Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
https://www.napaonline.com/offers/20-off

20% off NAPA online orders thru 8/31 with code BACK2SCHOOL

It says the awning does not qualify for the discount.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
termuehlen wrote:
revolution337 wrote:
I already tried flipping and rotating the inner gutter clamp piece, but that only made the alignment worse. What I have pictured is the best alignment that I was able to get from the clamp.

I did reach out to NorthWesty about this, I am waiting to hear back from them.

Any news on this fitment issue with your awning brackets?

I have not received any email back from NorthWesty. I was going to try and give them a call, but it honestly slipped my mind until now. I will report back here with my findings once I get a hold of them. Thanks for the reminder.

Anyone updates? Anyone using the non drilling type brackets?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

^^^Bump

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

I've been using the mounts (just two) from RMW/VC for about 6 years. They can be drilled if desired, but I have never used that feature. They have held securely all this time with only the clamping to the gutter. I do a lot of off road driving to get to remote areas and have never had to tighten them or worry about them coming loose. They have been rock solid with no drilling into the body.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
revolution337 wrote:
termuehlen wrote:
revolution337 wrote:
I already tried flipping and rotating the inner gutter clamp piece, but that only made the alignment worse. What I have pictured is the best alignment that I was able to get from the clamp.

I did reach out to NorthWesty about this, I am waiting to hear back from them.

Any news on this fitment issue with your awning brackets?

I have not received any email back from NorthWesty. I was going to try and give them a call, but it honestly slipped my mind until now. I will report back here with my findings once I get a hold of them. Thanks for the reminder.

The awning brackets I made years ago clamped to the gutter and just rested on the two roof pillars.

Still going strong all these years later.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

What I really want to know. How is the fit of Rocky Mountain, GW, or North Westy brackets (Non drilling style) with the Napa awning? Are they compatible? “Plug and play?” Some mods needed? If I’m going to throw down the $ for brackets. I want to know what I’m getting into. Thanks again for the feedback. Looking forward to mounting this up soon.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Thanks guys.

What I really want to know. How is the fit of Rocky Mountain, GW, or North Westy brackets (Non drilling style) with the Napa awning? Are they compatible? “Plug and play?” Some mods needed? If I’m going to throw down the $ for brackets. I want to know what I’m getting into. Thanks again for the feedback. Looking forward to mounting this up soon.

Sorry Xevin, I've only used the RMW mounts with the ARB awning, so no direct experience with the NAPA version. That said, I can't imagine it wouldn't work just fine as the mounts have several mounting holes. One set of holes is bound to work. At the very worst, you'd have to drill some new holes in the mount, but I'll bet you a nickel that it works as is.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

No problem Vanlife Geek. Your post is what I’m thinking too.

Boy do I love that Vanagon Shocked

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

these awnings look great.

I have a question about the 'foot' of the poles at the end of the awning. Is there a way to stake it down? Sometimes the wind can get pretty strong and disrupt the tranquil home base.

Mounting the 'feet' to the vehicle makes things easier having a solid mounting point regardless of terrain.

Does anyone have a photo of the base of the awning poles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
these awnings look great.

I have a question about the 'foot' of the poles at the end of the awning. Is there a way to stake it down? Sometimes the wind can get pretty strong and disrupt the tranquil home base.

Mounting the 'feet' to the vehicle makes things easier having a solid mounting point regardless of terrain.

Does anyone have a photo of the base of the awning poles?

No there isn't. The legs of the awning have caps on the end of them. I replaced mine with the ARB's for exactly that feature.
I swapped the end pieces of the legs as there is only one channel for them both to be stored and the ARB's are too long.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Thanks guys.

Both the GW and the RMW brackets will have to be drilled for the awning to bolt up.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Thank you Timwhy. I just placed an order.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

For those of you who are using this awning with one of GW's mounts similar to this one, do you recall which size hardware you used?

I'm estimating an 8x15mm bolt, but I just wanted to piggyback onto someone else's experience here.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
For those of you who are using this awning with one of GW's mounts similar to this one, do you recall which size hardware you used?

I'm estimating an 8x15mm bolt, but I just wanted to piggyback onto someone else's experience here.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-10-24-x-1-2-in-Allen-Drive-Cap-Screws-4-Count/3024576

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-8-32-x-1-2-in-All...lsrc=aw.ds

In the pic it was or the other but can not remember which. I used a correct SS Jam nut inside the channel, have worked great for years on all my mounted awnings.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Miked914 wrote:
Found this Thread a few weeks back and ordered one myself. $102w/tax and free shipping. I have a Bay, not a Vanagon, with an even early roof rack so I just used the included hardware mounted directly to the rack.
I've noticed reading comments a lot of assumption on when/where/how the thing is going to break and fail. Why not wait until one does then find out from that person what happened? IDK, I got a hundred dollar awning and seems like the glass is half full! Cool

Let me know if you don't want bay pics here and I'll take them out.

Can you post pictures of how you mounted to your rack? I have a split bus and I am trying to figure out a way to mount my awning without drilling any holes in my bus. Any help/suggestions appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

seshbus wrote:
Can you post pictures of how you mounted to your rack? I have a split bus and I am trying to figure out a way to mount my awning without drilling any holes in my bus. Any help/suggestions appreciated!

The key part is having a roof rack. Do you have a roof rack? It comes with brackets to sandwich a roof rack.

Like this picture posted earlier in the thread.

seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

It comes with brackets to sandwich a roof rack.

That sandwich pic is exactly what I needed. For some reason could not wrap my head around how this was supposed to be used. Yes I have rack and now I should be able to mount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Sadly these are now out of stock and will not be available until next spring. Crying or Very sad

Erik
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

bridgetroll13 wrote:
Sadly these are now out of stock and will not be available until next spring. Crying or Very sad

Erik

It seems to be zip code dependent. I had the wrong area in my browser and I found the same thing but when I changed it to my area, I was able to purchase one.
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

When I first called one of my local stores early afternoon yesterday they said I would have to pay shipping (acknowledging that it said free shipping on the website) as there were none in the mid-Atlantic region warehouses so it had to come from Michigan. I told them I would scratch my head on that and call them back. When I spoke to them again two hours later the guy I spoke to said after checking that there were none left anywhere. He promised to check into it further and call me back which to his credit he did. According to what he was told the manufacturer was out of stock and wouldn't have more until spring 2022. Checking the website when I called them back the search could no longer find the awning.

Erik
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: