Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom, Functional Interior lighting?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

Has anybody done anything creative to add some functional interior lighting to their Ghia? Would be nice if there were some unobtrusive "under dash" lights to light up the floor and seats a bit when a door is opened up. It's a luxury I know but I think it would be useful.
andreas5bmw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

Yes I put dome light into each door panel,,,on the bottom of the door panels,,,they all would light up when I opened the door,,, at night time the interior of the car is light up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

Early convertibles (up to model year 64 or 65...not sure the last year for it exactly) have an under dash light instead of an overhead light. The donor car I bought for my 66 coupe was a 64 convertible, so one mod I made on my car was to cut out the under dash light mount from the vert and weld it in under my coupe's dash.

I can't stand overhead interior lights because they turn your windows into mirrors at night. I always disable them in every car I own. I much prefer under dash lighting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

sigh. I really don't need another interior project but this idea is just too appealing.

In theory, a couple of LED strips under the dash and probably another under the parcel tray should do it.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

Figment wrote:
sigh. I really don't need another interior project but this idea is just too appealing.

In theory, a couple of LED strips under the dash and probably another under the parcel tray should do it.

Seems like a) all the LED lights I see plug into a lighter charger (lame) and b) how do we time them into the door switch. There apparently is one since there is a light on my rear view mirror that is SUPPOSED to trigger when the door opens (doesn't currently)

Any ideas on how how we'd make LEDs work but it sounds like what I'd like. Just have them stuck up under the dash would be ideal.
(o)=!=(o)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

I put (2) 18" Amber led strips under the dash. I put a 3 way toggle under the dash near the rear window defrost switch. That way I can turn it off, have it come on when the doors open, or always on. Makes all the difference in the world!
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

(o)=!=(o) wrote:
I put (2) 18" Amber led strips under the dash. I put a 3 way toggle under the dash near the rear window defrost switch. That way I can turn it off, have it come on when the doors open, or always on. Makes all the difference in the world!

Can you elaborate? What you bought, how you powered it specifically? Pretend I have no idea what I'm doing. Smile
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

X2, I would be interested in how you wired this up. Thanks
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

If you currently have a dome light in the car, it is constant powered by 12V and the door switches create the ground to complete the circuit. You could just tie off the current 2 terminals on the dome/mirror light or power separately (1 wire 12V)and tie into the ground coming from the doors connection center of dash. (1 wire GND) Interior light of your choice will work with doors.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, Functional Interior lighting? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
If you currently have a dome light in the car, it is constant powered by 12V and the door switches create the ground to complete the circuit. You could just tie off the current 2 terminals on the dome/mirror light or power separately (1 wire 12V)and tie into the ground coming from the doors connection center of dash. (1 wire GND) Interior light of your choice will work with doors.

I have a vert so the dome light is above the mirror. it's not currently working but that could be either bulb or fuse. I'll check both (Fuse #10 I think).

I wish there were a video. I'm reminded of The Office where Michael Scott says "Okay, explain it to me like I'm a 10 year old". They explain it and he calmly says "Okay, explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old". Youtube is failing me miserably here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: