Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on class 11 tires.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boosted60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

I just got my 70 class 11 style up and running again.
It sat in storage waiting for the subaru swap for years, but just never had the time.
Got a great deal on a 1600 dp and swapped it in last weekend.
Shes purring like a kitten, but needs new shoes.

Currently, its riding on 30x9.5x15 on a 6" wheel on the back and 205/75/15 on a 4.5" wheel on the front.
It looks really cool with a bit of a rake, but id like it to sit a little flatter.
it has a 3" body lift, reindexed rear and adjusted front. no rubbing except a little on full lock.

i have been considering going 235/75/15 on all 4 corners.

There are pics of a light blue class 11 with these tires on it floating around online and i love the look.

Now, i feel like i can easily put those tires on my current wheels and go about my business.

However i traded a guy some old beat up dan gurneys for a set of new method mr101 wheels.
the only problem is theyre all 15x4 and 5x205 bolt pattern, so id need to run adapters with them.

Now ive heard of people running the 235 tire on a 4.5" wheel, but never a 4"
The old man who traded me, said he had mounted 235s on them already for his class 11, but wanted to go a different direction look wise.

Am i asking for trouble running 235/75/15 on 15x4" wheels on all 4 corners?

They really are gorgeous and id love to keep them if possible.

I am also open to running 7.00-15 tires on the front even though the tire design would be mismatched.

i guess im more concerned with the rears and stability.

This car is mostly street driven, with barely any freeway use ever, but i would like to tow it out to the high desert from time to time and have some fun on different terrains.

all opinions welcome! thanks.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

Boosted60 wrote:
Am i asking for trouble running 235/75/15 on 15x4" wheels on all 4 corners?

Nope. You'll be a little sluggish with the 1600 but you won't have problems.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boosted60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

good to hear.

it has a 30 on the back now and drives decent.
Hopefully with the lightweight wheels it will feel a bit more peppy.

im still deciding what tires to go with.

These look like a good option.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

Any horror stories involving wheel adapters? I figure as long as theyre periodically checked, should be OK?

Now to figure out why the pivot bolts in my trailing arms are making noise.
i noticed it has washers on each side of the bushing. Shouldnt they both be on the outside?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

Horror stories like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zoom in on those rear wheels.

Been on there for over 100,000 miles, many of those offroad, including pre-running offroad race courses like Barstow and no problems. I recommend pressed in studs all around.

235s are NO problem on 4" or 4.5" wide rims. Unless you're trying to get them mounted at a major chain tire shop. Then the knuckleheads think it IS a problem. Yet they will mount tires that are "stretched" for guys with lowered and "stanced" cars. Go figure Rolling Eyes
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

Personally wheel adapters make me nervous. I took them off my sand rail because they were thin cast aluminum ones. I have been running a set on my fiberglass street buggy now for 3 summers (they came with the car and they look to be better quality) without a problem but eventually they will be coming off too. Mostly to get the offset under control but for simplicity and peace of mind. Any parts left off will not fail.

Why would you want the same width and tread pattern front and rear? They are doing a completely different job and are also loaded totally differently. Getting the most out of your car would include matching the tires to the job they are doing... not?

Just something to think about...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Why would you want the same width and tread pattern front and rear? They are doing a completely different job and are also loaded totally differently. Getting the most out of your car would include matching the tires to the job they are doing... not?

Just something to think about...

I agree. It's not a Chevy 4x4 pickup.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

I was running Chevy wheels with 4 lug adapters. Car was hit from behind, directly in the left rear wheel, by a drunk. The adapters survived. Not much else did.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

Wow! That right there is the ultimate test!
Boosted60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I've run adapters on other cars without issue as well, just seeing what the general consensus was around here.

As far as the tire selection goes, i picked 235s all around because thats what it seemed like most guys were running on class 11 style builds.

It currently has 30s on the back and 205/75/15s on the front. It definitely has that california rake to it. I wanted a more level look.
Cornering left a little to be desired with such a big difference between front and rear tire on the street.

I was considering 7-15s for the front.

However i ordered the 235s already and am going to try them out. worst case scenario i can always get a different tire for the front.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

215/75 R15 BFG's & trans with 3:47 R&P can actually use ALL 4 gears on the street

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boosted60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

Here's how mine sits now.
Just mounted the tires today.
Waiting on the studs and adapters to arrive.
Wonder how much I'm going to have to stretch the front fenders. Haha

stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

I like those Method wheels what size are they?
Boosted60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

15x4 all around -19 offset . so around -29 offset with the adapters.

I hope it doesnt mess with my scrub angle too much. im going to compare with the current wheels when i get all the parts needed to switch over.

i have almost everything ordered, but cant find the damn lug nuts i need.

its so annoying that the adapters come threaded for m12 when most of the aftermarket wide 5 wheels come with a r14 ball seat.
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

235/75/15 all around on 4.5" wide wheels. Pretty much everyone with a Class 11 or Class 11 style Bugs run the same size tires all around.

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

mkparker wrote:
235/75/15 all around on 4.5" wide wheels. Pretty much everyone with a Class 11 or Class 11 style Bugs run the same size tires all around.

That bug looks awesome. Very nice.
Boosted60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

That looks badass! I want to ditch the tube bumpers and go back to OEM like yours.

Well, here she is all buttoned up.
I love the look of it. I kind of miss my black wheels, but I like this look too.
Car drives great and no weird vibrations from the unbalanced wheels. Took it up to about 60 mph on the drive home.

It did require some pulling in the front to clear the tires, but very minimal.

cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Horror stories like:

235s are NO problem on 4" or 4.5" wide rims. Unless you're trying to get them mounted at a major chain tire shop. Then the knuckleheads think it IS a problem. Yet they will mount tires that are "stretched" for guys with lowered and "stanced" cars. Go figure Rolling Eyes

WAIT WAIT WAIT... hang on, hold the train, stop the presses... yes I've seen the "stretched" tires MANY times and I still don't get it... I 've also see the major camber setups and that makes no sense either... and what you're saying about major chains, yeah, that makes sense... I can't even get Discount Tire to put air in my Goldwing tires because of the "liability"... what??

My 74 standard has 15x5, maybe 15x5.5's rims. Tires are 195/65. You're saying I could put a 235 on there??? Like... a 235/75 BFGoodrich KO2?
Boosted60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

look at the picture right above your post.
thats a 235/75/15 tire on a 15x4 wheel.

it drives great. much smoother than before and steering effort did not change much if at all.
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

How did you mount the tires? Spoons and sweat? Or did you get a tire shop to do it?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on class 11 tires. Reply with quote

You can make the ball seat lug nuts you need, I have done this in the past for my own needs.
I answered you in the wheel and tire section Boostet60,where ask the same question.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: