Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '66 I bought in high school
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Greetings all. I've been lurking on this forum for a while now. Props to all who make it what it is. Wonderful community, excellent resource. I've learned quite a bit, but I still have a long way to go. Many questions I have. First, a little history.
I bought this car my senior year in high school, 1985. I found it in a parking lot with a "for sale" sign on it, $1,850. I offered $1,500 cash, but the owner was a salesman and I was a teenager so...Anyway it had a cheap white maako paint job with overspray everywhere, especially the rubber seals. And some really dim 6v headlights. Not even yellow, more like bronze.
I drove it for a while then decided to "restore" it. Not knowing much about originality and not having the internet as a resource, I did what I could. Rare parts were either nla or "swap meet items" Now I know to not throw anything out no matter how bad it looks (windlass, engine compartment sound/firewall materials, etc.) Shocked It didn't have dash trim or I probably would have tossed that as well.
With the pandemic keeping me home, I started playing with the car. Fixing and reworking a few things. Thankfully, I didn't get covid, but I did get thesamba fever/ ghia fever. Whatever it's called.
Here's a few pics and then I'll ask some questions. OK maybe a lot of questions. Please feel free to chime in on any comments, questions, gripes, complaints, etc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Welcome. Yes, this forum is fantastic. But so is your 66. What a beauty. Nice color and you've done an amazing job. Looks like you have mostly kept it stock. I like that.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

I sent my door handles and ignition switch to Gabriel and he matched everything to one key. However, the ignition switch I sent him apparently was not correct for '66 so he supplied the correct switch. But , they are different in size and the new one he provided doesn't fit.

The old one on the right, new one on the left.

Much taller profile on the new one. Could the dash have been modified? It does look kinda hacked up inside.

I may just have to use the other key with the old switch for now. I do plan on a body off resto to repair rusted panel sections...and possibly the dash now.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Beautiful car! I also am from the HB area and graduated from WHS. We moved to Charlotte in 2006 and I miss things out there like the Pomona Swap Meet every other month. So many good parts available out there. (Or used to be)

So many good days back in the 80's.
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Thank you. I think we tend to be somewhat skeptical about our own cars as we know them inside and out. It looks a lot better in the pics, as usual. The 30+ year old paint is stating to show signs of its age. But I still get lots of thumbs up while driving. The best one came from a guy in a 100k Ferrari
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

OMG the eighties! Marina H.S. here. I actually live in Westminster now!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Looks like someone put a bus or beetle switch in it and modified the opening to make it fit. The other one is a correct Ghia switch.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Looks like someone put a bus or beetle switch in it and modified the opening to make it fit. The other one is a correct Ghia switch.
Thanks. that's what I thought. Seems like a lot of work just for a switch. But then again, some of the dash molding mount holes were filled (poorly, if I may), so who knows what was going on.
The car came with these wiper arms. I'm not sure if they are correct but they sure don't push against the window very hard. Kinda floppy. Is this common or maybe the springs are wore out?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Welcome, Beautiful Ghia, I probably saw you cruising it around back in the day, Ocean View, HB 81.....Those were def the fun days in So Cal!!

Look forward to watching what you do to bring it back to a renewed life!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Very nice Applause And great-looking color too...

Those look like the correct wiper arms for a '66. My '67 has the same type and the wipers are marginal at best. You might try bending the arm a bit to put more pressure on the blade. Get some good quality rubber blades too.

Replacing the spring in the base with one that's a little stronger might help as well.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

That’s awesome you have your hs ghia!
I had a crusty 67 in Hs too. They do make an impression now. Not so much then. At least mine didn’t 😃
I thought the wiper arms should be hooked style 66-67 (and probably some other years too). If the ones you have work I probably wouldn’t sweat the details.
Very pretty Ghia😎

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Rain X is an old VW windshields best friend during a rain storm

Beauty of a Ghia BTW!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words. Means a lot coming from you guys.
rcooled wrote:
Very nice Applause And great-looking color too...

Those look like the correct wiper arms for a '66. My '67 has the same type and the wipers are marginal at best. You might try bending the arm a bit to put more pressure on the blade. Get some good quality rubber blades too.

Replacing the spring in the base with one that's a little stronger might help as well.

I did get new blades I found in the classifieds. I will try a stronger spring and maybe bend the arms a bit. I'm not really too worried about it. I don't feel these cars should be driven in wet weather. I just like things to work properly. Heck I don't even like to wash it. I just use detail spray and maybe a waterless wash solution from my detail supplier.
Thanks for the advice.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Those wiper arms look correct but those look like they've been painted black. The original finish is silver. Paint I think.
My wipers aren't that good. Rain-X helps but they tend to leave gaps in the wiped path. I might try new springs too.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

They are actually silver. The arms have been chromed so there's a lot of contrast. Bad lighting too.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Hi, welcome. Your Ghia look fine. Popcorn
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Thank you kgj. I just read 2 of your threads. I couldn't stop reading! Very inspiring, well documented.

I installed new door hinges (KGPR) and now I want to put on new hinge pillar seals. After looking at "how to threads" and lots of pics, I think I got the seal in the right place. Before I glue it place, is there supposed to be a dome light switch seal? Looks like a tight fit. I've seen pics of the hinge pillar seal installed but I couldn't find any pics that showed the switch seal also. Thank you for any advice.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

It is pretty tight but I think you can move it towards the interior more. Here's a picture of a 1970 and how it was installed:

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

Thanks Marc. Perfect photo, exactly what I was looking for! I will move it in a bit. Appreciate it.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 I bought in high school Reply with quote

HBGhia wrote:
Thanks Marc. Perfect photo, exactly what I was looking for! I will move it in a bit. Appreciate it.

Your Welcome. BAT Auctions has literally thousands of pictures available and it's a great resource. If you've not looked at BAT, here's the link to all Ghia auctions that have been on BAT:
https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/karmann-ghia/

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: