Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello, new member here with transmission question.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nkozy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Hello, new member here with transmission question. Reply with quote

Hello there, this is my first post here, new to the forum.
Finally picked up another bug after I sold my last one about 10 years ago. Its a 63 with a 1600dp. Little rough but runs and drives pretty good. I have a few ideas for motor mods I may run by you all coming soon. My question is sometimes the trans pops out of gear if you let the clutch out to quick, but stays in gear if you hold the shifter until the clutch is disengaged. Is this an adjustment issue or something inside the trans I need to fix? any ideas?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, new member here with transmission question. Reply with quote

Well, you can try the easy stuff first.

Check for a worn/missing shift rod bushing and/or worn rubber inserts in the coupler below the access plate underneath the rear seat. Also, see if the forward trans mount is loose or broken. You can try adjusting the plate beneath shift lever to make sure that you’re fully engaging first gear. Sliding the plate a little to the rear will give more push toward engaging 1st & 3rd gears.

If none of these things help, there might be an internal problem that’ll require opening up the trans.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Nkozy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, new member here with transmission question. Reply with quote

Thanks, I looked under the plate, its a little loose but not to bad. I slid it back a bit which made it feel like the engagement was better but still pops out of third. Will check the tranny mount later this week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: