with either a bikini or full soft top...and what's the best bodily contortion method for such maneuvers?

Obviously there's no way to achieve the same convenience level of a daily driver sedan if one's driving a Manx buggy, but surely by now there's been developed some kind of unofficial method simply for ingress and egress.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

I reach in, put my right hand on the back of the passenger seat, fold myself up and basically fall into the drivers seat.

To get out, I put my left hand on the fender behind me, I put my right hand on the driver's seat behind me and slide my butt out on the fender.

I am 6'2" with a bad back. It is not too bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
I reach in, put my right hand on the back of the passenger seat, fold myself up and basically fall into the drivers seat.

To get out, I put my left hand on the fender behind me, I put my right hand on the driver's seat behind me and slide my butt out on the fender.

I am 6'2" with a bad back. It is not too bad.

I do pretty much the same with full roll cage the whole process seems to be having a body that is somewhat flexible and something to grab onto (other than windshield) to have something for leverage.... Biggest issue may be size of steering wheel.... I have a 13 inch wheel and it would seem anything bigger would block ability to get legs wrapped around it and into driving position... Maybe a removable or tilt wheel would help...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

One more reason for me to avoid a top or a roll cage on my street Buggy! I have this issue with my sand rail. Everyone that goes for a rip in it complains about the difficulty of getting in and out.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
... Everyone that goes for a rip in it complains about the difficulty of getting in and out.

Keeps out the riff-raff! Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

True dat! Laughing
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I briefly ran a hardtop on my buggy until I realized how much of a hassle it was to get in and out of it. It looked cool though.
Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

I put my right leg in first, sit on the side of the body, hold on to the steering wheel and let gravity assist and pull in my left leg. Getting out I hold on the steering wheel and push myself up the seat back then left leg out, sit on the side and pull out my right leg. 5ft 10 and 200 lbs, 13 inch steering wheel. Now that I'm 65 I find that my gut is getting in the way though. Embarassed
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

I didn't have to wait for 65 for mine to do that! I was way ahead of you Buddy. Very Happy
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

We have a Bimini top that is easy to put on and take off. I can almost count on one hand how many times we have used it in the 5 years we have had it. It gets used for shade almost more than for wet.

I usually let the Wife get in first then I go in head first and put my hand on her seat....as I lean under the top and bang my head against the rollbar... my wife is swearing that I am pulling her hair that is trapped under my hand. That pulls her head back and I get a nice view of her cleavage....although I'm getting the look of death from her angry eyes......
With my right hand on the seat and my left hand on the steering wheel I swing my right foot into the buggy and slide it under the steering wheel. I then slide my butt down onto the seat and pull my left leg into the buggy and slide it between the buggy side and the left side of the steering wheel and turn signal lever.
It's not real graceful but we don't do it often so it's not like it's a really practiced event.

We would much rather drive without a top and do so unless the sun is roasting us or the rain is coming down and we have to continue driving.

Most times we drive together the weather is really nice and there is little chance of rain. I usually get caught in rain on the way home from work and as long as I do 60 plus mph I can stay drive.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

We constantly get asked if we have a top for our Buggy.

The answer is "No, if I wanted a roof I would take the Jetta."

Next is always "Well what if it rains?"

To which I reply "What do the bikers do?"

Like Clonebug says, if we keep going highway speed we keep dry. If it looks like more than a shower we stop and put our rain gear on.

Even without a roof, as we age it gets harder to get in and out. My wife has bad knees so it will come to a point in time where it will just not be possible any more. Untill then I added a grab handle on the right side. We have the steering wheel on the driver's side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paulinpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest Contortions For Entry/Exit Of A Manx With A Soft Top Reply with quote

Removable steering wheel in the thunder bug helps a ton
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: